VoodooShield - Have you tried it? Would you recommended it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date

Have you tried VoodooShield?

• Yes, I'm still using it

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Yes, but I've uninstalled it

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • No, I have never tried VoodooShield

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • I will try it now!

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
FB_IMG_14699625471945081.jpg During avira installation.. Is this a false warning, or it shows this warning each time a program Is using a command line? The program Is in autopilot mode

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
View attachment 110413 During avira installation.. Is this a false warning, or it shows this warning each time a program Is using a command line? The program Is in autopilot mode
this is normal behavior. It is recommended to switch to disable/install mode during installation, if you don't want to be pestered by those pop-ups. After you install, or uninstall, you will get a prompt a few minutes later, reminding you to turn your protection back on

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
depends how you use it.
If you put it on autopilot, you risk certain legit software being blocked. So if you run a lot of niche software, don't do that
Better to put it in smart mode. Then you will be asked whether to block, and you will be given smart info to help you make your decision.
FYI in pro version, you can choose your preferred level, anywhere between reckless, balanced and paranoid
Why you say 'Blocked"?
In no mode it blocks, but alerts i.e you dont have to go into the GUI to allow something but click alert & allow.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello!! what do you think of this?
I´m using VoodooShield free and shadow defender...when something comes in...VS stops it... and at reboot...SD leave my OS as new.
Another pc: with VS + Reboot and restore RX.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards, Hernán
Hi Hernan
shadow defender is extremely close to undefeatable. It is very popular with malware testers.
I am not familiar with restore RX, but I am sure that others are.

Hernán

Level 1
Sep 29, 2016
I have seen videos of "shadow defender" on youtube ... not really protect 100%, these videos are of many years (older versions), for that reason I installed VS ... to stop anything that comes in, VS is "Always on ".
Reboot and restore RX besides being free, give me more "confidence" as well is that starts before windows. Shadow Defender and Reboot and restore serve the same purpose.
But do not protect me when ...all your files have been encrypted and you ask for money in return. (in a non protected SD folder).
I'm open to all suggestions.

Hernán

Level 1
Sep 29, 2016
Look... I use both.... and yes... both protect mbr
I´m always doing...experiments haha
In SD at the moment you switch on the pc.... when windows starts...you shut down..power off... when power on again..windows starts to recover the system... BUT in Reboot and restore RX does not happen...
I know SD and RRRX protect MBR, but only (for now) RRRX protect the right moment when windows starts to load

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Look... I use both.... and yes... both protect mbr
I´m always doing...experiments haha
In SD at the moment you switch on the pc.... when windows starts...you shut down..power off... when power on again..windows starts to recover the system... BUT in Reboot and restore RX does not happen...
I know SD and RRRX protect MBR, but only (for now) RRRX protect the right moment when windows starts to load
see this post
https://malwaretips.com/threads/goznym-frankenstein-trojan-has-four-faces.63868/#post-547803
and ask @hjlbx over there about your issue, he probably knows something about it.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello!! what do you think of this?
I´m using VoodooShield free and shadow defender...when something comes in...VS stops it... and at reboot...SD leave my OS as new.
Another pc: with VS + Reboot and restore RX.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards, Hernán

Those are good combos.

The disadvantage - if you consider it such - to using Shadow Defender to boot into Shadow Mode is that on-going soft updates are not committed. If you are using Shadow Defender on-demand then it is less of an issue.

Reboot Restore RX has the advantage of saving on-going updates, but they are discarded upon reboot. It is essentially the same as using Shadow Defender to boot into Shadow Mode.

The unsaved soft updates are not a real concern unless you do not update everything for a long while - a few weeks or more. Remember, AV signature updates are continual according to a schedule - but since VS doesn't use local signatures you don't have to worry about signature updates not being updated.

Make sense ?

Hernán

Level 1
Sep 29, 2016
Yes, you're right, the most common practice I do..often ... is when a cumulative update is released ... download it to an unprotected area or pendrive ... restart with Internet off, I leave the protection of shadow defend or RRRX, update and return to normal. The topic that VS does not depend on local updates like antivirus ... in my case is very important, I add another level of security ... in case RRRX or SD fail in some way.
I´ve been using SD and RRRX for years ... since I got tired of Deep freeze ... and never had a problem ... but ...

Kind regard and sorry for my english.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
VS is a great soft, I use it depending of my firewall. If i use a firewall with HIPS or having a "paranoid mode" I do not use VS, however i use it with other firewalls that require less interaction from me.
All that said, I think a very interesting soft for non-newbies

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I love it. I deployed it throughout my home. No issues so far except it can be daunting at times for some users here. For example installing a good many things is purely blocked so I need to sometimes whitelist. Not a big deal, once everything is setup for all of your users it should run by itself and take care of business.

What I find really cool is - on some systems the icon will flash.. No reason.. System is just sitting there! Then I check the logs and find some stupid background Lenovo process tried to run Netsh and other command line junk with literally no reason to ever do that. So I just let Voodoo work it's magic and forget about it and the machine runs perfectly fine..

Amazing program.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
i highly recommend it. and im saying this based on just use of the free version!

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I tried and uninstalled. The product is mediocre at best, blocks legit programs on auto-pilot (the false positives are beyond any limit). The community is hostile and will jump on you if you say anything bad (same as Comodo, Webroot), the developer is really aggressive and arrogant. The product is useless without any active internet protection, doesn't know if a file is malware or not if it's digital signed and much more (i also talked about this product in a few topics), this product is really overrated.

I will not recommend to anyone, in fact I will warn people to stay away form it.
I would have to highly disagree with you. I've been beta testing it since the start. You obviously have no idea how it works. What exactly is "internet protection"? I've had a very good relationship and never had any issues with the developer/creator being arrogant. It's well written and constantly being updated and improved.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
after a while of abscence on my system , I reinstalled it yesterday......(@_CyberGhosT_ settings ) and I must say the product has come a long way and it feels lighter and faster on my system , since the last time i've tested it. I can recommend it to everyone......certainly a must have in each security config!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.