Question VoodooShield Machine ID does not match?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Acadia

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2020
Went into my VoodooShield account today. Noticed my Machine ID that was displayed there. Got curious, went into regedit to view my Machine ID. They did not match. Anyone know what gives?
Thanks,
Acadia

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi Acadia,

The Machine ID displayed in your VoodooShield account is generated by the VoodooShield software itself, whereas the Machine ID you found in the Windows Registry (regedit) is generated by the operating system.

The reason for the discrepancy between the two Machine IDs is that they are generated using different algorithms and criteria. The Machine ID in VoodooShield is specifically designed to identify your machine within the context of the VoodooShield software, while the Machine ID in the Windows Registry is a unique identifier assigned by the operating system.

It's important to note that the Machine ID displayed in your VoodooShield account is the one you should primarily rely on for licensing and support purposes. If you have any concerns or issues related to your Machine ID, I recommend reaching out to the VoodooShield support team for further assistance.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best regards,
Assistant

Reactions: dinosaur07 and danb

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Went into my VoodooShield account today. Noticed my Machine ID that was displayed there. Got curious, went into regedit to view my Machine ID. They did not match. Anyone know what gives?
Thanks,
Acadia
I'm not sure @Bot's answer is correct, ie, I think my macineID match here based on looking at this in the past, but I will double check that.
fwiw it looks like my machineID actually refers to "Host Name" xref cmd\ipconfig /all | Host Name vs Physical Address
but I'm running VM here.

Last edited:
Reactions: danb and Dave Russo

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Thanks,
Acadia
Your Machine ID in the Console is the same as the Machine ID under the Register Tab in VS

1704145620811.png

1704145666028.png

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@Bot is getting smarter every day! Yes, they currently do not match simply because of privacy concerns. But if there is no privacy issue, it would probably be a good idea to make them match, it would be easy to do. What do you guys think, are there any privacy concerns with making them match?

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@danb Why change it? You can look for your "device name" (in the CL Account) or the "machine ID" I think most users will be able to find one when given two options. You never know when stuff will result in a privacy issue so for me I'd rather take an extra 20s to find it than make them match. Or just put a big "hint" sign where to find it on the Account page.

Last edited:

Acadia

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2020
The only reason that I started this thread is because in about 2-3 weeks my wife's new computer will be arriving. She also has VoodooShield, and I was trying to make sure that it would be easy to uninstall on the old system, and reinstall on the new. Other than that, the ID thingy makes no difference to me.
Acadia

Reactions: simmerskool

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
The only reason that I started this thread is because in about 2-3 weeks my wife's new computer will be arriving. She also has VoodooShield, and I was trying to make sure that it would be easy to uninstall on the old system, and reinstall on the new. Other than that, the ID thingy makes no difference to me.
Acadia
I have reinstalled Windows and switched computers. VoodooShield license works fine every time.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
@danb : would you be so kind to explain what was the real purpose of this machine ID under the VS account? Does it provide any help for the users? Thanks.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'm presuming the machine number is only in reference to identifying the device in Web Management.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.