Advice Request VoodooShield Pro No Longer Installs On My Computer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
Hello Forum, I am a new member on the forum and I'm posting now because I have encountered a strange problem: VoodooShield will not install itself properly on my computer. I have been using VoodooShield for about three years. First, I started with the free version, and then quickly went with the Pro version. VoodooShield has heretofore worked fine for me. But ever since I tried installing the latest version it will not install. I have tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it several times, and each time I get this:
Julian A Smith_5_56_41 PM.jpg

I've tried to thoroughly uninstall every remnant of the program even going into the registry to find and delete any and all registry keys in order to perform as clean a reinstall as possible. Each time I reinstall the program it first takes a 'snapshot' and the tiny shield appears in the taskbar. As soon as I hover my cursor over the shield it promptly disappears so that I cannot right-click on the setting controls. The following are the steps I take in trying to (re)install the program: 1. Go to downloads and click on setup. 2. After setup is complete the program dialog box advises to either: (a) enter an email and password if Pro version has been previously purchased (No product key needed if previously registered) or (b) click on the free version on right-side of dialog box. When I enter my email and password into the left-hand side of the dialog box a message is returned that registration is successful and then a 'snapshot" process is automatically initiated, and the small shield appears in the taskbar but the shield vanishes when the cursor hovers over it. No desktop shield appears, as it once did and when I click on the VoodooShield icon on the desktop the dialog box depicted above pops up. The only other security program I have running is MalwareBytes which has never run into conflict with VoodooShield. I'd greatly appreciate help in getting VoodooShield up and running again. Thanks so much.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello Forum, I am a new member on the forum and I'm posting now because I have encountered a strange problem: VoodooShield will not install itself properly on my computer. I have been using VoodooShield for about three years. First, I started with the free version, and then quickly went with the Pro version. VoodooShield has heretofore worked fine for me. But ever since I tried installing the latest version it will not install. I have tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it several times, and each time I get this:View attachment 208186
I've tried to thoroughly uninstall every remnant of the program even going into the registry to find and delete any and all registry keys in order to perform as clean a reinstall as possible. Each time I reinstall the program it first takes a 'snapshot' and the tiny shield appears in the taskbar. As soon as I hover my cursor over the shield it promptly disappears so that I cannot right-click on the setting controls. The following are the steps I take in trying to (re)install the program: 1. Go to downloads and click on setup. 2. After setup is complete the program dialog box advises to either: (a) enter an email and password if Pro version has been previously purchased (No product key needed if previously registered) or (b) click on the free version on right-side of dialog box. When I enter my email and password into the left-hand side of the dialog box a message is returned that registration is successful and then a 'snapshot" process is automatically initiated, and the small shield appears in the taskbar but the shield vanishes when the cursor hovers over it. No desktop shield appears, as it once did and when I click on the VoodooShield icon on the desktop the dialog box depicted above pops up. The only other security program I have running is MalwareBytes which has never run into conflict with VoodooShield. I'd greatly appreciate help in getting VoodooShield up and running again. Thanks so much.
Trying installing without entering your license info. In other words, do as if you want the free version. If it asks whether to take a snapshot, say No. Reboot once or twice, do a snapshot, and then enter your license info.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Where were you installing the new version from? I had a small glitch when installing a new version recently, but not the same as yours. I've never seen a message like that before. I would be wary of any popup with instructions to install whatever it's referring to, and would rule out following advice from that popup. Have you contacted support through the website? That's the best I can do for you.

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
Trying installing without entering your license info. In other words, do as if you want the free version. If it asks whether to take a snapshot, say No. Reboot once or twice, do a snapshot, and then enter your license info.
Where were you installing the new version from? I had a small glitch when installing a new version recently, but not the same as yours. I've never seen a message like that before. I would be wary of any popup with instructions to install whatever it's referring to, and would rule out following advice from that popup. Have you contacted support through the website? That's the best I can do for you.

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
Dear OldSchool, thanks for replying to my post. I just wanted to reply to your suggestions. I installed the latest version from the official VoodooShield website. The popup you were referring to comes from one of the applications within the VoodooShield program itself. Anyway, thank you for responding.

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
Dear shmu26, thank you for replying to my post. I tried your suggestion and here is the result: 1. The registration dialog box appears:

2. I enter my email, as per your suggestion, into the right-hand side of the dialog box and click 'Register VoodooShield Free' button, and the next thing I see is the Windows Explorer dialog box: 'VoodooShield Has Stopped Working'. So, as you can see, I've got something of a problem with this program suddenly. But thanks for your suggestion.

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
Dave Russo et.al, VoodooShield will not let the program proceed any further unless and until an email id is entered into either the left-hand 'Pro' side of the registration dialog box or the right-hand side in the 'free' side.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dear shmu26, thank you for replying to my post. I tried your suggestion and here is the result: 1. The registration dialog box appears: View attachment 208308

2. I enter my email, as per your suggestion, into the right-hand side of the dialog box and click 'Register VoodooShield Free' button, and the next thing I see is the Windows Explorer dialog box: 'VoodooShield Has Stopped Working'. So, as you can see, I've got something of a problem with this program suddenly. But thanks for your suggestion.View attachment 208309
And you are not getting any response from Voodooshield support?

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
Hello MalwareTips Forum,
I just wanted to post an update and follow up on the problem I was having earlier this year (last posting was on Feb. 12, 2019) with installing VoodooShield on my H-P Pavilion Win 7 (64 bit). The problem, it turns out, was with another program installed on my computer. I have had Cucusoft's Netguard on my machine for several years. I have been using Netguard longer than I have used VoodooShield. It turns out, unfortunately, that these two programs are not compatible with each other when both are installed together in the same Windows 7 OS. Netguard is a program which monitors real-time internet connections ( i.e., what connections my machine is making to the internet at any given time) and it also monitors total monthly data usage. The problem between VoodooShield and Netguard involves SQL issues. I know nothing about Structured Query Language (SQL) but the two programs use SQL protocol in their functioning. (Please see the e-mail attachments of my correspondence with VoodooShield about the problem.) I just wanted to post the outcome of the problem I was having with VoodooShield. The problem was that VS kept crashing as long as Cucusoft's Netguard was installed and active on my machine. Although Dan from VS support was pretty final in his assessment of the problem I won't give up just yet in looking for a solution. Thanks all.
Julian A Smith_10_34_55 PM.jpg
Julian A Smith_10_34_55 PM.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have no idea what benefit you get from NetGuard as I've never used it, but I wouldn't use it if it's no longer supported. Unsupported software may still run on a machine but it may not be fully functional and/or may interfere with other software or OS processes, and you may not be aware of it. I experienced this with TinyWall for Windows 10 1809+. I would trust Dan's view on the subject of a fix, but the choice is yours. Maybe you need to decide which application is more valuable to you. Good luck!

Reactions: stefanos and shmu26

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The problem, it turns out, was with another program installed on my computer. I have had Cucusoft's Netguard on my machine for several years. [..] It turns out, unfortunately, that these two programs are not compatible with each other when both are installed together in the same Windows 7 OS. Netguard is a program which monitors real-time internet connections ( i.e., what connections my machine is making to the internet at any given time) and it also monitors total monthly data usage.
Which of Netguard's features do you rely on the most, and can they replaced by another product?

Take a look here - Cucusoft Net Guard Alternatives for Windows - AlternativeTo.net

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Not sure about Cucusoft, heard dd-wrt do a similar job by default, and even better with this:

But of course may happen the device doesn't support it, then I will keep VoodoShield if you feel secure with it and remove Cucusoft.

Regards, :)

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019
I have no idea what benefit you get from NetGuard as I've never used it, but I wouldn't use it if it's no longer supported. Unsupported software may still run on a machine but it may not be fully functional and/or may interfere with other software or OS processes, and you may not be aware of it. I experienced this with TinyWall for Windows 10 1809+. I would trust Dan's view on the subject of a fix, but the choice is yours. Maybe you need to decide which application is more valuable to you. Good luck!
I Appreciate your response Oldschool--Netguard, in and of itself, is still a very good fully functional tool for monitoring real-time internet connections. The program keeps a record of, not only how many connections are currently made, but it also shows the identities of the connections with the option to kill an individual connection. The program also keeps a running total of data usage on a daily basis and it delivers a monthly statement of usage. Back in my internet salad-days I needed a program that could monitor all my data usage because I was with AT&T and my total monthly data allowance was 5 Gb per month! I could keep a pretty good mental estimate of the data used but too often when I switched on my computer, my actual available data was often less than my estimate. It was then that I learned that my data was being siphoned off by programs/connections running in the background (Chrome is notorious for this) and I needed to find a way to at least partially control my usage. Netguard, by the way, has a very small footprint and uses a minuscule amount of resources. However, alas, I have had to disable Netguard in favor of VoodooShield. Admittedly, I no longer need to be concerned about how much data I am using but I still find Netguard useful because of its ability to monitor and identify individual internet connections.

Julian A Smith

Thread author
Feb 9, 2019

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.