Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

1584409943770.png

I've watched this product development for a long time.

Dan has really turned it into a contender.

From the review on the free version: "The free edition is definitely a good addition to your security arsenal..."

On the paid version: "Paying for VoodooShield enabled a boatload of settings...and gets you tech support, which you might need. Most importantly, paid users get the benefit of a feature called WhitelistCloud... "

Congrats to Dan on an overall positive review in a global publication.

1584765600090.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
I've worked with Voodoo shield extensively over the last year, I've observed its development and what its objectives are.Using Voodo Shield along with a reputable AV tightens security considerably. Development is ongoing and will be interesting how it will come out in the long run.

outlawxtorn

Level 6
Verified
Content Creator
May 29, 2017
From the good man Dan himself:

I do agree pretty much 100% with Neil’s review… no software is perfect. The fact is that no one has been reviewing security products longer than Neil, and no one has seen more security products than Neil. He started writing for PCMag when I was in high school, and I used to read the articles. He actually digs into the product and uses it for several days so that he completely understands how the product works and what it is capable of. Which I assume is why VS has made the top 10 Antivirus list several times. Think about all of the companies that did not make the top 10 list. Not too shabby for a guy and his dog from Kansas. In other words, 4 stars is actually pretty good for a PCMag review.

BTW, I did not request the review… he had emailed me several months ago to do an updated review when we were in the middle of VS 5.0-5.5, so I asked him for some more time. This time he emailed me and told me he had already started to review the free version, and would only postpone the review if I really wanted him to. Since VS is always a work in progress, I figured… well, why not?
Some people understand what VS is all about and some do not.
Everyone will know in a few months.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Voodooshield is a little too paranoid for my taste, at default settings, but is arguably the best default-deny protection that an average user can set up on his or her own and use successfully. Grab the free version, put it on autopilot, and you're good. Dan has done a great service to the public with this software, even if security nerds might prefer other solutions for themselves.

B

BVLon

VoodooShield is good for people with heavy security needs, but the paid version is quite expensive and not worth it. It's just another anti-exe. Cuckoo sandbox analysis seemed pointless to me, as it takes ages. It targets very advanced users, but these users know a threat when they see one, without VoodooShield. All in all, it is useless. You can do pretty much the same job by hardening your WD.

B

BVLon

I will post my review on VoodooShield, but I will play a bit more with it before I do it. So far I see a disbalanced approach. Dan Butler has come up with a perfect, smart and neat concept, but the way he has executed this concept is mediocre. He clearly hasn't studied system analysis and design, or if fe has, he did not excel in the subject. I don't see any possible use case of this software.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I have a big reserve to N. Rubenking's reviews...this was a major reason
what was discussed on MT here
and on Wilders also
I think that people should know that nobody...even well-known author...is perfect :cool:

B

BVLon

Why are you guys continuously focused on the reviewer and the company's CEO, instead of being focused on the software itself and the review? VoodooShield with its current marketing is a useless piece of junk. So the reviewer has said you still need an antivirus, that's absolutely true. Even though it uses almost 100 scanning engines and provides sort of default-deny, I personally don't think this is enough. There are many threats that these 2 techniques won't cover. The free version is extremely limited, while the paid is an absolute rip-off for what it offers. I can do the same just with hardened WD and Adlice's VTUploader without paying a penny.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I can do the same just with hardened WD and Adlice's VTUploader without paying a penny.
Maybe you can do the same, but most people can't, and won't take the effort even if they can.

Voodooshield has proven its effectiveness in tests by MT members. I don't use this software myself, but I don't bash it, either.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
VoodooShield Pro was reviewed also by AVLab and has got the same ranking as SecureAPlus Premium. I do not use any of them, but it seems that some opinions about VoodooShield are often personal (not objective) due to personal attitude to the developer. I do not know if the price of VoodooShield Pro is well balanced, but for the home users, the free version is probably worth discussing. I think that in practice both VoodooShield free and SecureAPlus Lite have similar shortcomings, but both can be a good addition to the standard AV. I am not sure if it would be a valuable addition to the top AVs like for example the tweaked KIS, but this is only my personal opinion.(y)

B

BVLon

VoodooShield Pro was reviewed also by AVLab and has got the same ranking as SecureAPlus Premium. I do not use any of them, but it seems that some opinions about VoodooShield are often personal (not objective) due to personal attitude to the developer. I do not know if the price of VoodooShield Pro is well balanced, but for the home users, the free version is probably worth discussing. I think that in practice both VoodooShield free and SecureAPlus Lite have similar shortcomings, but both can be a good addition to the standard AV. I am not sure if it would be a valuable addition to the top AVs like for example the tweaked KIS, but this is only my personal opinion.(y)
Well the developer needs to show a bit less personal attitude and a bit more effort. I find SAP much better and closer to a normal security product. Then again, it's just a personal preference. At least I still got access to settings in its free version. I just noticed that everyone keeps talking about the reviewer and the owner of the company, but no one mentions anything about the software itself or the review.

B

BVLon

I think that this review is OK and rather objective. It is also similar to that one from AVLab.
The review was also accepted by the developer. So, everybody should be happy.:) (y)
Yeah, what the person in question has said is not a secret to anyone. VS has not been designed to be a replacement of a security product. It's been designed to fill the gaps that a normal AV leaves.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.