VoodooShield - wrong version on download website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

softie15

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2017
Hi there, not sure where to report this but I think there is a wrong version reported by VoodooShield website. If you google VoodooShield download, you get 2 top links as following:

(1) Download VoodooShield™

It leads to download page which says it's version 2.22. Subject of the page is "Download VoodooShield™ 2.22 - Free for Non-Commercial Use!"

(2) VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock.

It leads to home page of VoodooShield and if I click on Download link at the top it leads to a section claiming I am downloading version 3.59.

I think both download the same file. Not sure which version though - as I have not installed it yet...

Best

Reactions: shmu26

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
Hi there, not sure where to report this but I think there is a wrong version reported by VoodooShield website. If you google VoodooShield download, you get 2 top links as following:

(1) Download VoodooShield™

It leads to download page which says it's version 2.22. Subject of the page is "Download VoodooShield™ 2.22 - Free for Non-Commercial Use!"

(2) VoodooShield™ - The User-Friendly Toggling Computer Lock.

It leads to home page of VoodooShield and if I click on Download link at the top it leads to a section claiming I am downloading version 3.59.

I think both download the same file. Not sure which version though - as I have not installed it yet...

Best
Wrong place, please post in the appropriate place as @Av Gurus said

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The files probably bear the same name, but if you do a right click and check details, it will show you which version. 3.59 is the one you want, it is the latest stable version and it works quite well for most people.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

softie15

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for confirmation, shmu26: indeed right-click on InstallVoodooShield.exe, under Details tab shows 3.59. My main point then is that the first webpage that says the version is 2.22 is incorrect. It must have gotten hardcoded a while ago and should be fixed to avoid confusion. I used that first link and assumed I was downloading version 2.22 but then found references online to later versions which confused me as to how I missed the right version. I did not realize that while the page says I am downloading version 2.22, it's actually downloading version 3.59.

I am not sure how to contact Dan / dev team to report this. (Did not find "contact us" on the voodooshield.com)

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for confirmation, shmu26: indeed right-click on InstallVoodooShield.exe, under Details tab shows 3.59. My main point then is that the first webpage that says the version is 2.22 is incorrect. It must have gotten hardcoded a while ago and should be fixed to avoid confusion. I used that first link and assumed I was downloading version 2.22 but then found references online to later versions which confused me as to how I missed the right version. I did not realize that while the page says I am downloading version 2.22, it's actually downloading version 3.59.

I am not sure how to contact Dan / dev team to report this. (Did not find "contact us" on the voodooshield.com)
You can and should email him at support@voodooshield.com

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.