HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I just installed Tor and was playing with it. I have a VPN too.

So now I would like to know if I turn on my VPN first and then access Tor browser does that means I'm connecting in the following manner?

Me --> VPN --> Tor

If I open Tor browser first then turn on my VPN then is the connection as below?

Me --> Tor --> VPN

Or do I need special connection to achieve both?

Any advise? Thanks

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
So now I would like to know if I turn on my VPN first and then access Tor browser does that means I'm connecting in the following manner?

First , I strongly recommend that you do nothing more until you read this , and other guides that may be linked .
Advanced Privacy and Anonymity Using VMs, VPN's, Tor - Part 1

I say this because post-Snowden , many countries and ISPs are quietly logging anyone they see using Tor and/or VPN as suspicious people ,
who should be monitored further .
You could easily end up shooting yourself in the foot , simply by making some first steps in using Tor .

Part of the problem is the popular media portrayal of all such people as " Bad ".
News stories about Silk Road ,terrorists , pedophiles etc. often mention Tor as the way these evil people were able to do their mischief.

So to answer your original question .... Yes , there is most definitely a correct sequence to using such tools .
Please do lots of reading before doing any experiments .

Reactions: omidomi and frogboy
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Hi

I just installed Tor and was playing with it. I have a VPN too.

Me --> VPN --> Tor

If I open Tor browser first then turn on my VPN then is the connection as below?

Me --> Tor --> VPN

Or do I need special connection to achieve both?

Any advise? Thanks
I believe it's the first one:

Me --> VPN --> Tor

I have opened & briefly looked at Tor but never used it for browsing. If you have a VPN then it should go through that first & then on to the Tor browser VPN as far as I know...

If you use a VM & run Tor in the VM then you can have a VPN on the Host PC/Machine then a seperate VPN in the VM & then use Tor through two separate VPN services.

Always make sure you know what you are doing though because yes people do track users using Tor browser because it's a ticket to terrorism, malicious activity & god knows what else...

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Or why not just use TAILS?
With TAILS you surf via TOR browser and also have the added feature of MAC-adress Spoofing and (almost) no way for anyone to recover any data on your computer once it´s shut down.

Don´t think VPN+TOR is the best idea.... Read this and consider use "bridge mode" with obfuscated bridges in TAILS instead!

Actually, VPN through Tor is better than Tor through VPN.

I was thinking of that too (using TAILS) a while ago but I have a problem. My microsoft surface pro 4 has only 1 USB port. To set up TAILS you need 2 USB ports with 2 USB sticks together, right? I'm not sure whether can use a USB hub to do the job. Do you know whether booting up through a USB hub is possible for TAILS installation on 2 USB sticks?

Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
First , I strongly recommend that you do nothing more until you read this , and other guides that may be linked .
Advanced Privacy and Anonymity Using VMs, VPN's, Tor - Part 1

I say this because post-Snowden , many countries and ISPs are quietly logging anyone they see using Tor and/or VPN as suspicious people ,
who should be monitored further .
You could easily end up shooting yourself in the foot , simply by making some first steps in using Tor .

Part of the problem is the popular media portrayal of all such people as " Bad ".
News stories about Silk Road ,terrorists , pedophiles etc. often mention Tor as the way these evil people were able to do their mischief.

So to answer your original question .... Yes , there is most definitely a correct sequence to using such tools .
Please do lots of reading before doing any experiments .
Hi

I don't belong to that group of people you mentioned. I just want to try new things and to make myself more anonymous on the net, ok?

Reactions: MalwareBlockerYT

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Actually, VPN through Tor is better than Tor through VPN.

I was thinking of that too (using TAILS) a while ago but I have a problem. My microsoft surface pro 4 has only 1 USB port. To set up TAILS you need 2 USB ports for 2 USB sticks together, right? I'm not sure whether can use a USB hub to do the job. Do you know whether booting up through a USB hub is possible for TAILS installation on 2 USB sticks?

Thanks

Aha! Well then there might be a problem....
But i cannot, as an amateur, see why using a USB hub would not work as long as both USB´s are detected. But i cannot say i´m sure....

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I need somebody's help to interpret the followings using TOR and VPN

First Test

I first started my VPN and its IP address is Hong Kong 103.10.197.3

Then I started Tor and it route through France --> France --> US (IP 65.19.167.131) Is this Tor exit node IP?

I then check its ip using Tor at Ipleak.net and found that it's 46.101.127.141 anonymous proxy hosted by DigitalOcean ISP

Now, if I'm connecting in this manner Me --> VPN --> Tor then am I not suppose to see the IP 65.9.167.131 at Tor exit node?

Second Test

I exited both Tor and VPN

Now I started Tor and its routed through France --> France --> Canada (IP 167.88.35.108). Is this Tor exit node IP?

Then I started up VPN and its IP is Hong Kong 103.10.197.2

Similalry, I check the ip at ipleak.com using Tor and found that the ip I get is 62.102.148.67 hosted by KustbandetAB ISP

If I'm now connecting Me --> Tor --> VPN then am I not supposed to be seeing the Hong Kong IP 103.10.197.2?

Any help? Thanks

I think I'm doing something wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.