Advice Request VPN use

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
can anyone give me advice, is adding a VPN to my router really a good idea ?I am only a home user

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Depends on how secure you want to be, it is entirely subjective. Some security professionals who knows what good security is and can offer also wants something scaled down but equivalent for their home setting. Some gamers who connects to public game servers and downloads untested insecure mods for their games may balk at too much security restrictions, 'ruining' their experience.

A VPN service like NordVPN or ProtonVPN gives you a secure tunnel thru the internet to their servers, and then the traffic leaves their servers towards the intended web destination. It offers some anonymity; because the web sites sees the traffic as originating from those servers and not directly from you. It offers some security in the confidentiality angle, by shielding you from prying eyes, because anyone watching your internet traffic at your local segment won't get to see the contents and where you are going. And it offers some security from the protection angle because unskilled attackers will have difficulty breaking into that tunnel of yours.

Aside from security, it offers you the ability to bypass region restrictions setup by some services, when you connect to a server in that country, thus falling within their allowed zone. But at the same time, some government services will drop your traffic because your traffic originates from somewhere outside your country because their services are only intended for local citizens.

A standard security approach is to start asking questions about what risks you cannot accept, and determine what security counter measures you thus need. That prioritised list determines how much you should budget for in addressing the concerns.

A small tip, ProtonVPN is a Swiss organisation which aims to provide security for all. They have a free plan which only offers servers in US, Netherlands and Japan (server concentrations per continental region) . So if you are in S. America, you can connect to the US servers, if you are in western Europe, you can connect to the Netherlands servers. The connections are fast and ad free. You can support their mission by enrolling in paid plans, which offers more servers in different countries, thus you avoid that problem stated above with local government services. They have operated their secure email service, ProtonMail, for a long time. If your router supports the Openvpn protocol, it should offer simple configuration: you just import a configuration file.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
can anyone give me advice, is adding a VPN to my router really a good idea ?I am only a home user
Adding a VPN to your router can be a good idea for enhancing your online privacy and security, especially if you are concerned about protecting your personal information. It can help encrypt your internet traffic and hide your IP address from potential snoopers. However, there are some factors to consider before doing so:

1. **Speed**: Using a VPN on your router can potentially slow down your internet connection due to the encryption process. Make sure to choose a VPN provider that offers fast speeds.

2. **Compatibility**: Not all routers support VPN configurations, so you'll need to check if your router is compatible with the VPN service you want to use.

3. **Setup**: Configuring a VPN on your router can be more complex than installing it on individual devices. You may need to follow specific instructions provided by your VPN service or seek help from technical support.

4. **Device-specific benefits**: While adding a VPN to your router can protect all devices connected to your network, there may be situations where you only want to use a VPN on specific devices. In such cases, installing the VPN directly on those devices might be more suitable.

Ultimately, the decision to add a VPN to your router depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you prioritize network-wide protection and don't mind potential speed reductions, it could be a good choice for you as a home user.

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I would downplay that 'encryption security' benefit. The traffic is only encrypted between you and the VPN service's server. That traffic has to leave the encrypted tunnel when it exits the VPN serivce's server to go towards the intended web destination. For that last leg of the journey, there is no encryption, and anyone can spy on that traffic.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
If you are concerned about privacy and want to use a VPN, you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You know nothing about your VPN provider. Its a blind trust, which you can not verify so do not blindly trust any company to keep your secrets safe.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
If you are concerned about privacy and want to use a VPN, you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You know nothing about your VPN provider. Its a blind trust, which you can not verify so do not blindly trust any company to keep your secrets safe.
That is why you have to do some research before purchasing a VPN. There are some that provide privacy, if your going to purchase a VPN you have to trust one of them, do some research and find them.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dave Russo and Nevi

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Also, from personal experience, it looks like people and companies are catching up on VPN use. Meaning, they seem to be able to recognize it when you are using a VPN.

Until a short while ago, I was using Cloudflare WARP, and one day I wanted to register a new account on a Forum for a game I play. When I tried to register I got an e-mail, that mentioned my registration was denied because I was using a VPN? And Cloudflare WARP is not even a real VPN, at least not like NordVPN and such. Also, a few other programs were starting to get problems getting updates and such. (Which they were ably to do again once I stopped using Cloudflare WARP.)

So the companies are seemingly catching up, and as such I do think that VPNs will get less useful in the future for an ordinary household.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.