Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
The sample distributed wasn't static; the malc0der(s) distributed new, undetected variants every few hours...
I just mean that on the report I've seen in this period it was this file on the screenshot (TMPA1F5.tmp) for VoodooShield (for some other app & tests, the name has changed, like you say, new variant regularly) :)
The exploit / method used was the same.

And even the famous option "Enable voodooshield anti-exploit protection ..." already existed, but failed (or my memory isn't as good as I think)

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Anti-exploit functionality did not prevent infection...
Yes that is the way I understood (I may be wrong, need to find again the post to verity)

Edited:
1x .tmp file : unkown => "blocked" => 2x .tmp : other files => "blocked" => "abnormal" system process started / found in memory
A lot of work have been done since this time by the dev :)
Never got a ransomeware attack EVER. Haven't really used an adblocker and not really going to start. I shouldn't be worried about ransomware but more inexperienced people should.
You have "never got a ransomware attack", you mean "always stopped" by your security tools, or "never" reached you PC ?
(in the second case, I will just hire you to use the PC of one neighbor :))

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Yes that is the way I understood (I may be wrong, need to find again the post to verity)

Edited:
1x .tmp file : unkown => "blocked" => 2x .tmp : other files => "blocked" => "abnormal" system process started / found in memory

You have "never got a ransomware attack", you mean "always stopped" by your security tools, or "never" reached you PC ?

That's it ! It's all right there in the screen shots... the evidence is indisputable.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015

Basically both pretty confident that if ransomeware attempted to get into my PC ZAL or Avast could take care of it.
@Lucent Warrior Although hackers are getting smarter by the time the "new" malware attempts to hit me my software should take care of it. I backup all my files pretty often and even my most important files aren't very important. Infected = HD Format refresh. :)

H

hjlbx

140054a0hceczf88kbk9ex.png.thumb.jpg
140055na5mqu5eruggxpbx.png.thumb.jpg

Log after log off:
01/25/16 13:44:05 Protection level is set to <medium>.

01/25/16 13:44:09 Prevented process <msvcp60.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {f0d3befc-0e6a-49b1-b6ee- B40707328827}.

01/25/16 13:44:10 Prevented process <scksp.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {0a57af4b-2092-4aab-9e6c- 5f79fd148666}.

01/25/16 13:44:19 Prevented process <cnvfat.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {49b9a045-a749-43de-afba- 0d25ebefe36b}>.

01/25/16 13:44:23 Prevented process <tmp13e2.tmp | c: \ windows \ explorer.exe> from launching from <c: \ users \ AA \ appdata \ local \ temp \ {df907dca-1f42-4b8f- Ab0e-e42a8424f8ae}>.

01/25/16 13:44:38 Prevented process <dhcpcsvc.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {248a4374-c0ba-4e72-bf07- 277a3369ce88}.

01/25/16 13:45:07 Prevented process <clfsw32.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {f41df4e1-6f46-4272-a6b8- 4645c4a95bbb}>.

01/25/16 13:45:44 Prevented process <keymgr.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {55c5c478-3608-4801-b3fc- D3feb3417cab}.

01/25/16 13:46:02 Prevented process <eqossnap.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {735696d8-0d94-43f0-85d9- 02a5f85ff4f9}>.

01/25/16 13:46:41 Prevented process <mpr.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {2fc7cf8f-f0a9-4af8-9c5e- D707f1f7bb7a}.

01/25/16 13:46:59 Prevented process <appmgr.dll | C: \ Windows \ System32 \ regsvr32.exe> from launching from <c: \ programdata \ windows genuine advantage \ {82b0c380-211c-403d-91c8- 368c2318b9e5}>.

L

Lucent Warrior

Edited:

Here is the Video on the test

P.S. is it just me or did we just derail this whole thread with these conversations :p :D

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lucent Warrior

Unfortunately... it doesn't break the the post-TMPXXXX.tmp run-sequence.

The video author cut it short, but the run sequence keeps going just as shown initially.

What you gonna do... the people aren't professional video publishers.
Exactly what i was just thinking. Until i see it done and done correctly and thoroughly, i put no stock into it. VS may have very well intercepted the sequence again had the Author let the test continue.

L

Lucent Warrior

He didn't cut the run sequence short, but instead edited out all the end-visuals in his video.
I will have to look again, but it looked to me as the video was fading the sequence was still trying to run. The main point though was no payload i seen was dropped. Without the samples and the URL for the website exploit it is futile to sit and figure out exactly what would happen.

I still state, until i see someone bypass it, and or hand me the samples they say will bypass it so i can test and show it, then it is time to drop this and move on.

H

hjlbx

I will have to look again, but it looked to me as the video was fading the sequence was still trying to run. The main point though was no payload i seen was dropped. Without the samples and the URL for the website exploit it is futile to sit and figure out exactly what would happen.

I still state, until i see someone bypass it, and or hand me the samples they say will bypass it so i can test and show it, then it is time to drop this and move on.

Having the *.tmp itself is no good; you need the active webpage along with an actual browser exploit.

H

hjlbx

Check it again. Next time get a pencil and paper. Stop the vid after every new process starts and write it down. All those Windows processes popping up after TMPXXX.tmp terminates are a continuation of the run sequence. You're expecting and looking for A > B > C >...> N all within the same parent > child tree, but in this case it doesn't work that way...

XxX Legolas XxX

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 20, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: DardiM and shukla44

DardiM

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
This is only tmp:)You can delete this with cclener.Did this sample run on memory?Voodoo don t have real-time it block sample wen you run.
Test in VM secureaplus.If tmp in tmp it is OK but if it in windows folder it is big infection.For this video what
Lucent fine it is from China.
a .tmp file with exe structure ran from a parent process :), certainly with parameters, localized on an important windows folder.
I didn't find the original file / link that certainly have put this .tmp on folder (..appdata/local/temp...)

Last edited:
L

Lucent Warrior

In fact the link I posted are with tests from January, 25
and in the video April,1
There is now a thread on this in the Voodooshield Subforum, please direct any further statements questions of Voodooshield to it.

@Umbra, i believe the Video Reviews to be your Domain? Can you please clean up this derailed thread?

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.