Not open for further replies.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
You can add Avast as antivirus and Zemana AM free or paid as OD Scanner.
Please use an OS imaging software like Macrium to secure your OS.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

WalterWolf

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I don't like Avast or anything with ads, their UI looks like registry cleaner.

Reactions: Syafiq
T

The paranoid one

CF is a good choice and is enough to protect the computer, but "I do not put all the eggs in one basket", if CF fails, you are totally unprotected, so I think the tip of @tim one is a great tip. Remember that a good antivirus makes CF Sandbox work less

Bitdefender free could be a good choice

Making backups is practical and secure. You can automate them and without any effort to have all your information protected. Aomei, Macrium Reflect and Easeus are, IMO, the best free options

Thanks for sharing :)

WalterWolf

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I always wanted to try those back up stoftwares but I need Ext. HDD for that I guess.

Not sure is there point to back up OS partiton to other partiton.

I tried Kaspersky Free not long ago, I had to remove it cuz it was slowing down loading of 1 game I'm playing.

T

The paranoid one

I always wanted to try those back up stoftwares but I need Ext. HDD for that I guess.

Not sure is there point to back up OS partiton to other partiton.

I tried Kaspersky Free not long ago, I had to remove it cuz it was slowing down loading of 1 game I'm playing.
You can always backup to another partition or at least backup your most sensitive information to a USB

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017

WalterWolf

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
You can always backup to another partition or at least backup your most sensitive information to a USB

My sensitive pics, songs, password and other stuff are on USB already :)

You can add Hard_Configurator. Hard_Configurator is like a AV but much lighter. It applies registry tweaks etc. and doesn't slow down your computer. GitHub - AndyFul/Hard_Configurator: GUI to Manage Software Restriction Policies and harden Windows Home OS
You should test this first before installing a real AV like Avast.

Is there any review of it or more info.

Reactions: Syafiq

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
Any chance of upgrade to Windows10 ?
Comodo Firewall is good but give a try Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a Ondemand scanner.
Add AOMEI Backupper Standard(Free) as a Backup Software.:)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
You could try panda cloud av it is fairly light. If I remember correctly @roger_m once mentioned here that you could shut down the upgrade ads in the program. It really has a clean and simple GUI. If you do not mind paying eset products are really light on system recources. Trend micro 2018 line is also very light!

Last edited:

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Is there any review of it or more info.
You find many infos on the github page:
GUI to Manage Software Restriction Policies (SRP) and harden Windows Home OS (Vista and later versions).

Hard_Configurator makes changes in Windows Registry to accomplish tasks enumerated below:

1. Enabling Software Restriction Policies (as anti-exe) in Windows Home.
  2. Changing SRP Security Levels, Enforcement options, and Designated File Types.
  3. Whitelisting files in SRP by path (also with wildcards) and by hash.
  4. Enabling Windows Defender PUA protection (Windows 8+).
  5. Disabling Untrusted Fonts (Windows 10).
  6. Disabling file execution from removable disks (Windows 7+).
  7. Disabling PowerShell script execution (Windows 7+).
  8. Restricting shortcut execution to some folders only (via SRP).
  9. Disabling Windows Script Host.
  10. Hiding "Run As Administrator" option in Explorer context menu.
  11. Forcing SmartScreen check for files without 'Mark Of The Web' (Windows 8+, Nirsoft NirCmd).
  12. Disabling Remote Assistance, Re
    My sensitive pics, songs, password and other stuff are on USB already :)

mote Shell, and Remote Registry.
  13. Protecting (deny execution) Writable subfolders in "C:\Windows" folder (via SRP).
  14. Disabling execution of 16-bit applications.
  15. Securing Shell Extensions.
  16. Disabling Command Prompt (via SRP).
  17. Disabling access to PowerShell executables (via SRP).
  18. Securing PowerShell by Constrained Language mode (SRP, Windows 7+, PowerShell 5.0+)
  19. Disabling program elevation on Standard User Account.
  20. Filtering Windows Event Log for blocked file execution events (Nirsoft FullEventLogView).
  21. Filtering autoruns from the User Space, and script autoruns from anywhere (Sysinternals Autorunsc).
  22. Enabling&Filtering Advanced SRP logging.
  23. Restoring Windows Defaults.
  24. Making System Restore Point.
  25. Enabling "Run as administrator" for MSI files.
  26. Turning ON/OFF all above restrictions.
  27. Saving chosen restrictions as defaults, and restoring when needed.
  28. Choosing/changing GUI skin.
Most of the above tasks can be made by hand using Windows regedit. Anyway, with Hard_Configurator, it can be done more quickly and safely.

Forcing SmartScreen check can be very useful, because normally the SmartScreen Filter in Windows 8+ allows many vectors of infection listed below:

A) You have got the executable file (BAT, CMD, COM, CPL, DLL, EXE, JSE, MSI, OCX, PIF, SCR and VBE) using:

• the downloader or torrent application (EagleGet, utorrent etc.);
  • container format file (zip, 7z, arj, rar, etc.);
  • CD/DVD/Blue-ray disc;
  • CD/DVD/Blue-ray disc image (iso, bin, etc.);
  • non NTFS USB storage device (FAT32 pendrive, FAT32 usb disk);
  • Memory Card;
so the file does not have the proper Alternate Data Stream attached (Mark Of The Web).

B) You have run the executable file with runas.exe (Microsoft), AdvancedRun (Nirsoft), RunAsSystem.exe (AprelTech.com), etc.

Forcing SmartScreen check, can protect in a smart way file execution with Administrative Rights in the User Space (see point A), and is a complementary to SRP that covers file execution as standard user. If "Run As Administrator" option is hidden from Explorer context menu, while SRP and "Run As Smartscreen" are both activated, then the user can only execute files that are whitelisted or checked by SmartScreen Application on the run.

If SRP is deactivated, then Hard_Configurator options can be changed to force SmartScreen check without invoking Administrative Rights. This change adds "Run By Smartscreen" option to Explorer context menu.

Hard_Configurator is based on Windows built-in security, so there is no need to turn off the program restrictions to install Windows Updates, Universal Applications from Windows Store, and perform system Scheduled Tasks.
It worked for me a long time fine. Now I'm using Linux. On any problems you can contact @Andy Ful . He is the developer and will help you!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Have you considered moving to Windows 10?
AVAST,Avira,Bitdefender all are good free AV options.
Personally I like AVAST Free,if it is good protection I do not worry about the GUI or ads.
Consider some type of system image backup solution.Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper have good free options.
Consider adding an on demand scanner(s).
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If you are a gamer, you probably will not be satisfied with Comodo Firewall + realtime AV combo. If so, I would recommend dropping realtime AV, and learn how to live safely with on-demand AV scanners and online analysis sources. Comodo Firewall will keep you safe with @cruelsister settings (HIPS module turned off).

If you have decided to use the realtime AV, but you cannot find the satisfactory Comodo Firewall + realtime AV setup, then you can drop Comodo Firewall and go for another default deny solution (anti-exe, SRP).
Try again, all light AV mentioned here. They will behave differently without Comodo Firewall.

WalterWolf

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I am gamer, well I'm runing for 1-2 years with no infection, no AV just Win Firewall. I do on demand scan with Malwarebytes or EEK or HitmanPro. I'm not really sure what's good to use. I was thinking to add some protection cuz I started to visit shady sites.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I was thinking to add some protection cuz I started to visit shady sites.
When visiting shady sites, you are vulnerable to site spying, giving the attackers many information about your system, IP address, software, and security. Next, you can be a victim of the dangerous targeted attack. The best you can do, is browsing shady sites from the virtual machine, or strictly sandboxed browser with proxy to fool the potential attackers and isolate the vulnerable browsing activity from the system.

Reactions: WalterWolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.