WannaCry Déjà Vu: Petya Ransomware Outbreak Wreaking Havoc Across the Globe

in the articles that i have read & in the news on tv about this attack i did not really see any mention of a specific os being targeted.

unless i missed it while reading / watching so please enlighten me.

if i am not wrong wannacry jacked up xp & 7 mostly, is it the same this time? or is this new attack crippling 10 too?

UNPATCHED XP through 10 specific builds.

If it is the same attack as the WannaCry one, then:

The system must be actively using SMBv1 and port 445 open. If the system does not meet these requirements, then it is not immenintly at-risk regardless of the OS or if unpatched.

99.99 %, or higher, of home users do not use SMB.

Initial reports are not always accurate - so you have to check days later sometimes after all the details have been sorted out to obtain correct infos on the attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

If the attack used the ETERNALROMANCE exploit of SMBv1, then I am unaware of any patch for it by Microsoft. The patch against the exploit could already have been published and pushed, but I just don't know if that is indeed the case.

Once again, system must be using SMBv1 and port 445. If it isn't, then it is not imminently at-risk.

99.99 %, or higher, of home users do not use SMB.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.