Status
Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Pale Moon is good browser but it's based on a version from around 2013 (might be wrong) but the developer has frequently updated the browser with many security fixes and other things. All I really require is a browser that allows me to do my daily tasks without having to deal with constant annoyances.

Personally I don't care that much for extensions as long as I can block advertisements in the browser (which I can do through Adguard - Desktop) and have a password manager extension to fill all of my passwords. Seeing as Pale Moon doesn't support my password manager I don't really mind copying/pasting the passwords myself.
Any day I give Waterfox a chance, the problem is that my system does not get along well with the Firefox code, at least with Mozilla Firefox that way, it never delivers a good performance..

Reactions: frogboy and Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Any day I give Waterfox a chance, the problem is that my system does not get along well with the Firefox code, at least with Mozilla Firefox that way, it never delivers a good performance..

Main issue(s) I have with Mozilla Firefox :
  1. Pages seem to have forever to load when compared to previous version 56 (instant)
  2. RAM usage is higher than Chrome even though it's advertised to use less than the competitors
  3. Browser becomes sluggish when switching tabs and becomes unresponsive to clicks after a while

Although I think it's getting better with each daily update to Firefox Nightly.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Main issue(s) I have with Mozilla Firefox :
  1. Pages seem to have forever to load when compared to previous version 56 (instant)
  2. RAM usage is higher than Chrome even though it's advertised to use less than the competitors
  3. Browser becomes sluggish when switching tabs and becomes unresponsive to clicks after a while

Although I think it's getting better with each daily update to Firefox Nightly.
Well that's right, it's almost the same here with me, besides the high CPU usage and some problems with high-resolution video

Reactions: Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Well that's right, it's almost the same here with me, besides the high CPU usage and some problems with high-resolution video

Actually I forgot to mention both of those issues as well in that post.

I spent days trying to fix the issue with high-resolution and couldn't find anything that could fix it.

Reactions: Faybert
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Waterfox is 1 of my browsers installed(Edge+Firefox+Opera+Pale Moon & of course my standard browser Google Chrome):)

Reactions: Oxygen and Faybert

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Actually I forgot to mention both of those issues as well in that post.

I spent days trying to fix the issue with high-resolution and couldn't find anything that could fix it.
I think it is this new Firefox engine that still needs to be polished, need to optimize the use of CPU, RAM and etc, but I believe that little by little they go straight to it, Mozilla has already taken a huge step with this new engine, now it's just focus on the small details that are still missing

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Waterfox is 1 of my browsers installed(Edge+Firefox+Opera+Pale Moon & of course my standard browser Google Chrome):)
My main is Opera, the only one that delivers me a great performance, both in terms of resources, when speed

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Also, I can't make a lot of changes for the Firefox UI, e.g., using the classic theme, etc.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
I have Google Chrome as my standard browser,but Pale Moon is very good,I have the following extensions in Pale Moon:Lastpass+Ublock Origin and Https Everywhere and that is it.:love:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
.jpg

Waterfox 56.2.0 Release
A large amount of changes, including many performance improvements and security updates.
What's new in Waterfox 56.2.0?
View changes
  • Mozilla Foundation Security Advisories patched:
    • 2018-11
    • 2018-10
  • General Desktop
    • Remove Google Play Services from Android (will now be able to add to F-Droid!)
    • Stylo is now built, but disabled by default.
    • Rust components are now built with optimisations.
    • Updated various media codecs.
    • Back ported performance improvements for JavaScript (should now stop the high CPU usage!)
    • Tested a new way to keep Waterfox components up to date with the release branch of Firefox (includes security and performance upgrades for the components):
      • Freetype2
      • Skia
    • svg.context-properties.content.enabled is now true by default.
    • Fingerprint option now disguises Waterfox as Firefox 60.
  • Linux
    • Support for ffmpeg-4.0

Download Link. Waterfox 56.2.0 Release

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So have to enable Stylo (CSS engine) manually for faster speed

Also, android version not available on F-Droid or Aptoide yet

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
What's new in Waterfox 56.2.2?
Large amounts of security fixes and bug fixes are in this release and should solve two main issues:

• Certain add-ons not showing their own options page (such as uBlock Origin dashboard).
  • Corrupted Content issue on website that use service workers.
View changes

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
What's new in Waterfox 56.2.2?
Large amounts of security fixes and bug fixes are in this release and should solve two main issues:

• Certain add-ons not showing their own options page (such as uBlock Origin dashboard).
  • Corrupted Content issue on website that use service workers.
View changes

Thanks for this. I forgot to post this update Waterfox. (y)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Comodo flagged waterfox uninstaller as trojan :emoji_innocent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.