Advice Request WD having difficulties with a threat found

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ragnarok

Thread author
Jan 31, 2020
I started a full scan using WD, it discovered a HackTool both inside the disk image (ISO) and the extracted files (Meaning i have two of the same threat, one in the extracted folder and the other still inside the ISO), i chose the action Remove instead of Quarantine, and it took it a very long time to remove the threat and it removed it only from the extracted files but not the ISO, i thought maybe it's because of UAC being set at Max that WD can't access to the ISO, so i changed it to one level down and tried again, but same thing, it can't delete the threat inside the ISO so i thought maybe i can delete the ISO file manually and empty the Recycle Bin but now i can't delete it?

What do you think i can do?
I have a Premium Bitdefender TS 2020 subscription, but i thought about giving WD a shot because it has some features that goes well with Edge browser. (Was it a bad idea to abandon Bitdefender for WD?)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.png
    2.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 206

Ragnarok

Thread author
Jan 31, 2020
Most hacktools are harmless. I think you used one in order to crack a game/program and now WD found it. I would ignore it. Also check that Code of Conduct
Yeah it was a Software + Crack requested by a friend, i gave it to him and all i want now is to delete it.
Update: i did manage to delete the ISO and now it's in the Recycle Bin, will the Hacktool be destoryed by simply emptying the Recycle Bin?

Reactions: oldschool

Ragnarok

Thread author
Jan 31, 2020
Thank you guys!
And about my other question, was it a good idea to replace Bitdefender TS with WD?

Note: It looks like Windows Defender can analyze ISO files and detect Threats within, but cannot have full access to remove them. (Maybe i'm wrong, and it's only in my case)

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Thank you guys!
And about my other question, was it a good idea to replace Bitdefender TS with WD?

Note: It looks like Windows Defender can analyze ISO files and detect Threats within, but cannot have full access to remove them. (Maybe i'm wrong, and it's only in my case)
I would stay with Bitdefender tbh

Ragnarok

Thread author
Jan 31, 2020
I would like too but i want to try WD for a while, and i'm considering to try that Hardening tool but idk what major benefits i'll get from it?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't think it is possible for any AV to delete files in an ISO. An ISO as such is not modifiable, (you need special tools to modify it, and they do it by extracting the files) and it is not dangerous to your system, either. The danger starts to become relevant when you mount (extract) the ISO, at which point your AV should be able to deal with detected threats.

As for WD versus Bitdefender, that's up to your personal taste. There are strong opinions for and against both of them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.