"We need to fix your Microsoft account" spam notifications!

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
OK, some of you must have encountered the spammy "We need to fix your M$ account" notification. I've tried every fix I could find and I'm not sure if it's fixed yet. I encountered one on first boot this morning. Any additional ideas?

Fixes I've tried:
  • Settings>System>"Shared experiences">OFF (if you don't need this)
  • Settings>System>Notifications>Turn off unneeded notifications
  • Windows Security Center>Virus and threat protection>Manage settings>Change notification settings>Account protection notificatons>OFF
The last is a fairly new setting which I only just discovered. It may be the culprit behind the "We need to fix ..." spam attacks.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
OK, some of you must have encountered the spammy "We need to fix your M$ account" notification. I've tried every fix I could find and I'm not sure if it's fixed yet. I encountered one on first boot this morning. Any ideas?
I thought this was about scam calls from boiler rooms. :ROFLMAO:
I got this message the other day. I restarted and never saw it again. I think servers are seeing less maintenance with the work from home orders.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@blackice @fabiobr @ChoiceVoice The reason this alert occurs is because M$ wants you to use a M$ account to log into your machine. I closed my M$ account some time ago and use a password to log into my admin and local account. I still get this notification.
oh, now that you mention it I think it was when I logged in as a local admin without an M$ account.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Do you have any cleaning Software like CCleaner that may be deleting your login tokens?
Nope.

This may have fixed it: Windows Security Center>Virus and threat protection>Manage settings>Change notification settings>Account protection notificatons>OFF

Now I'm waiting to see if I get any more of them.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Create a new Local account without any ties to Microsoft. You may lose your Windows 10 Digital Entitlement license.
You won't lose your digital license. I use a digital license on all computers and only use local accounts.

Edit. I forgot that you can link your digital license to a MS account. The following link explains how you can keep your activation, by creating a MS account (which you don't need to use) in addition to the local one.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.