oldschool

Level 52
Verified
OK, some of you must have encountered the spammy "We need to fix your M$ account" notification. I've tried every fix I could find and I'm not sure if it's fixed yet. I encountered one on first boot this morning. Any additional ideas?

Fixes I've tried:
  • Settings>System>"Shared experiences">OFF (if you don't need this)
  • Settings>System>Notifications>Turn off unneeded notifications
  • Windows Security Center>Virus and threat protection>Manage settings>Change notification settings>Account protection notificatons>OFF
The last is a fairly new setting which I only just discovered. It may be the culprit behind the "We need to fix ..." spam attacks.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 25
Verified
OK, some of you must have encountered the spammy "We need to fix your M$ account" notification. I've tried every fix I could find and I'm not sure if it's fixed yet. I encountered one on first boot this morning. Any ideas?
I thought this was about scam calls from boiler rooms. :ROFLMAO:
I got this message the other day. I restarted and never saw it again. I think servers are seeing less maintenance with the work from home orders.

roger_m

Level 29
Verified
Content Creator
Create a new Local account without any ties to Microsoft. You may lose your Windows 10 Digital Entitlement license.
You won't lose your digital license. I use a digital license on all computers and only use local accounts.

Edit. I forgot that you can link your digital license to a MS account. The following link explains how you can keep your activation, by creating a MS account (which you don't need to use) in addition to the local one.

Last edited: