Advice Request Web-Antivirus what does Extreme level actually do?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
I am just curious as to how the Extreme level of protection kind of differs from the Optimal mode --> does it just switch the Heuristic analysis from Medium to Deep? As Kaspersky says it slows down the computer, you really need to have a specific and good reason for using it, correct?

• HaHa
Reactions: SpiderWeb

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
More false positives is my guess, more user interaction required. Some people want everything to be automated and never see their AV.

Reactions: dabluez98

ExecutiveOrder

Level 2
Sep 21, 2021
Set heuristic to deeper configuration might lead to:
(Pros) Higher web threats detection rate.
(Cons) More delays before the entire (or certain part of) website starts to load; more resource usage; higher false-positives rate.

Generally, it will cause a considerable usability or availability trade-off for just a slight protection rate improvement. For most users, it's not recommended to set it to "Deep", leave it to default/recommended value.
Specific reasons to use it maybe come from organizational needs (they're high-value targets), IT department decides that they need an additional protection rate due to certain conditions like increased web and phishing attacks rate (even if all of them are currently blocked or mitigated) to increase the whole organization's security assurance while still retaining optimal availability.

L

Local Host

I use Maximum Protection on family PCs, it does not slow down the PC nor cause false positives (then again they not running Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM).

One of them being my younger brother that plays games often, he actually has higher FPS with Kaspersky on Maximum Protection than with Windows Defender on Default Settings (which is not surprising to me).

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Do you mean for Web Anti-Virus that you have set the Security level to "Extreme", or just to be sure, do you mean to all components?

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.