Web of Trust is back!

WOT is back! - Are you going to use WOT again?

• Yes

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Will wait

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
I used to install WOT on all my friends and ppl's web browser after doing all the formatting and installing Windows. WOT and adblock plus. Now all that confidence and yep, trust is gone for sure, but still I would use WOT for myself.
I used to do the same, too. Web of Trust, Disconnect and Adblock Plus. For what it was worth, it was a good add-on and a good community.
I use Avira Browser Safety. When searching on the net for something it tells what sites are safe like WOT. I'm using stable Chrome.
Going to try that, thanks for mentioning it. Have heard things about it - what would you say about it? Better than BitDefender TrafficLight and McAfee SIteAdvisor? Is it a real-time thing?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Web of Trust. ..kind of sounds like a bank, doesn't it?o_O
I have felt disappointed with banks, the accessible ones of my home country here in the US, but also others from around the world.:mad: Even when WOT wasn't among my favorite extensions, I'd kept open thoughts because people I respect recommended it. Now that they no longer do,:oops: I feel the world has grown:eek: a bit dimmer for good reason.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Here is the official announcement: - We’re back! – Web of Trust Blog -
Hey cool, let me translate the important parts into English:
It was brought to our attention that our data anonymization techniques were not sufficient. In response, we immediately took our extension off several add-on galleries
We noticed when our revenue went south after we got kicked off every add-on gallery this side of Jupiter
We are excited to introduce some exciting new features
We are scared shitless and hope we won't have to resort to honest work in the end
After a lot of internal searching and hard self-review, we’ve come to the realization that we need to make some changes to WOT as a product for it to remain essential over the next 10 years.
We really took great care to cover it up properly this time around and hope it'll take you another 10 years to find out
We’re looking forward to making the web a safer place with you.
Not.
Sincerely yours,

WOT Team
Yes; sincerely up yours, too, dear WOT Team! :p

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Now the real question is that, is WOT that untrustworthy for the service it provides to stop ourselves from venturing into various other more untrustworthy/scam/malware/rogue and dangerous websites.

If only someone created something equal and unique to what WOT provides? I hope there's still a ray of hope that someone will.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
The main issue is how these rating addons work. For example, avast! has one and I really like it. But they don't allow storing of ratings under your account, so you don't have a clue what pages you've already rated. They also have no user comments which are helpful for online shops. Just the green or red rating tells me absolutely nothing unless it's explained.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
We noticed when our revenue went south after we got kicked off every add-on gallery this side of Jupiter
We are scared shitless and hope we won't have to resort to honest work in the end
We really took great care to cover it up properly this time around and hope it'll take you another 10 years to find out

Not.

This gave me the biggest laugh I've had all day!!!:D:D:D

Thanks Fritz!!:cool:;)
My cheeks :confused:ache from smiling so much...:rolleyes:

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Not.

Very Nice Summary!!!! I would like to add, We know some of you know, so please don't tell about the ones who doesn't know that we hate resorting to honest work. Lets sweep this under the carpet and join us again, we promise to sell your privacy in secret now.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I used this for a very short period of time as a stand alone addon. If you rate a web page while logged in, you are essentially telling people "I've been on this site", so naturally I saw it as a breach of privacy.

Apart from that, I've been using Adguard since v6 release (which fixed the problems I had with it) and left WOT enabled since to a certain extent, it was helpful. Ever since WOT was exposed, I deleted WOT from Adguard and never looked back. With WOT gone I have not noticed any decrease in protection given by blocking malicious pages or popups - Adguard filters alone tend to be better than many AV web blockers.

In short, one you abuse my trust, you will not get it back again. While the Adguard WOT extension is different, I think Adguard should drop it entirely.

If you made a game and the game crashed when doing this or that, that is fine, it's just a game. If you make security software and don't take it seriously enough or you are in it for yourself rather than to protect your users, you could end up seriously hurting people. For that reason, I have no difficulty turning my back on WOT. Mistakes happen but WOT knew what it was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.