Web of Trust is back!

WOT is back! - Are you going to use WOT again?

• Yes

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Will wait

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
I didn't used it in the past & not now.

But I use WOT implemented in Adguard Desktop.

Then you're safe and no data is collected.

But I can't say for how long we will maintain our relations with them and continue paying for their data. We have already made WOT extension disabled by default, and I don't see a lot of complaints yet.

Frankly, I am disappointed by the way they handle this situation.

Basically, here's what they told users: you either use our add-on and share whatever data we want with us, or you disable all the add-on functionality effectively converting it into a bookmark. The heck, what's wrong with them? Why taking extension down, they were providing this kind of opt-out from the start: "don't want to share data, remove the add-on". That's ridiculous.

WOT provides unique functionality, really, there is no alternative. If they want to earn from every WOT user that badly, ok, leave this ridiculous thing, but provide me with a paid version. I don't mind paying for it.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Then you're safe and no data is collected.

But I can't say for how long we will maintain our relations with them and continue paying for their data. We have already made WOT extension disabled by default, and I don't see a lot of complaints yet.

Frankly, I am disappointed by the way they handle this situation.

Basically, here's what they told users: you either use our add-on and share whatever data we want with us, or you disable all the add-on functionality effectively converting it into a bookmark. The heck, what's wrong with them? Why taking extension down, they were providing this kind of opt-out from the start: "don't want to share data, remove the add-on". That's ridiculous.

WOT provides unique functionality, really, there is no alternative. If they want to earn from every WOT user that badly, ok, leave this ridiculous thing, but provide me with a paid version. I don't mind paying for it.
As A long time AdGuard paid user I can tell you WOT does not bring enough to the table to be "needed" by AdGuard.
Remaining a partner with them sends the wrong message to AdGuard's user base .
I think why a stink has not been raised yet is that most users are not up to par on the story and what WOT did,
give it some time.
AdGuard has a stellar reputation, WOT had not one ounce of care for that or the effects their behavior would have on their associates by proxy. AdGuard should drop them like a hot potato. jmho.

D

Deleted member 2913

I will use WOT in Adguard as I trust you guys & I also find it good for average users...Its kinda good in blocking those shady websites like video downloader/converter, system repair, java/flash update, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

whizkidraj

Level 8
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
@Wave Btw, I've read some of your comments on the threads, here and there on this forums, and really, all quality knowledge posts, mate :) Like when I read your comments, I feel like yep, this guy exactly knows what he is saying. The experience... and always a form of treat to read your comments. Like my father is cuddling me and explaining me something very clearly.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
I hear you, mate. Let's bring them down :p
Bringing them down sounds fun, but it's unreasonable. It's a great add-on, and quite a few of us know (and reluctantly accept) that companies and software that we use, harvest our software and use/sell it. If they had straight out, like Ghostery for instance, explained that they would be using some of the data or whatever, to support themselves - fine! But as things went, "Web of Trust" turned out to be a misnomer.

It's going to take them many years before they recover from this - if at all, and I for one, am glad they were brought down this badly. It sends out the right message to other developers.

W

Wave

I used to install WOT on all my friends and ppl's web browser after doing all the formatting and installing Windows. WOT and adblock plus.
Exactly! You trusted them, and your friends/clients trusted you, so after everyone found out the news, where did that leave you/how did you feel about how you had been recommending it/installing it for people? I'll tell you how it made you feel: it made you feel embarrassed and disappointed!

You trusted them and your trust was revoked after they did you dirty; did their customers dirty. Even if they were collecting information (e.g. browsing history), it's bad enough, but it wasn't securely collected/stored and that is the main issue IMO. They knew that they were going about the situation wrong, and I believe it was pointed out previously many times and that they ignored the concerns/suggestions (it doesn't show a willing to have the users interest first, but it shows laziness).

Sure, WOT might be a pretty good extension, but it's worthless if you cannot trust the publishers... You should never use something you do not trust, and it will take a very long time for them to recover their image after what happened. Eventually they will recover, companies always do (e.g. Comodo recovered from PrivDog after the news died down).

Hopefully they won't make the same mistake twice, only time will tell. Personally though, I will not risk it and use their extension again, nor recommend it to anyone... It's not really needed anyway IMO.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
They've lost my trust. Besides, I've deleted my account anyway. It's going to take a long time before they earn my trust back, if ever. It was an excellent service until they cocked it up entirely by doing shady stuff and not being transparent afterwards (and before that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.