Battle Webroot or Immunet + Voodooshield ?

Compare list
Webroot AV
Panda IS
Immunet

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
Hello Community.

I'm using this combo: Voodooshield free + Webroot AV + NVT Syshardener.
My priority is absolute lightness...but I'm not sure if Webroot is the best wingman for voodooshield.
So, i would change webroot for:

Panda or Immunet.

What do you think is the better complement for my combo with voodooshield? Or should i stay with webroot?
Pls just help me with your experience with panda or immunet...pls do not recommend anything else !!
I dont wanna use bitdefender,kaspersky and all the other av's for my combo ;)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
...but I'm not sure if Webroot is the best wingman...

I'm not sure it's the best wingman for anything.

It doesn't protect, and the longtime WRData issue is still unresolved from around 2012.

The Webrot sucktitude is sometimes bewildering...

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I haven't used any of these but from what I read here on the forum and elsewhere, this is my take: Webroot is appears light but also loads tons of data on the system (if I recall correctly) and is dying a slow painful death, and there is uncertainty after its recent sale. Immunet is ultralight and has the cloud but is very weak.

I would go with Panda - it has a decent looking GUI but you'll get hit with ads. You'll definitely want SH covering the panda bear's up weaknesses. Because I use VS and don't feel the need for the "best" AV I would choose Panda from your list. (y) @stefanos @roger_m and @imuade @Evjl's Rain and some others have experience with, and have favorable impressions of, Panda. Maybe they'll chime in.

Stay safe, not paranoid.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
i have a win10 system protected by
webroot, voodoo shield v.5 and hitmanPro.Alert. very light and quiet.
I have used Immunet before, my feeling is that it is called itself a cloud-based Av, but relatively weak and nearly useless, except the offline scanner may reflect its duties as an AV.

Reactions: amico81

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I would go with Panda - it has a decent looking GUI but you'll get hit with ads. You'll definitely want SH covering the panda bear's up weaknesses.
It's easy to disable the ads, by disabling Panda news and Show relevant security news, in settings. It is extremely light, even on low end computers. But as you said, it would be best to add SysHardener or something similar for better protection, unless you take some care regarding what files you open.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
webroot: weak signatures, very good web filter, high disk usage (capacity), weak behavior protection, rollback feature takes time -> put users into risk during that time, is the only one not free
I don't have experience with webroot. These are only my collective thoughts

immunet: best signatures in these 3, fastest, cloud network can be unstable (0 cloud user bug), not so good BB, very high FPs, turbo light on everything, without internet, it's super weak, almost useless, lightning fast scanning speed

panda: weak signatures on new malwares, might be good against 1-week old malwares, no autoupdate for free version, manual update/uninstallation usually causes menory leakage and BSOD, BB has improved but still weak, very light but can be heavy when executing a big scripts (cmd for example, it consumes upto 50% CPU), can work offline better than immunet due to offline database (less effective than online), slow scanning speed, useless webfilter (only effective against old phishing links, completely useless against exe

so in this case if you want to pair with VS, I suggest the one with the best signatures available, don't worry about BB because VS will handle it => immunet
if you find it's not stable enough, try panda

p/s: tweak immunet to make it lighter, disable clamAV

i have a Windows 10 system protected by
webroot, voodoo shield v.5 and hitmanPro.Alert. very light and quiet.
I have used Immunet before, my feeling is that it is called itself a cloud-based Av, but relatively weak and nearly useless, except the offline scanner may reflect its duties as an AV.
I think you have used it during the period it has 0-cloud user bug which made it useless
I have tested immunet for several months before it happened and also put it into hub test. It performed well, better than many well-known AVs, to be honest (signatures)

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
webroot: weak signatures, very good web filter, high disk usage (capacity), weak behavior protection, rollback feature takes time -> put users into risk during that time, is the only one not free
I don't have experience with webroot. These are only my collective thoughts

immunet: best signatures in these 3, fastest, cloud network can be unstable (0 cloud user bug), not so good BB, very high FPs, turbo light on everything, without internet, it's super weak, almost useless, lightning fast scanning speed

panda: weak signatures on new malwares, might be good against 1-week old malwares, no autoupdate for free version, manual update/uninstallation usually causes menory leakage and BSOD, BB has improved but still weak, very light but can be heavy when executing a big scripts (cmd for example, it consumes upto 50% CPU), can work offline better than immunet due to offline database (less effective than online), slow scanning speed, useless webfilter (only effective against old phishing links, completely useless against exe

so in this case if you want to pair with VS, I suggest the one with the best signatures available, don't worry about BB because VS will handle it => immunet
if you find it's not stable enough, try panda

p/s: tweak immunet to make it lighter, disable clamAV

Your evaluation is so well-reasoned I may have to try Immunet. How's the webfilter?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Agree with Evjl's Rain for immunet. Panda free + run by smart screen Is tested for a month to the laptop of my daughter. After a week it is very light on system. One month run without any issue and without ads. The free version have autoupdate and manual update. The scanning speed is fast and Panda have not webfilter 2019. I use Bitdefender traficlight. If you are a careful user combo only with run by smart screen you are pretty safe.

it doesn't have webfilter
it's just a cloud AV + offline clamAV engine (can be disabled) + newly developed behavior blocker (I haven't tested this BB yet)
I tested is very weak

I haven't used any of these but from what I read here on the forum and elsewhere, this is my take: Webroot is appears light but also loads tons of data on the system (if I recall correctly) and is dying a slow painful death, and there is uncertainty after its recent sale. Immunet is ultralight and has the cloud but is very weak.

I would go with Panda - it has a decent looking GUI but you'll get hit with ads. You'll definitely want SH covering the panda bear's up weaknesses. Because I use VS and don't feel the need for the "best" AV I would choose Panda from your list. (y) @stefanos @roger_m and @imuade @Evjl's Rain and some others have experience with, and have favorable impressions of, Panda. Maybe they'll chime in.

Stay safe, not paranoid.
Panda free give you option to stop the ads

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018

Stay safe, not paranoid.
I agree with @oldschool , if you use VS you don't really need a traditional AV.
Immunet could be a good choice because it's light and because its cloud AVs are not included in VirusTotal (where VS goes to check hashes).

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Hello Community.

I'm using this combo: Voodooshield free + Webroot AV + NVT Syshardener.
My priority is absolute lightness...but I'm not sure if Webroot is the best wingman for voodooshield.
So, i would change webroot for:

Panda or Immunet.

What do you think is the better complement for my combo with voodooshield? Or should i stay with webroot?
Pls just help me with your experience with panda or immunet...pls do not recommend anything else !!
I dont wanna use bitdefender,kaspersky and all the other av's for my combo ;)
I would suggest 360TS essential if you use VS. It has very good virus signatures and is very light on system. At 360TS essential you can block with firewall the ads

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.