Webroot reviews

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
What is happening? I just installed the trial version of the Webroot SecureAnywhere suite and my PC loads a lot slower than before. I ran the System Optimizer and System Analyzer tools that come with the Webroot suite and it says that everything is fine, other than the fact that I should have more than 30% free space on my C drive. It did a scan and couldn't find any threats.

Should I uninstall it?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
What is happening? I just installed the trial version of the Webroot SecureAnywhere suite and my PC loads a lot slower than before. I ran the System Optimizer and System Analyzer tools that come with the Webroot suite and it says that everything is fine, other than the fact that I should have more than 30% free space on my C drive. It did a scan and couldn't find any threats.

Should I uninstall it?
Is there any software that could possibly be conflicting with Webroot? Do you have any other security software?

If you still require more help. Asking directly on the Webroot forum could be beneficial.

Reactions: oldschool

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
few friends of mine have this Antivirus, not Suite, installed with my assistance. As per their feedbacks, it IS indeed one of the very few antivirus apps available at the current marketplace do not drag down system resources. Your problem might be attributed to the bloated Suite version.
My suggestion is to try Antivirus version. Good luck.

Reactions: oldschool

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019

Should I uninstall it?
Files Webroot is unsure of, Webroot logs what they do, what they modify and tons of other stuff. This means it can "roll back" damage, and if you were infected, this would be your only hope with Webroot lol. Back on the topic, all of this junk is written to ProgramData/WRData and it can be anywhere from 50MB to 50GB - really. Constant reading and writing to that folder, no wonder things slow down.

Webroot love to advertise their 5MB app and cloud signatures, that's great, but filling people's main drive (because you can't change where this folder is) which could be a small SSD with potentially more than 50GB of junk... Lunacy.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
@bjm_ what's the point you're trying to make? If you're referring to the solution in the second link you posted, if you submit a ticket they will ask you to re-install and delete the folder for the same thing to happen (personally experienced this) and if they whitelisted the files, the same thing would happen again over time. It's not a solution.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
@bjm_ what's the point you're trying to make? If you're referring to the solution in the second link you posted, if you submit a ticket they will ask you to re-install and delete the folder for the same thing to happen (personally experienced this) and if they whitelisted the files, the same thing would happen again over time. It's not a solution.
My point is to agree with you re "WRData size" by posting recent related Webroot thread #8 and old related Webroot thread #10.
It's not a solution.
Yes, I'm aware by following Webroot Community that "WRData size" is not solved for all, all the time.
Regards w Respect

Last edited:

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Greetings!

3 months ago I installed WR, Expired - Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus for Gamers
Then removed. A month later I found a process from WR, I couldn't remove it as my laptop is given me by my employer and has lots of limitations. I couldn't enter safe mode, have to use only the admin account etc. Then I blocked this process and its folder with Comodo's hips and autocontainment.

So far was so good. Today I almost couldn't use the PC as it just got stuck. To my surprise it was the activity of this WR remnant. It hogged all free CPU capacity. Finally I managed to download the installer from that thread with link in the beginning of my post. After installation, WR informed that as lic is expired, I can uninstall it, I pressed that choice. Windows uninstaller appeared, but WR was not there! Then I switched off all guards of WR. And even could remove its folder in the Program files. Then closed 4 processes in RAM. It seems that my PC must be free from WR. Though next reboot will show it.

Keeping my finger crossed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.