Webroot Secure Anywhere Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
the public beta phase is started today (surely after Languy affair,) ^^

Wilders Thread: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=305134

sign up page: http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/betaRegistration.php?lang=en

edit: finally they changed their policy and ask Languy to reupload the video, good move from Webroot

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Uploaded by languy99 on Aug 10, 2011

Last edited:

D Bone

May 28, 2011
I'm running it on my test XP x32 SP3 machine and my main W7 x64 Home Premium SP1 machine and it is amazingly invisible on both machines. 568KB install, and it runs 2 processes totaling 2,000k of RAM. Programs snap open like there is no AV installed. Just amazing in terms of performance.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Extremely light indeed. I installed it on a single-core netbook, disabled Avast Internet Security, and now run WRSA and Outpost Security Suite [only Firewall / Proactive Protection installed]. It is phenomenally snappy, although I thought Avast is OK for this configuration, I realized the sort of performance hit it was causing. Still not quite sure about the level of protection, being a beta, but I'm using SandboxIE, should be fine, I suppose.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Amazing feat. No less than 5 shields and the firewall extender and all of this running at 200K to 1.4 MB!

It did "fix" the first "threat" yesterday - conduitinstaller.exe from Ashampoo Snap 4, a bit too sensitive, I guess.

The firewall extender is a bit too basic - there's no indication what the application attempting internet access is [trusted, untrusted, unknown]. There's also no prompts for "changed" executables, but hopefully these features will be implemented at some point.

I was a bit reluctant to use the System Cleaner - had a bad experience with Webroot product before, but it's extremely fast and does seem to be cleaning thoroughly.

All up, an amazing effort from Webroot. The only slight issue I have is with the unreadable silver font color and the abundance of white, not to mention the lime splashes. To me, this is a real drawback after PrevX SafeOnline's polished interface.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
have the WRdata folder issue reported on Wilders, this folder growing by itself too fastly. it attained 1gb size on my system.

WRSA failed the Eicar virus test zip (http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html) where CIS detect it before the download start and EAM when the file is unzipped, bad point. for WRSA...

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
WRSA failed the Eicar virus test zip (http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html) where CIS detect it before the download start and EAM when the file is unzipped, bad point. for WRSA...
The EICAR test is a file which every basic antivirus should detect...strange...I'll install WRSA and give it a try. :p

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Jack said:
The EICAR test is a file which every basic antivirus should detect...strange...I'll install WRSA and give it a try. :p

yes i found it strange too, i even ask if it was whitelisted. no answer...

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Ok, I've installed Webroot Secure Anywhere Public Beta on my system and :

As umbrapolaris WRSA won't detect the eicar test...which is very strange..the only way it will detect it is if the users run a scan....
Gpqq5.png

I've tried to throw 7 links at WRSA :
5/7 samples were detected after the right click scan. I didn't see the webguard at work or wasn't impressed on how WRSA protected me from the 5 malware samples because malicious file were detected only after I've run them or at an on-demand scan..At no point WRSA tried to stop me when I was downloading them or opening the folder in which the files where..It seems that the WRSA shields need a lot of work..
Does the WebGuard work for Chrome because I didn't manage to see it action? ;)
Two (1 , 2 )malware samples were missed and manage to install just fine.

As plus I must say I like the 'Control Active Process' even if it's not something new for security suites is a good addition.The product seems to be light and installed fairly quickly.

Screenshots:

User Interface :

H6nCM.png

AKPda.png

S6E9Z.png

H6nCM.png

Settings :

nxCLj.png

iOggI.png

bivGq.png

H1t2p.png

AKPda.png

Advance tools

Sandbox
uvWPt.png

Active Process
47vpS.png

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
they really need to improve the real time shield

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are so many settings, it's somewhat confusing.

Just to confirm, this is Webroot software using Prevx technology?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
yes it is in fact Prevx4 with more features, but they seems trying to improve the engine, it is a cloud apps but of course the community is not fully developped yet that may caused the average detection.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
Hey all me again,

First off all I did some beta testing before for Webroot Cloud but that was a while ago and I quit because of conflicts with Panda Cloud which I also was testing at the time. I planned on install Webroot cloud again soon this week because I need to test and see if the conflict is gone.

First off all the Webroot Security Anywhere WebShield is not active yet, and I have a huge feeling it will be based upon BrightCloud when it becomes activated because Webroot bought BrightCloud around the same time it bought Prevx.

For those saying its only detected when executed and not on-demand because Prevx/WRSA does a lot of analysis in real time when it searchs for malware, in fact it detects a lot more on execution then on demand from what I have heard.

It's on-execution only also as far as last time I checked and does not scan everything when you open a folder of malware because if its not executing its not infecting. That and it also allows Prevx/WRSA to work better with other security software and not cause conflicts when they are being ran with each other.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
thanks for the feedback

seems a rebranded version of Lastpass will be included in WRSA as a password manager, good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.