Level 61
Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From the year 2016 to today, AdGuard DNS has come a long way from one-server standalone service to a full-fledged product with more than 50 servers in 15+ locations. Some time ago we've announced plans for a private AdGuard DNS, and now we are finally ready to move to the next level and start the stage of public testing of the private AdGuard DNS beta version!

To take part in beta testing go to AdGuard DNS website and press Join beta at the top right corner of the screen, then sign up or sign into AdGuard account. There's no need to create a new account if you have already created one before, for example, to use AdGuard Ad Blocker or AdGuard VPN.

After entering credentials, you can start using AdGuard DNS! Connect any computer, smartphone, or router to AdGuard DNS in just a few clicks — and flexibly manage the settings for each of them.
We just took a quick look at the main advantages of private AdGuard DNS. To experience the full potential of the service, start using the beta version for free right now. Afterward, there will be four pricing plans: Free, Monthly, Yearly, and Enterprise. Free plan users will have the following restrictions: up to 200,000 requests and up to 3 devices and servers.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 61
Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Free plan users will have the following restrictions: up to 200,000 requests

@Gandalf_The_Grey 200.000 per month or per year or in total?
I don't know, there is no more information at the moment.
Hope it's per month to be comparable with NextDNS free with 300.000 per month for an unlimited number of devices.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

This is far worse than what NextDNS free provides. NextDNS free gives you 300,000 queries per month for unlimited devices.
When @Gandalf_The_Grey assumptions is correct 200.000 per month, than AdGuard DNS would be sufficient for 3 devices (average PC uses 30 to 60 Thousand DNS queries per month).

Next DNS with 300.000 queries per month would be sufficient for a house hold (mum dad with 2.4 kids each with a mobile, PC and a few smart devices).

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 42
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
AdGuard DNS would be sufficient for 3 devices (as a user on average uses 30 to 60 queries per month).
30 to 60? Are you sure? Looks like a typo.
On my household on a busy day, I mean during weekends when everybody is home, the daily quarries often reach 10K and more.
But overall 300,000 is more than enough and even 200,000 would do the job for my family excluding me.
I think the device limitation of Adguard DNS won't be a problem if the DNS is set on the router. It seems Adguard considers that as 1 device. Easier to set up if the router supports DoH/DoT. Otherwise, a dynamic DNS service might be required for plain DNS to link up IP automatically for shared IP users. Similar to NextDNS.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

30 to 60? Are you sure? Looks like a typo.
On my household on a busy day, I mean during weekends when everybody is home, the daily quarries often reach 10K and more.
But overall 300,000 is more than enough and even 200,000 would do the job for my family excluding me.
I think the device limitation of Adguard DNS won't be a problem if the DNS is set on the router. It seems Adguard considers that as 1 device. Easier to set up if the router supports DoH/DoT. Otherwise, a dynamic DNS service might be required for plain DNS to link up IP automatically for shared IP users. Similar to NextDNS.
You are right it is a typo :) I forgot "Thousand", so it is 30 - 60 Thousand (or 30.000 to 60.000). AG limits it to 3 devices, meaning they kept an additional +11,11% margin (3 x 60.000 = 180.000 with 20.000 margin).

In the past I always bought a new router after 6 to 7 years and kept my old router for guest network and later for smart TV and IOT devices. Just set your old router up using 2.4 GHZ with an upper IP-range pool of say 50 and use youur new router for the bottom range from (2 to 200). You could set AG DNS in the old router and connect your smart/android TV box with it (AG offers add blocking and custom rules) and use your new router on the 5GHz network with Next DNS in the router focussed on malware blocking. Only downside is the additional electricity costs of your old router, but you would enjoy advanced DNS services for free :) and partition your home network (potentially unsafe devices in their own WIFI network).

Last edited by a moderator:

brambedkar59

Level 24
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
In the current state, the ping value is above 290ms.Being from India I am getting server from UK, hence the lag is too much and unbearable. Hope things will get better with the introduction of more servers.
For me it connects to Singapore server which is like ~80ms ping. Not as good as NextDNS which has servers right here in Delhi. It seems like an ISP routing issue to me.

Moonhorse

Level 32
Verified
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
NextDNS is better, living in finland nearest server is @ sweden with adguard , nextdns is also faster than cloudflare warp

Reactions: JoyousBudweiser

brambedkar59

Level 24
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The AdGuard DNS servers now support EDNS Client Subnet (ECS), also has an open API and now you can add OISD blocklist Full (it was only Basic before)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 61
Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Private AdGuard DNS beta 4: dark theme, new localizations, and free Personal plan
We could start with some abstract introduction, but today's release is so exciting that we'll get right to the point. Meet the new version of the private AdGuard DNS! It has a dark theme and a language selection option, various improvements and bug fixes. Good news for AdGuard VPN users with a subscription: from now on they will get free access to the Personal plan of the private AdGuard DNS!