Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From the year 2016 to today, AdGuard DNS has come a long way from one-server standalone service to a full-fledged product with more than 50 servers in 15+ locations. Some time ago we've announced plans for a private AdGuard DNS, and now we are finally ready to move to the next level and start the stage of public testing of the private AdGuard DNS beta version!

To take part in beta testing go to AdGuard DNS website and press Join beta at the top right corner of the screen, then sign up or sign into AdGuard account. There's no need to create a new account if you have already created one before, for example, to use AdGuard Ad Blocker or AdGuard VPN.

After entering credentials, you can start using AdGuard DNS! Connect any computer, smartphone, or router to AdGuard DNS in just a few clicks — and flexibly manage the settings for each of them.
We just took a quick look at the main advantages of private AdGuard DNS. To experience the full potential of the service, start using the beta version for free right now. Afterward, there will be four pricing plans: Free, Monthly, Yearly, and Enterprise. Free plan users will have the following restrictions: up to 200,000 requests and up to 3 devices and servers.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Free plan users will have the following restrictions: up to 200,000 requests

@Gandalf_The_Grey 200.000 per month or per year or in total?
I don't know, there is no more information at the moment.
Hope it's per month to be comparable with NextDNS free with 300.000 per month for an unlimited number of devices.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

This is far worse than what NextDNS free provides. NextDNS free gives you 300,000 queries per month for unlimited devices.
When @Gandalf_The_Grey assumptions is correct 200.000 per month, than AdGuard DNS would be sufficient for 3 devices (average PC uses 30 to 60 Thousand DNS queries per month).

Next DNS with 300.000 queries per month would be sufficient for a house hold (mum dad with 2.4 kids each with a mobile, PC and a few smart devices).

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
AdGuard DNS would be sufficient for 3 devices (as a user on average uses 30 to 60 queries per month).
30 to 60? Are you sure? Looks like a typo.
On my household on a busy day, I mean during weekends when everybody is home, the daily quarries often reach 10K and more.
But overall 300,000 is more than enough and even 200,000 would do the job for my family excluding me.
I think the device limitation of Adguard DNS won't be a problem if the DNS is set on the router. It seems Adguard considers that as 1 device. Easier to set up if the router supports DoH/DoT. Otherwise, a dynamic DNS service might be required for plain DNS to link up IP automatically for shared IP users. Similar to NextDNS.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

30 to 60? Are you sure? Looks like a typo.
On my household on a busy day, I mean during weekends when everybody is home, the daily quarries often reach 10K and more.
But overall 300,000 is more than enough and even 200,000 would do the job for my family excluding me.
I think the device limitation of Adguard DNS won't be a problem if the DNS is set on the router. It seems Adguard considers that as 1 device. Easier to set up if the router supports DoH/DoT. Otherwise, a dynamic DNS service might be required for plain DNS to link up IP automatically for shared IP users. Similar to NextDNS.
You are right it is a typo :) I forgot "Thousand", so it is 30 - 60 Thousand (or 30.000 to 60.000). AG limits it to 3 devices, meaning they kept an additional +11,11% margin (3 x 60.000 = 180.000 with 20.000 margin).

In the past I always bought a new router after 6 to 7 years and kept my old router for guest network and later for smart TV and IOT devices. Just set your old router up using 2.4 GHZ with an upper IP-range pool of say 50 and use youur new router for the bottom range from (2 to 200). You could set AG DNS in the old router and connect your smart/android TV box with it (AG offers add blocking and custom rules) and use your new router on the 5GHz network with Next DNS in the router focussed on malware blocking. Only downside is the additional electricity costs of your old router, but you would enjoy advanced DNS services for free :) and partition your home network (potentially unsafe devices in their own WIFI network).

Last edited by a moderator:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
In the current state, the ping value is above 290ms.Being from India I am getting server from UK, hence the lag is too much and unbearable. Hope things will get better with the introduction of more servers.
For me it connects to Singapore server which is like ~80ms ping. Not as good as NextDNS which has servers right here in Delhi. It seems like an ISP routing issue to me.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
NextDNS is better, living in finland nearest server is @ sweden with adguard , nextdns is also faster than cloudflare warp

Reactions: Brahman

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The AdGuard DNS servers now support EDNS Client Subnet (ECS), also has an open API and now you can add OISD blocklist Full (it was only Basic before)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Private AdGuard DNS beta 4: dark theme, new localizations, and free Personal plan
We could start with some abstract introduction, but today's release is so exciting that we'll get right to the point. Meet the new version of the private AdGuard DNS! It has a dark theme and a language selection option, various improvements and bug fixes. Good news for AdGuard VPN users with a subscription: from now on they will get free access to the Personal plan of the private AdGuard DNS!

StRonK

Level 1
Apr 19, 2020
Private AdGuard DNS v0.5 BETA

[Enhancement] Added support for DDR (Discovery of Designated Resolvers)
[Enhancement] Statistic retrieval methods were added to the API
[Enhancement] Added an option to change subscription type
[Enhancement] Added an option to extend subscription
[Enhancement] Added support for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, and Italian
[Enhancement] Added the "Don’t ask again" checkbox to the system notification that appears when deleting user rules
[Fixed] After logging in via Apple ID the personal account opens instead of dashboard if the user has an AdGuard VPN subscription
[Fixed] In dark theme statistics blocks are highlighted in white
[Fixed] In dark theme text in some fields is grayed out
[Fixed] Some elements in the mobile version of the website are displayed incorrectly

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard DNS 2.0: A new level of online protection
Today we are releasing AdGuard DNS 2.0. This is a big moment for us, which we have been steadily moving toward since 2016. A lot has happened in this time – and I have so much to tell you. Let's follow the journey that AdGuard DNS has made from a half-baked experimental project to a full-fledged product with more than 50 servers in 15+ locations.
We have lots of plans for the future which we haven't yet implemented.
  1. A better integration with AdGuard VPN. You can already use AdGuard DNS alongside VPN on Android, Windows and Mac, soon we'll add iOS to that list.
  2. Integration with AdGuard Home is also planned for the future.
  3. We don't want to stop at just DNS. The end goal is to make traditional content blockers redundant (yes, this means making AdGuard redundant as well). This is of course a long shot, but reaching this goal requires more than DNS.
I hasten to reassure you: The public AdGuard DNS isn't going anywhere, you can still use it for free. But if you want all the benefits of the private AdGuard DNS, you need to choose one of four subscriptions:

Starter – a free subscription designed to get you acquainted with the service. Starter subscription does not imply technical support and is limited to 300K requests per month, 5 devices and 2 servers.

Personal – subscription tailored to protect you and your family. You get 3M requests per month, 20 devices and 5 servers, plus technical support. And if you have an AdGuard VPN subscription, you'll get a Personal AdGuard DNS subscription for free.

Team – a subscription that can be advised to owners of small businesses. It includes 30M queries per month, 200 devices, 50 servers and included support.

Enterprise – subscription for large businesses: unlimited requests, devices and servers, plus priority support.
The release of a new product is always a bit like Oscar night. Not in the sense that someone is bound to get punched in the face, of course. I mean in the sense of handing out thank yous. AdGuard DNS 2.0 became possible not only because of the work of the AdGuard development team, but also because of the beta testers. We say thank you to everyone who used our service in alpha and beta stages, found bugs and reported them. We couldn't have done it without you.

I almost forgot: as promised, we'll be holding a prize draw for those who wanted to know about the launch of AdGuard DNS 2.0 and signed up for the mailing list. At stake are 5 top routers and 10 Personal 1-year subscriptions. Besides, everyone who registers on the AdGuard DNS website before August 22 will automatically get a Starter Plus subscription, valid until October 31.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
People will blow well past the cap and who the hell only uses 3 devices in 2022? lol. Phone and laptop are already 2. So now you only have 1 left and it better be your router/gateway so you can cover all the other devices... 200,000 requests won't be enough. I hit slightly above that on NextDNS and I don't do anything crazy, no wild testing. Just browsing, consuming content. Smart TV, Playstation 5, home cameras/IoTs, smartphones make a lot of requests. Even my M1 Macbook still makes queries when asleep because of Find My Device feature. All the devices I mentioned update and download content during sleep mode. It's very easy to blow past 200,000 queries in a month. I really hope Adguard will realize that the device and query limits are inadequate for 2022.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 94943
F

ForgottenSeer 94943

People will blow well past the cap and who the hell only uses 3 devices in 2022? lol. Phone and laptop are already 2. So now you only have 1 left and it better be your router/gateway so you can cover all the other devices... 200,000 requests won't be enough. I hit slightly above that on NextDNS and I don't do anything crazy, no wild testing. Just browsing, consuming content. Smart TV, Playstation 5, home cameras/IoTs, smartphones make a lot of requests. Even my M1 Macbook still makes queries when asleep because of Find My Device feature. All the devices I mentioned update and download content during sleep mode. It's very easy to blow past 200,000 queries in a month. I really hope Adguard will realize that the device and query limits are inadequate for 2022.
Yes their free quota is not enough, but come one it is free and it is generous of them. I believe their pricing is reasonable.

Reactions: vaccineboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.