Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Webroot is terrible, I feel ashamed because I recommended this product for some friends in 2013.

I clearly remember seeing their machines destroyed by Sality and the total radio silence from Webroot, something that was detected by almost every solution in the market.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Webroot is terrible, I feel ashamed because I recommended this product for some friends in 2013.

I clearly remember seeing their machines destroyed by Sality and the total radio silence from Webroot, something that was detected by almost every solution in the market.

Laughing.... we all make a few errors. When WinPatrol WAR was being hyped around here... I purchased a copy, even though my gut instinct told me that this product was going to turn out to be lame. And of course, that product ultimately turned out to be terrible.

But your batting average is pretty darn good.... you are well established as somebody to listen to.

D

Deleted member 178

@Nightwalker @Burrito I beta test Webroot (and Prevx) since its first release (still have my license) , it was good enough at that time, however their private beta tester section is a joke (when I was member, now I don't know) , no interactions with devs, just endless changelogs and compilation of fanboys noobs, with no clues of what testing is, keep repeating "awesome! Thx for the update". loooooool
Issues reported are ignored if it hurts their feelings or "you don't know how to use it" idiotic reply. Lol even a 10 year old kid can use Webroot.
No wonder Webroot wreak havoc on dozen of thousands of systems.

From time to time, i install it to check if stuff are improving, but till now, still nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Webroot has a special rollback technology, yes, this is true -- but it won't help you get your bank account credentials back from the dark web, and it probably will not un-encrypt your personal files after a ransomware attack. And it might take more than a day until it rolls back system changes.
If that's okay with you, then use Webroot.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Webroot has a special rollback technology, yes, this is true -- but it won't help you get your bank account credentials back from the dark web,
If you look at the online banking ones (MRG tests), I have seen very few where Webroot failed to block the simulated attack and block the exfiltration of data by the banking trojan. Good remittance, and the prevention of any kind of data exaltation is not a bad model to have to protect very novice users.

-------------------------------------------------------

and it probably will not un-encrypt your personal files after a ransomware attack.
PC Mag Oct 2017 - see the section on "Ransomware Protection" simulated test

---------------------------------------------------------

And it might take more than a day until it rolls back system changes.
In the worst case scenario, that is true.

Reactions: oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

At least you have the swinging jewels to admit it. I had a few month period way way back, maybe in 2009 where I thought Webroot was going to conquer the world and recommended it to a few people. But the reality is, we never know how things will turn out, especially things that at first appear pretty nice. Look at Zemana, Heimdal, HMPA and other things.. Even people well versed in these things get nixed by this. Cruel Sister was promoting WAR like the second coming of christ and look where that its.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
That's what I meant with the tests.Webroot has not participated in so many.This is a quote from a test.:"This detection style (Webroots) doesn't fit very well with standard antivirus tests, especially those just using static samples. Even in a test that launches malware for observation, the researchers expect detection right away. As a result, Webroot simply doesn't participate in most independent lab testing. In the past, it did pass the difficult tests performed by MRG-Effitas, and my contacts at the company tell me it will appear in that lab's reports again."

And to Umbra. I don't have "safe" surfing habbits, I visit the dark web almost every day (I have had most malware blocked there). Sooo....:D

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
That's what I meant with the tests.Webroot has not participated in so many.This is a quote from a test.:"This detection style (Webroots) doesn't fit very well with standard antivirus tests, especially those just using static samples. Even in a test that launches malware for observation, the researchers expect detection right away. As a result, Webroot simply doesn't participate in most independent lab testing. In the past, it did pass the difficult tests performed by MRG-Effitas, and my contacts at the company tell me it will appear in that lab's reports again."

And to Umbra. I don't have "safe" surfing habbits, I visit the dark web almost every day (I have had most malware blocked there). Sooo....:D

I agree Webroot does do things differently, & as an ex user I avidly defended WR (to often) on it's home forum & as I remember Wilders - I never was able to explain how malware of any kind that's phoned home can be rolled back? Some things need stopping instantly & when I was using it that did not happen anywhere near fast enough.

The reviews by https://uk.pcmag.cod are always (overly) glowing & never has mentioned one of WR's glaring faults which is huge data files due to monitoring, while pontificating greatly about WR's tiny install on disc size - Maybe so for half an hour?

Not wishing to rain on PC Mags reviews but they are as far as I am aware are the only ones who give WR a best AV? I have wondered why that is :emoji_hushed: WR does remind me of the story of a line of marching men all in in time apart from one man, he is out - His mother watching says, NO! he is fine, it's the rests of the men who are out of time. :)

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I don't trust PC Mag either, but it was because what he write is true. In a conventional test, Webroot would most likely get a bad result, as there sometimes goes too long time before it remove the #####. In such a case it would be seen as a miss.That's probably also the reason they don't parcicipate in so many tests. But I just think some people don't trust Webroot, while others have much praise. On the dark web I can't count the times WSA has blocked different trojans etc. The last 5 years, I have felt completely safe with it. But MalwareTips will be the first place I will report it to, if I should be infected.:emoji_fingers_crossed:
The last 8-9 years, and with my surfing habbits, is a pretty good achievement I think.I have changed the heuristics to max though.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't trust PC Mag either, but it was because what he write is true. In a conventional test, Webroot would most likely get a bad result, as there sometimes goes too long time before it remove the [edited]. In such a case it would be seen as a miss.That's probably also the reason they don't parcicipate in so many tests. But I just think some people don't trust Webroot, while others have much praise. On the dark web I can't count the times WSA has blocked different trojans etc. The last 5 years, I have felt completely safe with it. But MalwareTips will be the first place I will report it to, if I should be infected.:emoji_fingers_crossed:
The last 8-9 years, and with my surfing habbits, is a pretty good achievement I think.I have changed the heuristics to max though.

I accept your points. Just out of interest I've installed a trial of WSA, & will give it a try out of interest not to trash it or to prove a point on here, can't do any harm :)
.. Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and oldschool
D

Deleted member 178

Of course when surfing, you are protected by the web filter which is the most effective module of WRSA. Main reason i dont ditch WRSA forever and sometimes reinstall it.

Now get your hands on some serious 0-days or scriptors, then you will see. The MT malware hub has plenty.

In the past, we did plenty of tests (static and dynamic) and WRSA was not so great (not catastrophic either) on that side.
The rollback mechanism can't save the whole system. With the actual malware landscape, you can't afford a malware to sit happily on the system to be analyzed before being quarantined.

To get the best protection from WRSA you need to adjust the settings to make it almost an anti-exe.

As I said before, I still like and willing to use WRSA, so i will wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
Of course when surfing, you are protected by the web filter which is the most effective module of WRSA. Main reason i dont ditch WRSA forever and sometimes reinstall it.

Now get your hands on some serious 0-days or scriptors, then you will see. The MT malware hub has plenty.

In the past, we did plenty of tests (static and dynamic) and WRSA was not so great (not catastrophic either) on that side.
The rollback mechanism can't save the whole system. With the actual malware landscape, you can't afford a malware to sit happily on the system to be analyzed before being quarantined.

To get the best protection from WRSA you need to adjust the settings to make it almost an anti-exe.

As I said before, I still like and willing to use WRSA, so i will wait and see.

They're supposed to be adding a new anti-scriptor feature soon.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I wouldn't stand behind Webroot at all any more not even ~0.01%. As many folks have pointed out (here at MT and abroad) the software isn't as good as it once was (even then it wasn't all too great). I see to many clients who have stuff compromised using their software. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone... Indeed the "foot print" (depending on how you look at it) is "small"... I just cannot recommend this software any more. I know there are some tech companies out there recommending it and I just do a "face palm" when I hear them say its great software.

~Brian

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1543790740467.png

To round-out the various test labs and Webroot.... here is an AV Lab test of Drive-by Downloads.

At the top... the Webroot business product is tied for dead last.

And the bottom.... the Webroot consumer product is tied for dead last.

Webroot confuses people because they occasionally get a good test result. But typically, the legitimate and good capabilities never get HAMMERED the way that Webroot does on a regular basis.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
I'm genuinely curious as to why people here get so obsessed, with a zeal that appears—at least from an outsider's point of view—to border on the frenzy of crusaders, about hammering Webroot as soon as any poster has the gall to say anything remotely positive about it.

If Webroot really is such a mediocre even useless product, what is the point of wasting so much energy repeating this fact again and again and again, and often with decidedly florid language? Why not just ignore the product?

And yet my post:
Same here :).
People I've found on the internet who serve Webroot to a large client base, appear at least to have similar (i.e. positive) experiences:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
together with Nevi's, seems to have set this thread completely and utterly on fire.

The strange thing in all this is that no-one, apart from ForgottenSeer 58943, has even attempted to address the actual content of my post:
Zfactor is funny, I remember that guy. He always has hundreds upon hundreds of clients that magically appear when he wants to win an argument.
And to be honest, I am at a loss to know how to respond to such a statement.

However, I did think it worth asking about another of the links I provided:
And Spiceworks?

That link (Link 3) consists of 143 reviews of Webroot by MSPs, many of whom serve hundreds even thousands of clients. 94% of the reviews are extremely positive and 4% are negative — this notwithstanding the incident of 24 April 2017.

No-one so far has taken me up on this.

But I would be genuinely interested in people's considered and dispassionate thoughts about this.

Reactions: oldschool and Nevi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.