App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Webroot test!
Webroot is an American antivirus. Having bought PrevX years ago, the company has kept the same philosophy by marrying the lightness of the product and the 100% Cloud.
The antivirus is very easy to use, suitable for novices. It will not be for geeks crazy about settings because there is nothing to configure.

Protection level .... on the Web, Webroot has a good Web filtering, it has only left 1 threat. Too bad it didn't catch it.

On the pack, it's another story. Although it is very effective on worms and viruses, it can't block a 0-day infection at all!
Whether it's a Botnet, Trojan or other, Webroot doesn't stop any of them.
Its proactive protection is totally lacking, including its firewall.
Webroot will do few alerts, will try to kill scripts but it's too late, a Ransomware encrypts my files and the test stops.
Antivirus not recommended, it does not know how to protect you.

RAM Usage : Light
Malware URL test : 9/10 (1 missed)
Fake crack : 0,95/1 (Injection missed)
Malware Pack : Remaining 47 files out of 124.
Very bad, disappointing and catastrophic result.
Webroot makes very little effort to protect the system. It tries to kill some scripts but a Ransomware encrypts my files and finish the test.
This result is normal because it cruelly lacks more sophisticated defenses (AMSI, Behavior Blocker, firewall worthy of the name and more advanced detection of malware)

Resistance to script attacks: No

Result : Ransomware encrypted my data. Analysis impossible. The test was stopped.

Recommand : No
System Clean : System infected, file encrypted

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Very good video @Shadowra. Although all the Webroot fanboys will say that you’re using it wrong. I never understood their reasoning. Oh well, it sucks, and everyone knows it. Absolutely useless. However, it’s very lite on your system. (because it’s not doing anything) 😂. On a side note, I sure miss PrevX. 😥.

Peace to you all ✌️
Blessed Holidays ✌️

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Although all the Webroot fanboys will say that you’re using it wrong. I✌️
I look forward to them! :D I never close a constructive debate, and I would especially like to know why they like this software so much, I always like to exchange :)

I also miss PrevX, one of the few I bought and loved to use. Webroot doesn't follow its tracks and that disappoints me....

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Very good video @Shadowra. Although all the Webroot fanboys will say that you’re using it wrong. I never understood their reasoning. Oh well, it sucks, and everyone knows it. Absolutely useless. However, it’s very lite on your system. (because it’s not doing anything) 😂. On a side note, I sure miss Prevx. 😥.

Peace to you all ✌️
Blessed Holidays ✌️
I recall using prevx too once upon a time, but wasn't it intended to run as a supplement with more standard av? (maybe my recollection is wrong??) I once made the mistake of putting webroot on mac: mac became a paperweight.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I recall using prevx too once upon a time, but wasn't it intended to run as a supplement with more standard av? (maybe my recollection is wrong??) I once made the mistake of putting webroot on mac: mac became a paperweight.

I used it in addition to OSArmor personally a long time ago. I switched to Outpost Firewall Pro afterwards because a friend gave me a license (that was a long time ago too, Outpost doesn't exist anymore)

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
I've seen a few tests of Webroot :) a lot of people use and rely on this to protect him.
It would be a huge mistake to think that this program could protect anyone.
Thanks for the test @Shadowra :emoji_beer::emoji_beer::emoji_beer:
webroot is a popular antivirus with managed service providers (msp) and even enterprises
if you tweak the webroot settings it provides some decent protection
however, i would not rely upon the rollback feature as 100% insurance
it makes sense, as with any security configuration, to do backups - which can be as simple as saving files to a flash drive or using a cloud sync service with prior version available

i have seen one company use webroot and allow its employees to byod and regularly download\install software
webroot sent email notifications about suspicious files to the admin and msp, but neither of those ever bothered to research the files and have them whitelisted if determined not malicious
however, i can say that the employees were very vigilant about emails and email attachments

installing security software is easy
it is the policies and day to day adherence to security practices that is difficult

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
The webroot is the lightest AV I have ever seen, but it is disappointing, the tests prove it. Before I forget. Thanks for the test @Shadowra. The curious thing is that on my father's computer still has webroot installed, but as he is only on Youtube, I did not even bother to change for another AV.
You want light, you need to try Vibranium, very light and very rare. :p

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
Webroot is an American antivirus. Having bought PrevX years ago, the company has kept the same philosophy by marrying the lightness of the product and the 100% Cloud.
The antivirus is very easy to use, suitable for novices. It will not be for geeks crazy about settings because there is nothing to configure.

Protection level .... on the Web, Webroot has a good Web filtering, it has only left 1 threat. Too bad it didn't catch it.

On the pack, it's another story. Although it is very effective on worms and viruses, it can't block a 0-day infection at all!
Webroot will do few alerts, will try to kill scripts but it's too late, a Ransomware encrypts my files and the test stops.

Webroot makes very little effort to protect the system. It tries to kill some scripts but a Ransomware encrypts my files and finish the test.
This result is normal because it cruelly lacks more sophisticated defenses (AMSI, Behavior Blocker, firewall worthy of the name and more advanced detection of malware)

Result : Ransomware encrypted my data. Analysis impossible. The test was stopped.

So sad! It all went downhill for them from that incident where by mistake, Webroot started deleting user files from their computers.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022

Nice job @Shadowra ❤️... waiting for your ESET vs KASPERSKY testing...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.