Webroot Spreading Ransomware ---- Really.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Really.

According to the limited research that was conducted so far, it was discovered that Webroot is the most likely target since its console allows administrators to download and execute files on machines remotely. With hackers hijacking it, infecting users with malware becomes a much easier task.
Webroot made its customers to enable two factor authentication to protect them from the potential danger or ransomware infection
In response to the incident, Webroot started messaging its customers, claiming that “a small number” of users were impacted by the hack, although the company is working on fixing the situation and ensuring their online safety.
In the e-mail that users received, Webroot stated that it is forcefully enabling the two-factor authentication feature for all the customers to prevent any possible system compromise:[6]
https://www.2-spyware.com/hackers-u...console-to-spread-sodinokibi-ransomware#ref-6

It's just hard to fathom how bad Webroot is sometimes...

Don't forget this Webfroot Classic

All the while, Webroot is the absolute worst protection you can get.

Even Wilders Kool-Aidville is starting to get it...

Umbra laid down a dose of Green Kool-Aid truth without rebuttal.

Webroot always had subpar protection, failed rollback feature, weak signature... sure their users get never infected because they never crossed a serious malware...LOL
They cover their failure behind their main motto "we don't function like others", but it doesn't fool professionals. The only thing that was worthy was the ID Shield, the rest just sucked, like the way they handled support, the forum and the beta section joke (where no real exchanges was made with the devs, just change-logs...hilarious) to finally get acquired for peanuts (aka "we sell it before it is too late, so we can get some good cash").

Their anti-exploit promise was just smoke and mirror to advertise the product before selling it.
Umbra, Jun 3, 2019
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...on-update-thread.364655/page-160#post-2831934

InSecureAnywhere
Oh Yeahh!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
"console"? I'm not sure I understand what that means. Isn't a console a gaming device, like PlayStation and XBox?

"When you first registered an account, SecureAnywhere organized your managed devices into a single console. A console is a collection of one or more devices running a Webroot product. If needed, you can create multiple consoles, which can be convenient if you are managing devices for different people and different purposes.

For example, a small business owner might want to create consoles for home and business. The home console could include the laptops and mobiles devices of family members. The business console could include laptops and mobile devices of employees. By creating these separate consoles, the administrator has simplified views into the devices used by family or by employees."

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Never heard of the product until I joined this forum and still any positive words that leaked from time to time have never got me interested. One don't always need to test things before understand what it actually is.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I used it for a while a few years ago now I suppose, I never got infected: But in 26 years of using Windows I never have anything approaching serious so may be that was pure chance. What got me in the end was the need to upload unknowns to Webroot so they could whitelist them & I thought that was their job?

Using programs other than the most poplar such as Pale Moon for example caused hugely enormous monitored files to appear in Program Data much larger than even the Norton many, many years ago could achieve. In the end these issues meant I simply could not recommend the program to those who just want to use a PC. The support staff on forum were a touch aggressive at times also, mainly if some hapless individual even hinted that WR had issues, so many were to scared to ever to log in again, or maybe to use the WWW for all time? :p

I have nothing against Webroot but I have reasons why I don’t use it & never will again. Some feel differently & I respect that.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Webroot is beyond terrible, it is the worst "security" solution that I have ever installed, period.

I feel ashamed to had recommended this product to a friend (gamer) some years ago, nonetheless he was infected with Sality and Webroot stayed radio silent for months while every security could detect the infection.

Everytime I read about Webroot I remember this article from Eugene Kaspersky:

So yes, overall, the emulator is a thing that, although complicated, is very useful. And with emulation you can test the level of true expertise of a vendor too: excellent emulator = excellent vendor. And at the other end of the spectrum – absence of an emulator is a fairly reliable sign that the vendor isn’t up to much on expertise, and probably goes in for detection-theft from their (vastly) superior competitors. Shameful!

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
All the while, Webroot is the absolute worst protection you can get.

View attachment 216295
PCMag says that Trend Micro is worse than Webroot, yet this chart shows differently.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
The only thing it`s got going for it is that it`s light and has a fast scan speed.

It`s like it hasn`t changed anything in about 10 years.

AVG free would be a much better choice.

Regards Eck :giggle:

I am afraid that fast scan means few things scanned and light means nonexistent.
This is the perfect example for how an AV can make your life even harder than non having one.

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
Umbra laid down a dose of Green Kool-Aid truth without rebuttal (emphasis mine).
????

Link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCMag says that Trend Micro is worse than Webroot, yet this chart shows differently.
That was because this review was for their Internet Security Complete version which includes their Password Manager. Their Password Manager was crappy (btw all the the Webroot Forum so-called "KoolAid" [borrowing MT Forum language] helpers who were using it thought it was crappy without exception — see the Webroot Forum). This (justifiably) dragged down their PCMag rating for that "security suite" version. See on the other hand the PCMag review for best AVs (as opposed to best Security Suites).

Also, fortunately that issue is now sorted.

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
One of the pros Webroot brought to the market was 'scan only when files change'. I remember 4-5 years ago, people thought this was crazy. They wanted to scan files (whether changed or not) ...over and over again. Webroot had to explain this methodology exhaustively. Finally, most AVs took this approach.

Edit: I stand corrected. Thanks, see below.

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Last time I used webroot maybe about 5 years ago, it deleted a handful of files from my games rendering the game useless. I didn't last more than an hour on my PC. Definitely it is crap, then and now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.