Muddy7

Level 1
One of the pros Webroot brought to the market was 'scan only when files change'. I remember 4-5 years ago, people thought this was crazy. They wanted to scan files (whether changed or not) ...over and over again. Webroot had to explain this methodology exhaustively. Finally, most AVs took this approach.
I might be wrong, but I think Kaspersky had this methodology way before Webroot.
You are correct. Kaspersky has it at least at 6.0, and Bitdefender also had it about 10 years ago. Probably others too..
Another misunderstanding.

Webroot from late 2011 onwards is, in fact, Prevx 4.0+ (Webroot entirely rebuilt its technology on Prevx, having acquired the company for that very purpose). When I started using Prevx in 2006, it was already following this approach—and presumably had been for quite a few years before then. So unless I am mistaken, Prevx/Webroot was very much the first.

I see so many misunderstandings about Webroot here that most of the time I don't bother. Plus I don't want to get into polemical arguments where it seems to be a hobby taunting and hounding, with pretty unpleasant language at that, any poster who dares to say anything other than Webroot is total ##!!$$**. Let's just say that's not my cup of tea and I've learnt my lesson... But this one is so blatant, and so elementary to explain, it just had to be said.

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

bjm_

Level 6
Verified
Last edited:

South Park

Level 1
I used Webroot for 3 yr. on my old Windows 7 laptop (which had only 3 GB of RAM) because it was the only AV light enough not to bog down the whole computer. It gave me a lot of FP's, including silently blocking and breaking PaleMoon and SeaMonkey. I dumped WR in favor of the somewhat heavier but more reliable WD for my newer Windows 10 laptop, which has a more generous 4 GB of RAM.

Nevi

Level 4
Verified
Another misunderstanding.

Webroot from late 2011 onwards is, in fact, Prevx 4.0+ (Webroot entirely rebuilt its technology on Prevx, having acquired the company for that very purpose). When I started using Prevx in 2006, it was already following this approach—and presumably had been for quite a few years before then. So unless I am mistaken, Prevx/Webroot was very much the first.

I see so many misunderstandings about Webroot here that most of the time I don't bother. Plus I don't want to get into polemical arguments where it seems to be a hobby taunting and hounding, with pretty unpleasant language at that, any poster who dares to say anything other than Webroot is total ##!!$$**. Let's just say that's not my cup of tea and I've learnt my lesson... But this one is so blatant, and so elementary to explain, it just had to be said.
Hi Muddy, good to see you. I have reached the same conclusion as you. I dont wanna argue about WSA.
I just think some love to hate Webroot, and luckily there are many other products they can use. :)

Last edited:

Muddy7

Level 1
Hi Muddy, good to see you. I have reached the same conclusion as you. I dont wanna argue about WSA.
I just think some love to hate Webroot, and luckily there are many other products they can use. :)
Good to see you too, Nevi. Yeah, I get the impression that some (not all) here "love to hate Webroot" just for sport, rather than wanting to have a proper rational discussion. They just want to bully, taunt, scorn, hound anyone who doesn't diss Webroot. Sad. I don't like bullies.

Webroot ... should probably be used with a more solid antivirus.
Have to disagree with you on that one. After nearly 13 years of using Prevx/Webroot (and comparing it to my pretty dire experience with several household name AVs I used before then), I think it's a great, and extremely solid, standalone AV! Never knowingly been infected yet since changing to it. Certainly couldn't say that for the others.

Reactions: Nevi

Nevi

Level 4
Verified
You are right. I wrote it because I am so used to that people dont believe WSA is enough. I have also used it so long with good results, but I'm tired of all the discussion. I have wrote my opinion about my experience with WSA long time ago, but it always ended up with back and forth discussions. But good you say it again.

Reactions: Muddy7