Webroot vs ESET Endpoint - MRG Test June 2016

Discussion in 'Webroot' started by hjlbx, Aug 13, 2016.

1. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Official Website:
    https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Webroot_vs_ESET_report.pdf
    Read the testing documentation very carefully and judge for yourself.

First Webroot test to be seen in a long time.

"MRG Effitas was commissioned by Webroot to conduct a comparative assessment. Webroot commissioned MRG Effitas for a comparative analysis of its Webroot SecureAnywhere Business Endpoint Protection product, and ESET Endpoint Security."

https://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Webroot_vs_ESET_report.pdf

NOTE: Pay special attention to where journaling and rollback does not\cannot protect system; Webroot marketing materials state this protection will revert system "perfectly."

2. FrankS

FrankS Level 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Thanks for sharing :)
    I tested ESET Nod32 Antivirus before 5 Minutes. HIPS isn't blocking petya ransomware.

3. woodrowbone

woodrowbone Level 8

Dec 24, 2011
    Regarding the rollback, are you talking about the scenario under 2.7.1?
    If yes, I never did try this, but if the realtime protection is off, does the "Monitor" feature of WSA still work? If that is what they were doing under 2.7.0 that is?
    To me it is unclear how they crippled WSA under 2.7.0, can anyone enlighten me?

/W

4. bobby holla

bobby holla Level 2

Oct 30, 2014
    Oakdale, California US
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Am happy with the test results. I've got Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit running and am not thing of anything else. perfect Combo

Logethica, davisd and Yash Khan like this.
  5. artek

artek Level 1

May 23, 2014

Where do they say that it's perfect? And tbh most of the marketing departments from the av companies aren't completely honest.

davisd, Logethica and Yash Khan like this.
  6. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    The ones that aren't, or partake in shady advertising deserve to be put out on front street.
    There are plenty that let their software do the talking, so they don't need to practice deceptive advertising .
    Much like the 3 in my signature ;)

davisd, Logethica and Yash Khan like this.
  7. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Search for it online... it's in published Webroot marketing documents and Youtube videos.

So it's OK for marketing departments to be only partially honest ?

8. artek

artek Level 1

May 23, 2014
    I didn't see anything advertising perfect rollback on their website, and I haven't been able to find anything advertising that on google. Do you have a link or something?

davisd and Logethica like this.
  9. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Here is just one excerpt from Webroot marketing material. It's all online -- you have to look for it.

JOURNALING, MONITORING AND ROLLBACK
    If a brand new program is introduced to an endpoint protected by Webroot SecureAnywhere, and it has no existing relationship to anything else on that machine, then local heuristics and other defenses are automatically applied to make a good or bad determination. Webroot SecureAnywhere’s rollback process ensures every change made to that particular machine by a piece of malware is reversed, getting the endpoint back to its prior pre-infected state.

The bold, italic portion is an untruth and constitutes false advertising.

davisd, Logethica and _CyberGhosT_ like this.
  10. artek

artek Level 1

May 23, 2014
    I didn't see anything advertising perfect rollback on their website, and I haven't been able to find anything advertising that on google.
    I am looking, the only thing I was able to find was this: "No reimaging Unique journaling and rollback features can reverse system changes caused by malware and infections"

davisd and Logethica like this.
  11. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

"rollback process ensures every change made to that particular machine by a piece of malware is reversed"

The above is from Webroot's Enterprise marketing materials. Somewhere out there is the same with respect to its consumer product.

The key words: "rollback process ensures every change made... is reversed."

Somewhere there is video and marketing material that specifically uses the term "perfectly." Anyhow, what is stated above in the bolded sentence is essentially the same.

WSA and Webroot Enterprise rollback do not\cannot "ensure every change made... is reversed"; file system and registry remnants remain requiring manual clean-up.

XhenEd and davisd like this.
  12. blueblackwow65

blueblackwow65 Level 11

Dec 19, 2012
    Hi Anyone know if the web filtering driver can be unchecked in settings in webroot and if so is it a big deal? THks

13. Nevi

Nevi Level 1

Apr 7, 2016
    Engineer,bandmember.
    Copenhagen
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    Go to advanced settings,Firewall/Webshield,untick enable webfiltering driver.That should do the trick.

blueblackwow65 likes this.