Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I just started my computer up after doing a windows update then I go to click on a folder on my desktop and it pops up with this error it pops up with this for all folders.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
nothing.
When I right click on the folder
upload_2016-2-11_17-21-35.png

When I double click on the folder
upload_2016-2-11_17-22-18.png

Thanks in advance. :)

Reactions: Sana

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
You stated "Just after a Windows 7 windows update." was when this issue started to occur. Unfortunately, Windows is famous for releasing botched updated or updates that cause disruptions to certain software. For instance, a year or more ago, Microsoft released an update that broke Rome: Total War (screen flickering, tearing, etc - maybe someone remembers that?). The only way to fix it was to uninstall the update. It affected it believe every version of Windows (including Windows XP). They fixed that update a few days later.

With that said, I do not believe your system is misbehaving due to malware. On my current Windows 10 installation, after recent cumulative update, my headphones sometimes have trouble registering and I have to repair it (troubleshooting feature works for this - hasn't acted up in a while).

I'm not saying Microsoft is always at fault. Even on Linux sometimes update screw things up - Microsoft just make a bigger habit of it. lol For your particular issue however I do think it is related to an update (or some other piece of legitimate software - even security is known to cause problems). After all I've also been having file association issues myself after update (just not as bad as your problem). Windows refuses to allow software to set themselves as default so I have to manually do it. So far, it has happened when trying to set PDF and browser software as default.

Never hurts to check if there is anything suspicious laying around on your computer. In any case, glad you solved your problem and hope all is good on your OS.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.