Solved Weird things with my laptop screen

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
laptop screen flickers like a mad beast, lines appears and nothing can be see on the screen
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
- checked drivers, they are up to date (test with original OEM drivers , same)
- issue present even without any softs installed after reinstallation of OS.
now the weird things:

1- screen flickers even during boot except when Rollback RX bootscreen or BIOS screen is loaded or just before the login screen of Windows (flickers stop while the windows "circle" is animating) or when Windows is shutting down...
1- if plugged-in (so not on battery), the screen flickers from "very rarely" to "no more"...
2- if on battery, and if i put the screen into some special angles, the flickers may vanish or be reduced...
3- if im on battery and i open my browser and surf to any website, the flickers stop...if i minimize my browser the flickers restart...
4- if i open WIn10 start menu, flickers stop...
5- if i link my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable, no flickers on TV...if i do dual view, screen flickers but not the TV

now what the hell is happening !

so my actual fix is to be plugged as much as possible but by this i wear my battery...

Last edited by a moderator:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Would it be possible that Windows 10 automatically changes the battery profile when you change the angle of the screen[1], minimize the browser and open the start menu? If so, I think this may be a problem of your battery.

By the way, I think [1] may be possible. For example, when the angle is very small, the OS may switch the battery profile to an "energy-saving" mode.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Sounds like either the GPU chip and/or video RAM is failing. Easy way to determine if this is the case:

1). Boot into Safe Mode. There shouldn't be any issues as this (like Rollback or Bios) isn't video intensive.

2). hook up the laptop to an external monitor. If the problem persists, it is the GPU, if not, then Gremlins.

(also check the internal temp)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
forgot to mention, if i link my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable, no flickers on TV...
if i do dual view, screen flickers but not the TV

Would it be possible that Windows 10 automatically changes the battery profile when you change the angle of the screen[1], minimize the browser and open the start menu? If so, I think this may be a problem of your battery.

By the way, I think [1] may be possible. For example, when the angle is very small, the OS may switch the battery profile to an "energy-saving" mode.

maybe i have no idea. but why if im surfing, no more flickers :confused:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Sounds like either the GPU chip and/or video RAM is failing. Easy way to determine if this is the case:

1). Boot into Safe Mode. There shouldn't be any issues as this (like Rollback or Bios) isn't video intensive.

2). hook up the laptop to an external monitor. If the problem persists, it is the GPU, if not, then Gremlins.

(also check the internal temp)

i will try safemode, now im charging the battery.

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If you put it on other monitors and it doesn't flicker then it sounds to me like your screen is failing on you. Might be lose wiring in the connectors between your computer's base and the screen?

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well Well Well @Umbra I think I know exactly what the issue is with. Well how often do you close your lid and reopen it? Do you do it every time you shut down and restart? If so there would be a loose connectivity between the display strip connecting from motherboard to your laptop LCD. Since you have mentioned it happens only in laptop lcd and not external, I can guarantee that there is nothing problem with the GPU or its drivers. The only thing which is causing the problem is the strip. If the strip is faulty and/or not connected properly to the LCD then this flicker and lines is the common problem. Have to tried to disassemble your laptop recently or often?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
If you put it on other monitors and it doesn't flicker then it sounds to me like your screen is failing on you. Might be lose wiring in the connectors between your computer's base and the screen?

Well Well Well @Umbra I think I know exactly what the issue is with. Well how often do you close your lid and reopen it? Do you do it every time you shut down and restart? If so there would be a loose connectivity between the display strip connecting from motherboard to your laptop LCD. Since you have mentioned it happens only in laptop lcd and not external, I can guarantee that there is nothing problem with the GPU or its drivers. The only thing which is causing the problem is the strip. If the strip is faulty and/or not connected properly to the LCD then this flicker and lines is the common problem. Have to tried to disassemble your laptop recently or often?

i thought it was the strips too, but i dont have the tools right now to open it. also the battery is encased in it.

if it is a strip issue why only when unplugged or in low resolution...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rishi
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
If the symptoms were generalized, I'd say it's failing hardware (especially the GPU - laptop graphics cards are extremely sensitive, mainly because they are confined in very small space and since laptop cases are very thin and compact, they do not allow for proper heat exchange between the inside of the case and the environment, thus providing inefficient cooling).
Uhm, anyway, that was too much text. Sorry. :p

Since the symptoms occur only when specific conditions are met, I'd say there's something wrong with a more external component, like the display strip (as other members have mentioned), the LCD itself, or something with the lid.

I'm afraid this is trial and error and laptops are A LOT harder than desktop PCs to diagnose.
Let's hope you find out something on your end because there are literally tens of possibilities here.
► Make sure you start from the simpler possibilities and then move to the more complex ones. Eliminate the possibilities like the refresh rate, resolution, etc and then move on to diagnosing the RAM, GPU, and other core components.

P.S. I had a (very, VERY old) laptop with similar issues as well, but it turned out really quick that it was the graphics card that broke down. Also, having your laptop connected actually helps the battery, since it is the battery drain and recharge cycles that wear batteries down. At least, drain and recharge wears laptop batteries off much faster than when they are constantly plugged in.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
my hypothesis:

- one of the strip connectors , maybe the one related to powering the screen is faulty. When in battery not enough juice are sent to the screen.

- problem:

this laptop is complicated to open myself at the moment, if i had to take it to some repair guys, they may make it worse :D

Reactions: Rishi and bunchuu
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
my hypothesis:

- one of the strip connectors , maybe the one related to powering the screen is faulty. When in battery not enough juice are sent to the screen.

- problem:

this laptop is complicated to open myself at the moment, if i had to take it to some repair guys, they may make it worse :D
Good luck, let's hope it's the strip connectors!
And actually, the possibility of tech guys tampering with a laptop and busting it up is just as probable as the user busting it up, I'm afraid.
It's like comparing trying to fix a 1950s tractor manually (desktop PCs) to trying to mess the circuitry in a 2015 Mercedes mainline vehicle (laptop). Things are quite complex in there. Opening it is only the beginning - trust me, I opened mine just to change the disk and it felt a like a pain compared to just swapping the HDDs in my main desktop PC. :D

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I don't know if I should bring this up here and now, but have you considered getting a new laptop? How old is this one?
What about a desktop PC? :D

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Can you try running the following in an a command console window with administrative privileges?
Code:
dxdiag.exe
Save the results and post them here as an attachment if you can.

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
It seems DxDiag is clean.
According to the diagnostic, there are no recognizable errors originating from your GPU component, both for the integrated Intel HD graphics chipset and the NVIDIA graphics card.
We could 85% rule out the fact that it's the GPU.
I'm afraid it must be something else that's causing the the issues.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.