Well-hidden Mac cryptomining malware found

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Cybersecurity company Jamf Threat Labs has found Mac cryptomining malware in pirate copies of Final Cut Pro. The firm says that the cryptojacking malware was particularly well hidden, and not detected by most Mac security apps. Jamf also warned that the power of Apple Silicon Macs is going to make them increasingly popular targets for cryptojacking – where malware uses your machine’s considerable processing power to mine cryptocurrencies for the benefit of attackers. As cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin have grown harder and harder to mine, demanding extensive GPU resources, there have been increasing incentives for bad actors to use cryptojacking techniques. This is where they get malware onto a significant number of other people’s devices in order to mine currency for them as a background process.
At the time of our discovery, this particular sample was not being detected as malicious by any security vendors on VirusTotal. A handful of vendors seemed to have started detecting the malware since January 2023, however, some of the maliciously modified applications continue to go unidentified. The source was a well-known Pirate Bay uploader, whose cracked apps include Photoshop, Logic Pro, and Final Cut Pro. The method used to hide the malware from detection is somewhat involved – and Jamf said it was far better disguised than the first two generations. The third generation was where the malware got really sneaky.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
You compromise MacOS system (which is harder than Windows) with pirated software, and you install crypto mining malware?

I don't see how that's worth the cost, not sure you would make a decent amount of money beyond a $1 or $2.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.