marcopaone

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
Good joob McAfee...
Teach angels how to block viruses

Link Ransomware: WinRAR-x64-571it (1).exe (MD5: FD3F3AF76D31D8F134E2E02463D89D29) - Interactive analysis - ANY.RUN

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Well, this is the exact piece of ransomware I tested against MCafee 2 weeks ago.
Sodinokobi.
Clearly the client was offline, and that made the mess.
If Inet is connected, Mcafee would have surely blocked it by its cloud signatures.
(Jti: Suspect!)
Mcafee doesn't have any client based offline behavior based system.
However my ransom extension is "atv 9362"

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
McAfee has been a substandard AV for over a decade.

There have been a few positive test results recently... so maybe they are finally turning it around.

But 'the turnaround' has been speculated on for over a decade. And CrapAfee has remained pretty bad.

We shall see.

L

Local Host

McAfee has been a substandard AV for over a decade.

There have been a few positive test results recently... so maybe they are finally turning it around.

But 'the turnaround' has been speculated on for over a decade. And CrapAfee has remained pretty bad.

We shall see.
Over a decade ago McAffee was famous for bricking Windows Systems as well, I recommended every company to remove it to avoid conflicts/problems.

Before anyone comes yelling Windows 10, this was back with systems like Windows XP and Windows 7 (Windows 10 wasn't even a thing back then).

Mikesierra

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2018
Thats´s bad but frankly I´m not surprised. I´ve had similar experiences with McAfee Endpoint Protection for Enterprise. Nevertheless, this is the outcome that one can expect from a working and reliable endpoint protection solution (Wisevector StopX) which doesn´t rely on signatures.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.