Hot Take WeVPN has shut down, users now move to Windscribe

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Windscribe did not acquire WeVPN, both companies confirmed: “While this is not an official partnership, we are confident that Windscribe will provide you with the quality VPN experience you have come to expect from WeVPN,” the company said. In an FAQ posted on Windscribe’s Reddit page, a company representative said “we have not purchased WeVPN in any capacity. We have not paid any money, or are receiving any compensation from WeVPN for this. This is purely a gesture of good will championed by our founder Yegor.” Windscribe will cover people’s WeVPN accounts for three months up to two years, the company also said. “If your time with WeVPN was purchased from a specific promotion (lifetime, etc.) we are unable to provide that amount of time here.”

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Market is saturated with Vpn's anyway, has been for some time. There is going to be a lot of bloodletting in the security industry from the state of the economy, it's not good but not terrible it's the strong jobs market that is holding the world from recession. People are just getting by and holding their heads above water, the first things to go will be discretionary items like Vpn's/software subscriptions then consumer spending on clothes & electronics will follow.

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Another one bites the dust. Wish them well in their future endeavors.

Not affiliated with them in any way, but I’ve always been satisfied with Mullvad. Mostly because their product is clean, no bloat, and often open source.

But honestly, I care less about privacy and more about security, stability, and speed for my VPN. Does anyone know of a VPN that focuses on those three aspects? Something that can fully use my 1 gbps line? If it logs some things here and there, I’m fine with that as long as it’s normal stuff like user’s source ip, and not detailed logs of everything I access.

Anyone know of such a service? They would have to be more stable, faster, and secure than Mullvad. And that’s a tough thing to do since Mullvad exceeds on all of those fronts except speed. Speeds are eh. But security is pretty good AFAIK, they even get audited every year.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Does anyone know of a VPN that focuses on those three aspects? Something that can fully use my 1 gbps line?
Doesn't exist sorry. There are basically 4 privacy centric Vpn's left now they are Mullvad, PerfectPrivacy, IVPN & AirVpn. Then there is mainstream Vpn's with Nord, PIA, Windscribe, Express, PureVpn & CyberGhost. All except PP rent VPS servers on supposed 1GBPS lines but you will never reach that speed or come close unless you use a dead server which is bad for privacy. All 4 privacy Vpn's are solid choices though, you just can't expect everything in today's world. No company is renting 500 dedicated 1GBPS servers, cost would make you bankrupt or close to it.

Reactions: a090 and vtqhtr413

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
I like mullvad too, it reduces my 550 mbps down to 250. I've used OVPN and it was faster, about 450 mbps down.

I was already looking into OVPN and seeing you say this has peaked my interest! How is the service aside from the speeds? Are the apps functional and not buggy? Did you reach out to their support, if yes, how did it go?

Thanks brother!

Reactions: Trident

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I was already looking into OVPN and seeing you say this has peaked my interest! How is the service aside from the speeds? Are the apps functional and not buggy? Did you reach out to their support, if yes, how did it go?

Thanks brother!
Well I dunno... I don't dislike OVPN, I just use mullvad 95% of time so cannot give you a fair assessment. IIRC OVPN costs more. I like mullvad's payment plan, flat rate $5 / month or perhaps its 5 Euros. No pressure, no hype, no gimmicks. Also like mullvad split tunnel. OVPN may have split tunnel too, I just don't recall.

Reactions: a090

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.