Advice Request What about using Webroot AV + CF/cs together?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I've used CF w/ avast and KFA and neither gave me a problem. I currently run Voodooshield, KFA and OSarmor. It's very light and i haven't heard a peep from anything
If you take off OSArmor, I think you will find it even lighter. Voodooshield has strong script protection. Unless you have some fancy custom settings in OSArmor that you need, I think that Voodooshield has you covered.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Avast free is not as strong as Kaspersky free, but you don't need a top AV, if you have CFW at CS settings.
My recommendation is Avast free -- but do a custom installation, and only take:
File shield
Behavior shield
Web shield
and perhaps Mail shield, if you think you need it.

In which case, use AVG free with only the same modules installed + block AVGUI.exe in firewall. No adds, no problems, nice UI! (y)

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
In which case, use AVG free with only the same modules installed + block AVGUI.exe in firewall. No adds, no problems, nice UI! (y)

Took your suggestion, and installed AVG Free to try but noticed in the general settings, that there is no "Hardened Mode" like Avast is known to have:

Good or Bad? I read that both have the same engines now due to the merger, so does it mean that Avast's protection would be better in terms of Behavior Blocker?

I do not know if the feature was removed in Avast because I have not tried it, yet. The gui does look nice, though.

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
How would you compare AVG free to Avast free?

There basically the same, except Avast has the now hidden hardened mode. For me, it would depend on what I'm using with either.

Good or Bad? I read that both have the same engines now due to the merger, so does it mean that Avast's protection would be better in terms of Behavior Blocker?

I do not know if the feature was removed in Avast because I have not tried it, yet. The gui does look nice, though.

Why would you need more of anything if you're using CF+cs? An AV with web filter provides a little extra confidence. I've even tried AVG with VoodooShield, and feel comfortable that it's enough protection. AVG is virtually the same as Avast, except as noted above. @stefanos is the Avast/AVG expert, if you wish to know more.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Good point.
If a person has CFW at CS settings, he doesn't need Avast hardened mode. All he needs is a reliable AV that stays out of the way.

And that would be what I am trying out now AVG Free or some other AV that is reliable and stays out of way....suggestion?

Thanks.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
There basically the same, except Avast has the now hidden hardened mode. For me, it would depend on what I'm using with either.

Why would you need more of anything if you're using CF+cs? An AV with web filter provides a little extra confidence. I've even tried AVG with VoodooShield, and feel comfortable that it's enough protection. AVG is virtually the same as Avast, except as noted above. @stefanos is the Avast/AVG expert, if you wish to know more.
If you use AVG with voodooshield sure you are super secure. But if you want more light protection Avast free only with syshardener( because of hardener mode ) the protection is top. Extra Avast have better web filter and with the Avast extesion against phishing is better from netcraft

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The "best" AV is sort of like what's your favorite color. You just need to use what works right on your system, because every system is different. The issues that make me pull out whatever hair I have left might not ever even happen to you.
That being said, my favorite AVs are:
Windows Defender (especially when tweaked by @Andy Ful's ConfigureDefender)
Avast free

Both work great with Comodo Firewall at the famous CruelSister settings.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

:):) i am not expert. I am normal user

• Applause
Reactions: Nestor and bribon77

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
:):) i am not expert. I am normal user

Well I read and listened, and took the plunge, and installed Avast Free with Hardened Mode active alongside my CF/cs.

If all else fails, I will just throw out the PC, and buy a new one:).

In reality, I have Backups to which I can revert in worst case scenario.

Much thanks to all who took the time to contribute to my OP.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well I read and listened, and took the plunge, and installed Avast Free with Hardened Mode active alongside my CF/cs.

If all else fails, I will just throw out the PC, and buy a new one:).

In reality, I have Backups to which I can revert in worst case scenario.

Much thanks to all who took the time to contribute to my OP.
If you want to throw out the PC, just call me, I'll come and collect it. Lol :)

Reactions: SearchLight

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
From my experience I really would not recommend Webroot, I've not had this software on my pc for a month. The protection when I tested this software was poor to say the least, in C:/ProgramData/WRData this software take up a lot of HDD/SDD when scanning, detecting et al, Leave in the folder .db & .dmp files. .db can exceed 500mb, where as the .db files can total even more sometimes, in 8 days the folder too up more than 1.2GB of data, if you have an SSD this can shorten it's life heavy with the constant re-writing of data.

My advice for a free AV, go with either Kaspersky Free or Sophos Free (they own HitmanPro).

Or a light combo of Avast w/ hardened mode on + Syshardener.

~LDogg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A real world scenario would be a user paying Webroot annually to detect less than 80% of malware and getting infected paying double the price.
I did not specify a specific AV software, most Windows 10 users should be able to try Windows Defender Antivirus before deciding it's good or not. Not based around others' opinions or malware testing reviews.

Reactions: LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I did not specify a specific AV software, most Windows 10 users should be able to try Windows Defender Antivirus before deciding it's good or not. Not based around others' opinions or malware testing reviews.
Malware testers from MWT are far more realistic then a YouTuber throwing 1000 virus samples into a folder with the hope of the AV or suite getting a good detection ratio. These AV tests do reflect real world habits or day to day tasks our society faces.

In regards to the MWT testers they have a more believable and home user friendly decision based posting as they test samples you could see in the wild with software you would actually use, not a random software a fan wants to see testing throwing at it 10 random infected sites, phishing sites and 1000 malware samples.

Take these tests as a pinch of salt, i 100% with Spawn over his opinion here.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.