Battle What antivirus should I install on a 10 years old PC?

Compare list
Avast
Avira
Malwarebytes
Emsisoft
Kaspersky
SecureAPlus
Sopho

pokee

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 4, 2018
Yes we are in 2019 ....I'm talking here about 10 yrs old pc>>.[2 core..4 ram ]and windows 7 lite ...it's just for browsing and office work...without installing things....i saw a lot of options after searching....but don't want to test them one by one....hope someone here will advice us with a programs that will do a job without eating the poor resource of the system...
i'll use the suggest software beside OsArmor...

Last edited by a moderator:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
A cloud AV indeed, some others:

A web-filter would be a nice addition:

L

Local Host

I can't recommend any, without more details.

Depending on your habits you may need a more effective product or not, you asking for light so I say ESET.

Stay away from Malwarebytes, is a resource hog and ineffective as Anti-Virus.
I recommend eset but you do not have it on the list, kaspersky in my case barely consumes resources, you could also use avast I think it consumes less than kaspersky
Avast using less resources than Kaspersky would be the day, this is not 2006.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I have a 10 year old laptop with dual core Celeron 1.8 GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM and 240GB SSD.
Comodo Cloud will feel the lightest, Comodo Firewall also.
Other options are Avast, Kaspersky SC Free (scan files only upon execution), 360 Security Essentials.

Other free options I didn't test so I cannot tell.

jswami328

Apr 13, 2019
Yes we are in 2019 ....I'm talking here about 10 yrs old pc>>.[2 core..4 ram ]and windows 7 lite ...it's just for browsing and office work...without installing things....i saw a lot of options after searching....but don't want to test them one by one....hope someone here will advice us with a programs that will do a job without eating the poor resource of the system...
i'll use the suggest software beside OsArmor...
Bitdefender is best.

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I think most people will not agree with my suggestion but you can try it as it worked for me. On my 8 year old pc (intel dual core and 2GB RAM) bitdefender internet security was very light no lag during application launching or anything else on my pc and great protection and using 100-120 MB RAM. You can try it otherwise comodo cloud or Kaspersky security cloud will be my choice

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
1. immunet AntiVirus without ClamAV engine. Is the more light solution. 2. Comodo cloud antivirus not light like immunet but have better protection. 3. 360 Total Security Essential (protection balanced)

pokee

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 4, 2018
It really depends on a lot of factors. Is it always connected to the Internet? If isn't you may discard all cloud options.

What is the full configuration of the computer?
yes always connect ......but not for gaming ,torrent,programing with cracks or even install extra programs
just browsing and office work
i said before up about spec : 2 core - 4 rams ddr2 - windows 7 lite

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
yes always connect ......but not for gaming ,torrent,programing with cracks or even install extra programs
just browsing and office work
i said before up about spec : 2 core - 4 rams ddr2 - windows 7 lite

In this case I would try the cloud solutins first as others have pointed out in this thread, Kaspersky Cloud, Comodo, etc. See how they behave in your particular setting if they cause any problems.

I see in the OP you said you don't want to test one by one but that is actually the best option. What is very light in a computer may be heavy in another and only by testing you will know if a particular product causes any problems in your computer. Notice that even the famous ESET was heavy in a computer I owned a few years ago while Bitdefender Total Security has been running quite well on my father-in-law's I3 computer for nearly two years.

pokee

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 4, 2018
I recommend eset but you do not have it on the list, kaspersky in my case barely consumes resources, you could also use avast I think it consumes less than kaspersky
i didnt put Eset...cuz there is no free version of ...this pc is for a person not knowing alot in computer ...i formatted to him...and dont wanna put to him a premium software that it will disable after a while ...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I have a 10 year old laptop with dual core Celeron 1.8 GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM and 240GB SSD.
Comodo Cloud will feel the lightest, Comodo Firewall also.

I actually ran Avast and Comodo together on a computer with slightly lesser specs than you have in your laptop. At the time, it had a dual core E2160 1.8 GHz and 2 GB with an IDE drive. Even had Avast in hardened mode and scanning everything on the fly. Comodo worked well for this, and alone it would be as good as possible for the dual core/4GB resource-wise, considering the full system is protected.

Maybe you could try Avast Secure Browser too. This browser seems to be strong on low spec computers here. Netcraft and uBlock are the extensions I use but Malwarebytes extension/Emsisoft are popular.

I have since updgraded the PC to core 2 quad and 4 GB, but I still have Avast + Comodo on the PC now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.