What are advantaje of 3rd party security products? (Emsisoft and Norton Cases)

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i still thinking somethings. Before the security industry are very primitive. I came from a time (1990-2000) where have a paid product guarantee you "security". From 2000 to 2010 have a free av boom. And then have a boom of third party apps. When Windows implement MSE then WD some people say third party products are not need it. Now whith the recent CCleaner hack no one AV or AM product detect it. We are unprotected. Now MS introduces folder restriction policy and another system tweaks like ASRL and things very strage. My cuestion is. The AVS (AM) detect 90% or aobve of existent malware. But normal user are always in 50 to 50 probaiblitys of infect. The Windows OS are every day more secure. And products like Appguard, Appcheck, WAR, Vodooshield, SAP, Ransomoff are more and more popular and efective againts malware. What advantaje offers 3rd party products now in this escenario where "Especific security apps" rules and are more efective over every AV.
For example Folder protection in windows defender are very cool feature and no one AV have this feature It means are in disvantage againts Windows Defender?
If we evaluate Windows defauld security tools versus Norton or Emsisoft or Kaspersky ? what happen
WD+SmartScreen+WAC+ASRL+Standart user Account versus Emsisoft Whitout this features or nortton whitou this features . What is the best?
Is the age where we can live whith Deny by default?
What do you think

(I am pretty interested in Emsisoft and Norton cases What they offer ? What are the advantaje to use it ? Why they are better if not have Folderp rotection feature?

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well it is a fact that Microsoft is really caring to protect their OS' and more through time passes by. But we should always take into account that for 2,000 Microsoft Engineers and programmers fixing and protecting their OS, there're hundreds of millions of people trying to break their security. They'll never create a perfect secure OS because there is no such thing.

Antivirus market was born due to the uprising of malware attacks and the lack of protection offered by Microsoft. Now that this kind of attacks are so common, Microsoft is betting for their own products and policies.
The reason, i believe, why Windows Defender isn't yet the universal software everybody use is because antivirus companies are releasing more and more interesting modules and versions to cover everything WD doesn't do. There will be a time where Microsoft's default antivirus will be a solid piece of program hard to beat and i think that will be when most users will turn to it, due to its compatibility. But i hardly think antivirus industry will die, since they always add new things to make their products interesting. And they always make us think we need to buy their software despite we really do not need it. Marketing. I've read well known companies talking crap about Windows Defender when they saw it was becoming a new solid piece of option. Why they didn't before? Because Microsoft was no competition. Welcome to the market.

D

Deleted member 65228

WD+SmartScreen+WAC+ASRL+Standart user Account versus Emsisoft Whitout this features or nortton whitou this features . What is the best?
Neither of them. It just doesn't work like that IMO.

You can use a Standard User Account (SUA) with User Account Control and SmartScreen, and tag on Windows Defender as your security solution. If you make good choices then it should be good.

You can use a Standard User Account (SUA) with User Account Control and SmartScreen, and tag on Emsisoft Anti-Malware as your security solution. If you make good choices then it should be good.

The key is yourself, because you are always the first line of defence.

My advice to you would be to experiment with different security software after assessing what your needs are and which approach you'd like to take. If you want to lock-down your configuration then maybe AppGuard would be a good idea, whereas if you want to just install some security software, set and forget then look into vendors like Norton, ESET or Emsisoft. If you have different needs then the approach you may take will be different. Features vary between different software.

Depending on your needs you may wish to do a combination which works well for you, and make use of software designed for anti-exploit or anti-ransomware.

At the end of the day it boils down to you as a user: your own choices and use of your mind. The only person who will know for sure which security product you want to use is yourself, and people often discover which one is best for them through some research and trial and error. Everyone has different needs whether it be privacy wise, ease of use, types of protection components/how the product works, etc.

What works for me, your next door neighbour or the frog in your back-garden may not work for you! This is why the security industry is actually bigger than ever and is quite the opposite from dying (like some people claimed many years ago and still do), because there is so much selection and people around the globe have different needs than the same.

However on the other hand, if you want an easy response:
I would pick Emsisoft over Windows Defender if you're just after a good security solution. Windows Defender works for many though, I use it on and off sometimes too.

I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you want good protection, get a good anti-exe or HIPS product. And once you have that, all those fancy AVs are superfluous and just get in your way.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Microsoft is not a company dedicated to security, although there are positive developments that still have to polish things. that is to say it is still in diapers, if we compare it with Kaspersky or Eset or Norton, and Emsisoft

D

Deleted member 178

(I am pretty interested in Emsisoft [...] What they offer ?What are the advantaje to use it ?
- Dual real-time engine
- Behavior Blocker with anti-ransomware/windows firewall protection
- surf protection denying access to suspicious sites

Why they are better if not have Folderp rotection feature?
Folder protection is just a read only feature, so it block everything (legit or not) not whitelisted to write on the selected folders. Which is an hassle to most users and i bet you will see lot of "help" request from those activating it without knowing what they are doing...i already see many on forums...

Emsisoft blocks only detected suspicious files, not every files.

I will use an analogy:.
"it is easy to prevent bank robberies, if you close the door and prevent everybody to get in the bank" :p

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
only IF you can handle them, if not it is worse than using an AV, and most users can't. note that security geeks able to handle such software are only an handful.
The user doesn't have to start at the top, he doesn't have to manually configure rules and edit command lines. He can start simple: Voodooshield stable version, running in autopilot mode.

santiano

Nov 8, 2017
In my view, using 3rd party security products is more beneficial and it provides superfluous protection from malware and all latest cyber threats. Today many programs are available which is capable of giving complete protection and provides 360 security.

Reactions: shmu26

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Speed... Windows Defender feels quite heavy on my system... Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Eset are noticeably faster on it. Your personal experience may vary, of course :)

The multiple layers of protection 3rd party security software offers are quite welcome as well as they are ofte quite configurable.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.