Question What are the best options for fast and secure VPN's?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lad With a Dad

Thread author
Oct 8, 2023
Hi,

I was wondering what your opinions are on speedy VPN's as most of the websites I look at to compare just have the same results or just random options in there. I used surfshark in the past and stopped using them because at the time I was getting terrible speeds and wasn't sure if that was an issue on their end or mine. I've been using nord lately but did stumble upon a website that detected the use of a VPN and was wondering if that's because of the popularity, server locations or just VPN's in general. I greatly appreciate everyone's opinions and inputs.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
There are many threads here asking the same question if you search a bit.
A lot of posters will just recommend their favourite, others will provide more relevant info. Mulvad is a favourite here.
A lot of websites detect VPN's now, not sure if there is a way around it.
I recommend finding a few that provide free trials and see which you like best.

rooney49

Level 1
Jun 14, 2023
I use Windscribe as I got lifetime license around 2016-2017 time. Bought Adguard VPN subscription recently from Stacksocial. In speedtest, Adguard local server is faster than the Windscribe one at-least in my case.
But both are great VPNs that I use frequently.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
There are many threads here asking the same question if you search a bit.
A lot of posters will just recommend their favourite, others will provide more relevant info. Mulvad is a favourite here.
A lot of websites detect VPN's now, not sure if there is a way around it.
I recommend finding a few that provide free trials and see which you like best.
yes mullvad is on my fav list but it does cost $5 /month. Proton vpn is free with good service and you can upgrade it for small cost.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
My isp gives me speed of 100/60, here are results of adguard and f secure

With adguard VPN
1697482582466.png

with f secure freedome vpn
1697482760883.png

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

Before asking which program is right for you, you should think about what has been said here about the effectiveness of vpn networks

I can confirm that I used popular VPN programs with some games and applications, but I sometimes noticed things related to my original geographical location, which means that there may be other ways to discover the real IP that you are connecting from

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Also, if the VPN is compatible with your AV. Some can be skittish when mixed :)

My isp gives me speed of 100/60, here are results of adguard and f secure

With adguard VPN
View attachment 279152
with f secure freedome vpn
View attachment 279153

My ISP default.
charter.jpg

F-Secure Total, which is bundled with Freedom VPN. Connected to the likely best possible server. And on ipleak.net it doesn't leak.
f secure vpn.jpg

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Well, my 2 cent's worth... I subscribed to ProtonVPN, Mail, etc. for years and had zero speed issues with Mac OS-X, but it crushed my iOS stuff so I stopped using VPN's all together with those.

I am so over the issue (anti-virus' too) I now use TOR Browser for stuff I'm worried about and if it won't connect, I just don't bother. I haven't found anything 'that' critical to my day-to-day survival so far.

For all other stuff, I use maxed-out Firefox and force HTTPS. Seems to work ok and the only sites that stop connection are usually geo-fenced or huge metadata collectors, and I tend to treat connection refusal to those sites as a handy warning sign rather than a hindrance.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Hi,

I was wondering what your opinions are on speedy VPN's as most of the websites I look at to compare just have the same results or just random options in there. I used surfshark in the past and stopped using them because at the time I was getting terrible speeds and wasn't sure if that was an issue on their end or mine. I've been using nord lately but did stumble upon a website that detected the use of a VPN and was wondering if that's because of the popularity, server locations or just VPN's in general. I greatly appreciate everyone's opinions and inputs.
It is not uncommon for websites to detect VPN servers or even TOR Nodes. I would not base my decision on this. If Nord speeds ect have been not an issue, and your only issue was that, i would just stick with Nord personally. It is a good VPN with decent security features. Others opinions can give you something to ponder but at the end of the day, you have to pick one that works for your needs and uses.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Many websites can detect when someone is using a VPN. Windscribe meets my needs for a VPN. I have tried a few different VPNs. ExpressVPN is a good all-around option, but it is quite expensive. I used ExpressVPN for three years straight and found it to have a clean interface, fast servers, and to be reliable and trustworthy. The speed was consistently excellent, no matter where I was connecting. It was also one of the few VPNs that could unblock streaming networks and keep up with them. They have many servers, including some unique locations. The KillSwitch is effective, and privacy and security measures are excellent. They also have audits for added assurance. I used ExpressVPN in the past, before Kape joined them.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I bought a subscription of BulletVPN (only because I could get it very cheap). I did not do much research (30 day money back guarantee, so can just check yourself). Reviews of BulletVPN were not great, but also not bad either. Normally their speed is good. Some of their servers have some problems (not always connecting, e.g. Amsterdam and Vienna). I don't use VPN as much as other people, so I am glad I bought a life time license for just 35 euro with a discount on stack social. With Edge now offering limited VPN bandwidth (automatically when you connect to a domain), to me it feels VPN is somewhat overhyped. Possibly because security vendors also try to sell people more subscriptions. So for me the cheapest option was the best option :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.