Solved What are these icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

avfs

Thread author
Sep 18, 2013
A couple of years ago i had the fake windows anti virus malware and another one which deleted my desktop icons and windows start shortcuts. I had the virus and malware removed by malwarebyes ad norton 360.

Recently i had installed the new updates from windows, (i havent done for a while) and these new icons are appearing next to the shortcut icons.

One is a shield - which ask me the program needs permission to continue the other is two user icons which i dont know what it means. What are they and is it something i should be worried about?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 518
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 510

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NPE = Norton Power Eraser.
rKill is rKill which kills malicious processes.

The shield is UAC= User Access Control or Run as Administrator.

Thanks. :D

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Norton Power Eraser is used to remove stubborn malware that usually the Norton AV, IS or 360 cannot deal with. You can read more about NPE here:
https://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v69675421_EndUserProfile_en_us

NPE can be downloaded through the Norton Antivirus, Internet Security and 360's user interface. You can safely uninstall Norton Power Eraser without compromising your computers' security.

Upvote 0

avfs

Thread author
Sep 18, 2013
Littlebits said:
avfs said:
what is the icon on the left of rkill with the two users?

That indicates that file is shared on the network with other users.

Why is it suddenly appearing on my shortcuts when i download stuff. It did not happen before, is it because i updated my windows update patches?

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Maybe you had UAC disabled before and now it is enabled, if UAC is disabled you will not see the shield on your icons.

For the shared icons maybe you did not have network sharing enabled on your system and now it is enabled. If it is disabled you will not see the shared users on your icons or maybe you didn't have those files shared before but now they are shared or you could have downloaded rKill from another system on your shared network.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.