Poll What are your security and privacy 2018 New Year's resolutions ?

Discussion in 'General Security Discussions' started by TrinitronMSDOS, Dec 25, 2017.

?

In 2018, to improve your overall security & privacy, you are planning to (multiple choice possible):

1. Change your AV/Security Suite for a different one

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Add an extra layer of security (anti-malware, firewall, sandbox, white listing software, etc...)

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Use an Ad-Blocker

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Use a password manager

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Activate 2 step authentication for your accounts

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. Add extra browser extensions (HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, etc...)

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Use a backup/disk imaging software (or be more serious with your manual backups)

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  8. Use a VPN

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  9. Do other changes (please specify in comments bellow)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Nothing, you're perfectly satisfied as it is (feel free to specify why in comments bellow)

31 vote(s)
    49.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Yet it still fails to protect a machine in the hub on a regular basis.But, I suppose it's like anything else - tweak the settings and it is much better.

2. plat1098

plat1098 Level 5

Aug 23, 2017
    Brooklyn
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Not planning to add anything but the year hasn't happened yet. This verdammte machine still isn't fully compatible with the Fall CU anyway, I feel like I'm online with an oversized house of cards in a metal box. Just one more software and who knows what happens. :rolleyes:

3. Kubla

Kubla Level 2

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    #23 Kubla, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    According to this: UEFI scanner can help protect your device against malware attacks

"ESET latest endpoint security products now include an industry first UEFI scanning."

Which ones and how to get them I am not sure but would like to find out.

Looks like it is available in their home products too:
    What's new in ESET version 11 home products

davisd, bribon77, ZeroDay and 2 others like this.
  4. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Level 9

Jun 22, 2014
    Two step authentication is what I`d like to implement as sheer laziness got in the way the last time.

Apart from that nothing except to keep things as light and secure as possible and keep a beady eye on the exciting development of NVT OSAmour.

Regards Eck:)

5. Kubla

Kubla Level 2

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    I want to migrate to a signature-less AI solution.

6. Quassar

Quassar Level 7

Feb 10, 2012
    Poland, Bielsko - Biała
    I selected nothing casue i have probably all kind of layers security on my machine :D
    At last i would just swap to other alternative software if comes something new in furture to test it.

SpyShelterFirewall / (WinPatrol Bundle on 2nd pc)
    AppGuard
    Vmware Workstation / Sandboxie / ShadowDefender
    VPN Proton Mail / VPN Phantom Avira Pro
    Paragon
    SecureAPlus + Zemana and Malwarebytes o/d
    KeePass / VeraCrypt

Summary profit:
    Firewall + HostsMan domain black list
    HIPS + (2x)Partial anti-exe from AppGuard and Sandboxie feature
    SRP (3x) AppGuard / SpyShelterFW and Sandboxie
    Isolation ((2x)+1) on main Shadow Defender + Sandboxie optional VMware
    VPN i use only 1 in same time ^^ but i have 2 to chosen if other dont work but it never yet happen ^^
    Backup by Paragon in stand alone not conected HDD

From this all setup only SecureAPlus is not lifetime key for me, rest are does <3

7. askalan

askalan Level 9
    AV Tester

Jul 27, 2017
    Germany
    Linux
    Doctor Web
  8. 212eta

212eta Level 7

May 11, 2011
    Windows Desktop
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    Almost a decade without Real-Time Scanners. :cool:

9. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Hello and Merry Christmas everyone, I have switched from Bitdefender to Windows Defender, and from Zemana Anti Malware to Malwarebytes, and I feel more secure:)

10. Dhruv2193

Dhruv2193 Level 3

Nov 7, 2016
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I am currently very happy with emsisoft. I have tested it against many samples and did not miss any. And for web protection i am using heimdal which is excellent.

11. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Better Backups for all devices; Windows, Android, iOS & macOS.

TrinitronMSDOS likes this.
  12. AtlBo

AtlBo Level 22

Dec 29, 2014
    Qihoo 360
    #32 AtlBo, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Maybe one thing would be to take NVT ERP to the extreme to see if I can come up with a reusable template for Windows 7. It's very tedious digging through NVT, so that's the reason it's so difficult. Command line wildcarding can be tricky too. I'd like to be able to have this template for use on any W7 PC as the starting point, including program settings, allowed processes, and common Windows command lines/wildcard versions of them.

13. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #33 Slyguy, Dec 27, 2017
    My changes would be -

Further penetration testing on my network. Evaluation of new network based technologies for security.

Also, I simply must find a proper OS replacement for Windows on systems at home that don't absolutely need to run Windows. So far that search has been rather fruitless and frustration is mounting. But hopefully in 2018 I will make that transition away from Windows, which at this point I view as a virtually unsecurable system in the modern age.

CodaPG and TrinitronMSDOS like this.
  14. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #34 Slyguy, Dec 27, 2017
    Remember, every Fortigate Appliance comes with 10 Free FortiClient (paid) licenses for the full suite. So you can dispense with Kaspersky and go with the fully actualized FortiClient on your endpoints, then supplement it with something like OS Armor, Voodooshield or whatever if you like. Fortiguard DNS is another layer and probably has better malware domain lists than KIS. IMO. Also since the DNS is on your router it will provide FortiGuard DNS filtration for every device in the home.

Also note, FortiGuard DNS is quite private and has very limited logging most of us in IT consider it quite close to anonymous. Only threat IPs are stored, other IP resolutions are purged every 48 hours and not stored for analytical reasons or sold to third parties. Remember, FortiGuard DNS is NOT advertised to the general public, it's free and nobody is blocked from using it, but the primary intended purpose is for corporate clients to use as their primary DNS forward location. So you are getting what amounts to secured, private, highly effective enterprise DNS. :unsure:

TerrakionSmash and ZeroDay like this.
  15. Quassar

Quassar Level 7

Feb 10, 2012
    Poland, Bielsko - Biała
    So FortiGuard DNS is better than DNSCrypt?!

TrinitronMSDOS and AtlBo like this.
  16. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    That's sealed the deal.