What are your security and privacy 2018 New Year's resolutions ?

In 2018, to improve your overall security & privacy, you are planning to (multiple choice possible):

• Change your AV/Security Suite for a different one

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Add an extra layer of security (anti-malware, firewall, sandbox, white listing software, etc...)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Use an Ad-Blocker

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Use a password manager

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Activate 2 step authentication for your accounts

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Add extra browser extensions (HTTPS Everywhere, Ghostery, etc...)

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Use a backup/disk imaging software (or be more serious with your manual backups)

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Use a VPN

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Do other changes (please specify in comments bellow)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Nothing, you're perfectly satisfied as it is (feel free to specify why in comments bellow)

Votes: 32 49.2%

• Total voters

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I wish there were software that protects and scans firmware and UEFI.

I also want something that tells me if the firmware on my IoT devices is up to date or how I can update it.

According to this: UEFI scanner can help protect your device against malware attacks

"ESET latest endpoint security products now include an industry first UEFI scanning."

Which ones and how to get them I am not sure but would like to find out.

Looks like it is available in their home products too:
What's new in ESET version 11 home products

Last edited:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I selected nothing casue i have probably all kind of layers security on my machine :D
At last i would just swap to other alternative software if comes something new in furture to test it.

SpyShelterFirewall / (WinPatrol Bundle on 2nd pc)
AppGuard
Vmware Workstation / Sandboxie / ShadowDefender
VPN Proton Mail / VPN Phantom Avira Pro
Paragon
SecureAPlus + Zemana and Malwarebytes o/d
KeePass / VeraCrypt

Summary profit:
Firewall + HostsMan domain black list
HIPS + (2x)Partial anti-exe from AppGuard and Sandboxie feature
SRP (3x) AppGuard / SpyShelterFW and Sandboxie
Isolation ((2x)+1) on main Shadow Defender + Sandboxie optional VMware
VPN i use only 1 in same time ^^ but i have 2 to chosen if other dont work but it never yet happen ^^
Backup by Paragon in stand alone not conected HDD

From this all setup only SecureAPlus is not lifetime key for me, rest are does <3

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Maybe one thing would be to take NVT ERP to the extreme to see if I can come up with a reusable template for Windows 7. It's very tedious digging through NVT, so that's the reason it's so difficult. Command line wildcarding can be tricky too. I'd like to be able to have this template for use on any W7 PC as the starting point, including program settings, allowed processes, and common Windows command lines/wildcard versions of them.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
My changes would be -

Further penetration testing on my network. Evaluation of new network based technologies for security.

Also, I simply must find a proper OS replacement for Windows on systems at home that don't absolutely need to run Windows. So far that search has been rather fruitless and frustration is mounting. But hopefully in 2018 I will make that transition away from Windows, which at this point I view as a virtually unsecurable system in the modern age.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
^^ I'll be doing exactly this too. As far as security suites go KIS is my sweet spot, lots of config options, easily lock a system down. I'll be using Forticlient with a Forti device on another system, but apart from that I'm going do to what Umbra is doing - just keep building on what I already have.If I find a better VPN I'll switch. But KIS will be staying on my main machine, if you takeaway the sandboxing it's like CIS done correctly. It's a very strong suite indeed and the tweaks and rules that actually stay and don't disappear are endless. I will be trying out other security set ups on an old tower I have.

I'm thinking of switching to Forti DNS although with Kaspersky's web filtering I'm not sure it would add much by way of protection.

Remember, every Fortigate Appliance comes with 10 Free FortiClient (paid) licenses for the full suite. So you can dispense with Kaspersky and go with the fully actualized FortiClient on your endpoints, then supplement it with something like OS Armor, Voodooshield or whatever if you like. Fortiguard DNS is another layer and probably has better malware domain lists than KIS. IMO. Also since the DNS is on your router it will provide FortiGuard DNS filtration for every device in the home.

Also note, FortiGuard DNS is quite private and has very limited logging most of us in IT consider it quite close to anonymous. Only threat IPs are stored, other IP resolutions are purged every 48 hours and not stored for analytical reasons or sold to third parties. Remember, FortiGuard DNS is NOT advertised to the general public, it's free and nobody is blocked from using it, but the primary intended purpose is for corporate clients to use as their primary DNS forward location. So you are getting what amounts to secured, private, highly effective enterprise DNS. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Remember, every Fortigate Appliance comes with 10 Free FortiClient (paid) licenses for the full suite. So you can dispense with Kaspersky and go with the fully actualized FortiClient on your endpoints, then supplement it with something like OS Armor, Voodooshield or whatever if you like. Fortiguard DNS is another layer and probably has better malware domain lists than KIS. IMO. Also since the DNS is on your router it will provide FortiGuard DNS filtration for every device in the home.

Also note, FortiGuard DNS is quite private and has very limited logging most of us in IT consider it quite close to anonymous. Only threat IPs are stored, other IP resolutions are purged every 48 hours and not stored for analytical reasons or sold to third parties. Remember, FortiGuard DNS is NOT advertised to the general public, it's free and nobody is blocked from using it, but the primary intended purpose is for corporate clients to use as their primary DNS forward location. So you are getting what amounts to secured, private, highly effective enterprise DNS. :unsure:
That's sealed the deal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.