Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can't your load the 'I don't care about cookies' extension in AdGuard? I know I can in the AdGuard application, but I'm not sure about the AdGuard Extension.

Personally still yo-yo-ing between MB Browser Guard and BitDefender TrafficLight. I like BD TrafficLight, but I'm not sure I should pick it above MB Browser Guard.
You sure can add the filters from I don't care about cookies in AdGuard and uBlock Origin and eliminate one more extension, but the extension does more. You can for example see that on some Dutch sites where you need to allow a whole bunch of cookies to see all content.
With just the list I sometimes get "you need to allow social media cookies" and I can't see all the content.
From the extension site:
Be aware that the filter list is not as effective as a browser extension but it will hide most cookie warnings.
And that is simply true for a lot of Dutch websites.

EDIT:
About MB Browser Guard and Bitdefender TrafficLight.
I find TrafficLight lighter on the browser and both give you great protection, so I went with TrafficLight.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Comparing uBlock Origin/Nano with AdGuard is like Android to iOS.
You can tinker more with uBlock Origin/Nano and I really like their dashboard.
AdGuard is more like set and forget and slightly more difficult to see what's blocked.
Well, AdGuard had NeatURL/ ClearURLs cleaning URL tracking feature. uBlock Origin doesn't ;)

That's why i switch from uBlock Origin to AdGuard after using it years.
Also the AdGuard UI is better (y) but of course that doesn't make uBlock Origin bad.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Firefox:
1Password X
Malwarebytes Browser Guard
AdGuard

Chrome:
1Password X
Windows Defender Browser Protection
AdGuard

Edge (Chromium):
1Password X
AdGuard

Switched from uBO after a long time to Adguard to try it out. Also, I can't seem to choose one browser, though Chrome is rarely used. :ROFLMAO:

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Warning!
"popunder" block opening new tabs

Firefox doesn't has the same good Sandbox Chromium browser's have so security wise your choice is easy ;)
Not at all, for example it cannot block on click = window.open.
The only way i found for block all opening new tabs is popup blocker strict.

Reactions: Cortex

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm giving NoScript a test drive, but it requires work. I think I may prefer Brave's JS control feature, which is not as full-featured as NS but gives more granular control than other Chromium browsers, e.g.Edge and is easier to use than NS. I like easy. ;) We'll see after a few more miles ...

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If they are responsible enough for a famous extension, they might fix it sooner. One extension that seems capable of tons of things.

Last update: December 12, 2017

P.S. I like the Opera malware site warning :)
1588176211124.png

Retro spaceship!

You are now the reigning "Tweaker King". Kees1958 must be following you as a lurker. You make him proud! :LOL:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm giving NoScript a test drive, but it requires work. I think I may prefer Brave's JS control feature, which is not as full-featured as NS but gives more granular control than other Chromium browsers, e.g.Edge and is easier to use than NS. I like easy. ;) We'll see after a few more miles ...
You found a new hobby... ;)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@oldschool thanks I will carry that flag with care, but I need to give credit to the original tweakers

Kees1958 >> only allow safe passive third-party content from insecure websites: (more useable version of uBO hard mode for insecure HTTP)
HTTP://*$3p,~stylesheet,~image,~media

Yuki2718 >> only allow third-party scripts and frames on a few top level domains: (more useable version of uBO medium mode for HTTPS)
HTTPS://*$3p,script,frame,domain=~com|~eu|~info|~net|~nl|~org

Tiamati >> disable hyperlink auditing and sending beacons through ping (I added flash-objects and popunders)
||*$object,ping,popunder

Note:
1. The syntax used is uBO specific.
2. Enable advanced dynamic filtering to override or fine-tune above settings per website when needed.

Last edited:

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
So to understand correctly this tweaks are only for uBO and if I want to put them in AdGuard extension-custom rules they do nothing because of different syntax?
Maybe is a dumb question, so don't shoot me.....
Is there a way to be compatible with Adguard syntax to make extension. better / powerful?

Last edited:

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
So to understand correctly this tweaks are only for uBO and if I want to put them in AdGuard extension-custom rules they do nothing because of different syntax?
Maybe is a dumb question, so don't shoot me.....
Is there a way to be compatible with Adguard syntax to make extension. better / powerful?
Here you go (AdBlockPlus and AdGuard)

Kees1958 >> only allow safe passive third-party content from insecure websites: (more useable version of uBO hard mode for insecure HTTP)
HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media

Yuki2718 >> only allow third-party scripts and frames on a few top level domains: (more useable version of uBO medium mode for HTTPS)
HTTPS://*$third-party,script,subdocument,domain=~com|~eu|~info|~net|~org|~ro|~it

Tiamati >> disable hyperlink auditing and sending beacons through ping (I added flash-objects)
||*$object,ping

Notes:
You should add the country code of the languages yu can read, e.g. changed NL (Netherlands) to RO (Romania) and Italian
As far as I know, AdGuard does not copied the uBO popunder feature, because AdGuard offers a popup-blocker also (link on Github)

AdGuard said:
Install a userscript managers in your browser like Tampermonkey. After installation copy the script URL in the browser's addresbar: https://userscripts.adtidy.org/beta/popup-blocker/2.5/popupblocker.user.js (it should install automatically).

1588333246289.png

TIP: use the Adguard popup blocker on demand by changing tampermonkey's site access to on-click (see below)
1588337688030.png

When a website throws nasty popups or popunders which are missed by your browser, just click on the tampermonkey icon
1588337782328.png

This on demand option works with Adguard Popup blocker and not with popup blocker strict or proper blocker (at least I did not get that working with the popup extensions).

@oldschool noticed that your enthousiasm on Brave convinced me 😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.