Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Maybe you should show me how the below are possible from your quotes. Preventing keyboard behavioral profiling done by Keyboard Privacy can be achieved with ScriptSafe's. Is it buggy?
Scriptsafe allows you to do this:
Screenshot (657).png
.. what Keyboard Privacy description claims to do:
Extension description: Prevents behavioral profiling by randomizing the rate at which characters reach the DOM
Decentraleyes can be replaced by other extensions in use and their filters.
My bad. The option to remove metadata in CDN requests does add to privacy.
User-Agent Spoofing feature don't work in Scriptsafe (see below pictures)
I would report to the developers. If they are responsible enough for a famous extension, they might fix it sooner. One extension that seems capable of tons of things.
zwBlocker vs Detect Zero-Width Characters. See the difference? I won't be going into the rest of the extensions you mentioned.
Then why use both?
I am not suggesting Adguard over uBO. But if it can do the primary function of 2-3 other extensions, it might be worth replacing. And yes, ClearURLs is not necessary for Brave.

@HarborFront I am aware that you have been testing extensions out to find the better ones. My intention was only to possibly reiterate that you need not sanitize every new browser weakness you keep on learning about. Excess could become counter-intuitive as some members suggested.
Quite a few of them are (or will be) from less reputed authors. Not saying that reputed ones are absolutely trustworthy - these can be more prone to targeted vulnerability attacks.
Are they designed to be secure enough? Are they trust-able? Are the devs following secure environment and delivery practices?

One lesser acknowledged idea is that it's not enough to know how to build a feature and build one. It's equally important (if not more) to know how to implement security around your little security product. The devs have to focus also on "what not should happen" other than "what it should do". Analyse, replace or mitigate weaknesses of dependency and approach. Use good coding standards and conventions. Use safe functions, handle data and errors safely with testing... Someone who developed an app or an extension just for the sake of it might perhaps not give weight-age to these factors knowingly and unknowingly. And these extensions essentially have access to almost all of your browsing data on the page.

These variables keep adding up as more extensions are used.. and increases vulnerability from inside and outside. Still if you're comfortable with your jackets, nothing cozy like that ;)(y)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You're just looking at numbers which is wrong way to look at things here. Check the logs instead, if you see missing ads, empty ads plaeholders then compare. ABP is absolutely useless if you import the same filters in uBlock Origin.
uBO likely can see what's being blocked. But ABP extension where to see the log? I also said

Some can be duplicate blocking by ABP but can't find that out in ABP

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
uBO likely can see what's being blocked. But ABP extension where to see the log? I also said

Some can be duplicate blocking by ABP but can't find that out in ABP
I never used ABP so don't know how to see the logs but there should be an option there. Anyway, just import the filters you want in uBO and disable ABP. It's the way to go. Try it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
View attachment 238247

I would report to the developers. If they are responsible enough for a famous extension, they might fix it sooner. One extension that seems capable of tons of things.

Then why use both?
I am not suggesting Adguard over uBO. But if it can do the primary function of 2-3 other extensions, it might be worth replacing. And yes, ClearURLs is not necessary for Brave.

@HarborFront I am aware that you have been testing extensions out to find the better ones. My intention was only to possibly reiterate that you need not sanitize every new browser weakness you keep on learning about. Excess could become counter-intuitive as some members suggested.
Quite a few of them are (or will be) from less reputed authors. Not saying that reputed ones are absolutely trustworthy - these can be more prone to targeted vulnerability attacks.
Are they designed to be secure enough? Are they trust-able? Are the devs following secure environment and delivery practices?

One lesser acknowledged idea is that it's not enough to know how to build a feature and build one. It's equally important (if not more) to know how to implement security around your little security product. The devs have to focus also on "what not should happen" other than "what it should do". Analyse, replace or mitigate weaknesses of dependency and approach. Use good coding standards and conventions. Use safe functions, handle data and errors safely with testing... Someone who developed an app or an extension just for the sake of it might perhaps not give weight-age to these factors knowingly and unknowingly. And these extensions essentially have access to almost all of your browsing data on the page.

These variables keep adding up as more extensions are used.. and increases vulnerability from inside and outside. Still if you're comfortable with your jackets, nothing cozy like that ;)(y)
View attachment 238247

Then why use both?
I'll take a look at the Keyboard Privacy in Scriptsafe again

Why use both? The 2 pictures of zwblocker (the icon on the right of ClaerURLs) and Detect Zero-Width Characters (the icon on the right of ClearURLs) already tell you the difference. Look carefully at the 2 pictures again.

FYI, in Brave, Adguard Adblocker lacks of the 'Block hyperlink auditing' feature that ClearURLs has. Both also can remove Etags, clear URLs etc overlapping features. Also, I have just added Cookie AutoDelete to Brave to better manage 1st-party cookies which Adguard Adblocker don't recommend.

FYI, I find the 'I don't care about cookies' extension superior than the filter in uBO/ABP

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I never used ABP so don't know how to see the logs but there should be an option there. Anyway, just import the filters you want in uBO and disable ABP. It's the way to go. Try it.
I cannot find the log in ABP extension. It only says show the number of ads blocked. You just install it and see whether can find the log feature is there or not. OK?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Parsh

Difference between Scriptsafe's 'Reduce Keyboard Fingerprinting' feature (below) vs Keyboard Privacy extension (top). Scripsafe's feature does NOT include the adjustment for Dwell time.

Dwell time is the time each key is pressed and gap time the time between key presses.

1588064527462.png

1588064699912.png

Attachments

• 1588064480795.png
    1588064480795.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: Parsh

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
And if you use Adguard Adblocker extension there's is no 'Block hyperlink auditing' feature which is available in ClearURLs and uBO

Hey @HarborFront . I Could make Adguard block hyperlink auditing by adding this rule

||*^$ping

I made a guide for that HERE

I guess the rule is correct, but can you tell me your opinions? ty

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hey @HarborFront . I Could make Adguard block hyperlink auditing by adding this rule

I made a guide for that HERE

I guess the rule is correct, but can you tell me your opinions? ty
Tested, it works. See the pictures in the link of yours. Thanks

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Using Adguard DNS (with adguard DNS the TOP500 blocklist is all I need)

Opera (using for dodgy browsing):
- running with incognito switch (--private)
- set Opera flag: #freeze-user-agent (enable) for a plain Chrome user agent
- WebRTC (disable non-proxied UDP)

Extensions:
1. AudioContext Fingerprint Defender
2. Canvas Fingerprint Defender
3. Font Fingerprint Defender
4. WebGL Fingerprint Defender
5. uBlockOrigin with Top500 and My Filters (see below)

! Block insecure (HTTP) third-party content except stylesheet, image and media
HTTP://*$3p,~stylesheet,~image,~media

! Block third-party scripts and (i)frames except on the listed (top level) domains
HTTPS://*$3p,script,frame,domain=~com|~eu|~info|~net|~nl|~org

! Block plugins, pings (sending beacons) and popunders on all sites
||*$object,ping,popunder

! Strip Google Search (results page) from ads and notices (you might have to change google.com to your country e.g google.ca)
google.com##.xFNJP
google.com###taw
google.com###rhs
google.com###fsl
google.com###bottomads
||google.com/pagead
||id.google.com
||gstatic.com/shopping$domain=google.com
!
! Strip Google Youtube from ads and notices
!
youtube.com###ticker
youtube.com##.ytd-popup-container
||youtube.com/*/scheduler.js$script
||youtube.com/ptracking
||youtube.com/api/stats
||youtube.com/youtubei
||youtube.com/pagead
||gstatic.com/inputtools/images/$domain=youtube.com
/.*instream.*/$domain=youtube.com
/.*midroll.*/$domain=youtube.com

P.S. I like the Opera malware site warning :)
1588176211124.png

Last edited:

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
My extensions now:
View attachment 238393
Microsoft is working on getting Bitdefender TrafficLight in the store.

Can't your load the 'I don't care about cookies' extension in AdGuard? I know I can in the AdGuard application, but I'm not sure about the AdGuard Extension.

Personally still yo-yo-ing between MB Browser Guard and BitDefender TrafficLight. I like BD TrafficLight, but I'm not sure I should pick it above MB Browser Guard.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey in your divine wisdom, which is better Nano Adblocker or Adguard?

If Adguard, what settings would you advice?

~LDogg
I would prefer uBlock Origin over Nano Adblocker because it's the original and currently the best maintained of the two.

Comparing uBlock Origin/Nano with AdGuard is like Android to iOS.
You can tinker more with uBlock Origin/Nano and I really like their dashboard.
AdGuard is more like set and forget and slightly more difficult to see what's blocked.
I like the fact that I can use only +/-52000 rules to get great ad blocking out of the box.

Sites load a little bit faster with uBlock Oigin compared to AdGuard, but that's probably because of the malware protection of AdGuard.
You can turn that feature off.

My settings are here: Q&A - Adblock Detection: How to circumvent

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I would prefer uBlock Origin over Nano Adblocker because it's the original and currently the best maintained of the two.

Comparing uBlock Origin/Nano with AdGuard is like Android to iOS.
You can tinker more with uBlock Origin/Nano and I really like their dashboard.
AdGuard is more like set and forget and slightly more difficult to see what's blocked.
I like the fact that I can use only +/-52000 rules to get great ad blocking out of the box.

Sites load a little bit faster with uBlock Oigin compared to AdGuard, but that's probably because of the malware protection of AdGuard.
You can turn that feature off.

My settings are here: Q&A - Adblock Detection: How to circumvent
Cheers bro, think I may leave Nano on atm then, cheers again bro

~LDogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.