Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

When running a Pihole do you still need uMatrix isn't uBlock is enough at this point?
Yes because with uMatrix you can use sites with higher security & privacy while blocking these domains with PiHole break the whole site and fine granulation isn't possible then.
uBlock Origin / AdGuard can block elements which a DNS blocker can't so it's important too for blocking annoying Ads.

My combination is: PiHole + uMatrix + AdGuard in new Microsoft Edge with internal Anti-Tracking Protection & SmartScreen enabled

S M G

Level 2
Feb 18, 2020
For your setup --> Privacy Possum because it blocks tracking, referers, etags and spoofs fingerprint. Plus it doesn't tend to break webpages.

I wouldn't bother with PB, it pretty much just blocks trackers.
I've been using PP for the last few days and I like it so far (y) I've also been reading the comments on your ClearURLs thread and I'm just wondering if I go with ClearURLs, should I keep PP or is it redundant? I know that ClearURLs blocks eTags, but does it block trackers like Privacy Badger/Possum?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I've been using PP for the last few days and I like it so far (y) I've also been reading the comments on your ClearURLs thread and I'm just wondering if I go with ClearURLs, should I keep PP or is it redundant? I know that ClearURLs blocks eTags, but does it block trackers like Privacy Badger/Possum?
ClearURLs / NeatURL is in first place for removing URL tracking IDs.
Privacy Badger / Possum for blocking website tracker

I recommend just using AdGuard which can do both tasks ;)
And if you want more, combine that with uMatrix

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm just wondering if I go with ClearURLs, should I keep PP or is it redundant? I know that ClearURLs blocks eTags, but does it block trackers like Privacy Badger/Possum?

There is some redundancy besides eTags. ClearURLs blocks tracking elements and some domains (feature is optional). PP blocks trackers, referers and randomizes fingerprinting. The decision to keep both or not depends on your browser, other extensions and their installation priority, and your personal preferences about browser performance, privacy considerations, browser compartmentalization, etc.

Note that Brave browser blocks referers by default and has other built-in privacy protections. You may see more info, including other links, here Brave feature review I use Brave with built-in Shields and ClearURLs and call it a day. Sometimes less is more.

S M G

Level 2
Feb 18, 2020
There is some redundancy besides eTags. ClearURLs blocks tracking elements and some domains (feature is optional). PP blocks trackers, referers and randomizes fingerprinting. The decision to keep both or not depends on your browser, other extensions and their installation priority, and your personal preferences about browser performance, privacy considerations, browser compartmentalization, etc.

Note that Brave browser blocks referers by default and has other built-in privacy protections. You may see more info, including other links, here Brave feature review I use Brave with built-in Shields and ClearURLs and call it a day. Sometimes less is more.
Thanks oldschool. I think I'll only keep ClearURLs for Brave.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just installed Ungoogled Chromium on my Windows host machine and moved Brave ad FF browsers to VM. Practicing browser compartmentalization with Brave handling all the sign-in accounts and FF for non sign-in general web surfing

Extensions for Ungoogled Chromium

1. uBO
2. BP Privacy Block All Font and Glyph Detection
3. ClearURLs
4. I don't care about cookies
5. CSS Exfil Protection
6. Dark Reader
7. Decentraleyes
8. Detect Zero-Width Characters
9. Keyboard Privacy
10. Adblock Plus
11. Netcraft Extension
12. Random User-Agent
13. Redirector
14. WebRTC Control
15. zwBlocker
16 Scriptsafe
17 Cookie AutoDelete

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Just installed Ungoogled Chromium on my Windows host machine and moved Brave ad FF browsers to VM. Practicing browser compartmentalization with Brave handling all the sign-in accounts and FF for non sign-in general web surfing

1. uBO
10. Adblock Plus
16 Scriptsafe
Last time I tried scriptsafe some of the privacy options were not working (forget which but enough to de-install it). uBO seems to overlap with AdblockPlus and ScriptSafe, could you explain why you are using them combined?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last time I tried scriptsafe some of the privacy options were not working (forget which but enough to de-install it). uBO seems to overlap with AdblockPlus and ScriptSafe, could you explain why you are using them combined?
In ABP's advanced setting I leave the fanboy's filters as they are and these will not be included in uBO.

Scriptsafe works but some settings might not work well with some test sites. I mainly use the fingerprinting features. This is typical for extensions with similar fingerprinting features. You may need to combine extensions for effective blocking. The other features I have other extensions to cover.

Reactions: toto_10 and ErzCrz

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

1. uBO
3. ClearURLs
5. CSS Exfil Protection
6. Dark Reader
7. Decentraleyes
9. Keyboard Privacy
10. Adblock Plus
11. Netcraft Extension
12. Random User-Agent
13. Redirector
14. WebRTC Control
15. zwBlocker
16 Scriptsafe
17 Cookie AutoDelete
I’m surprised how few people here have even heard of the CSS exfil extension or exploit. I’m assuming the issue still exists and it could improve security.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I’m surprised how few people here have even heard of the CSS exfil extension or exploit. I’m assuming the issue still exists and it could improve security.
You can test CSS Exfil here

My test

1587999673801.png

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

1. uBO
3. ClearURLs
5. CSS Exfil Protection
6. Dark Reader
7. Decentraleyes
9. Keyboard Privacy
10. Adblock Plus
11. Netcraft Extension
12. Random User-Agent
13. Redirector
14. WebRTC Control
15. zwBlocker
16 Scriptsafe
17 Cookie AutoDelete
As @SeriousHoax said, Fanboys can be used in uBO. Why use ABP?
You can handle main functionality of CookieAutoDelete and I Don't Care About Cookies (using Annoyance filters), ClearURLs (using Stealth mode config) with Adguard extension.
Decentraleyes can be replaced by other extensions in use and their filters.
Blocking font detection in BP Privacy Block All Font and Glyph Detection can be handled by ScriptSafe font anti-fingerprinting (only <canvas> though, not JS...). Is it anyway necessary?
Preventing keyboard behavioral profiling done by Keyboard Privacy can be achieved with ScriptSafe's. Is it buggy?
Detect Zero-Width Characters already does what Zwblocker does, perhaps more.
You can use anonymizing browser flag or Adguard to do what WebRTC Control tries to achieve. WebRTC Control blocks multiple components, though the outcome is equivalent.
You can spoof the user-agent in ScriptSafe itself instead of using a dedicated extension like Random User-Agent.

Somethings you're trying to achieve look unnecessary to me. Also you're installing "one more extension for that" just to get a little more of something.
I am not saying that all of these can be exactly replaced. However the trade-off is worth it IMO. Minimal yet sufficient.
I believe you know that the attack surface increased (internal & external of the extension) as a result of adding more and more is not generally worth it. Having a huge trawl net does not mean that you collect tons of different fishes on the boat at the same time :)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

None extension in the world can spoof the whole unique fingerprint.
Not even the Tor browser can do that.

Extensions can only change the fingerprint, which makes it unique again. Using more anti-fingerprint extensions even make the fingerprint more unique in comparison without these.

Of course you can say that changing fingerprint helps, at least a little bit. But in the end it (sadly!) Doesn't.

Only one thing helps:
Many, many, many user using the same browser without any modifications AND without JavaScript. Period.
And we all know that this will never happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.