Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
But it's still another dev and Gorhill doesn't care about Windows so this port exist.
I guess the port is safe, but it's still another guy who need to be trusted.
If you look at the releases on Nik Rolls GitHub page you see that he doesn't release a thing anymore.
The page even reads "This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only.".
I think that because he created the first uBlock for legacy Edge gorhill (Raymond Hill) can't publish (another) uBlock under his own name in the extension store and just uses the name of Nik Rolls to publish (with a mutual agreement). I remember that he wanted to take over the extension for the (now legacy) Edge but couldn't. This is unfortunately all speculation on my part because I never got an answer from gorhill on Twitter or on Wilders when asking a question about this.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Tiamati

Hyperlink auditing

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
@Tiamati

Hyperlink auditing

ty! i'll take a look

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
uBO, HTTPZ, and Tampermonkey (plus a host of small utilities like "Don't F**k With Paste") on my main FF profile, and AdGuard and Violentmonkey on my secondary FF profile, which I use to check for site breakage or performance issues. I may switch from Tampermonkey to Violentmonkey on my main profile soon, because some members here and at Wilders have expressed privacy concerns about Tampermonkey.

On Slimjet, I use the built-in ad blocker and Tampermonkey, but I may also switch that to Violentmonkey if I'm satisfied with it. I previously had problems importing scripts into Violentmonkey, but those issues seem to be resolved now.

On Edge legacy, my only extension is AdGuard. I almost never use Edge.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@HarborFront sorry missed your post.

Because MT and WS don't set a third-party login cookie, but simply set first party cookies it would be like
@@||malwaretips.com$cookie
@@||wilderssecurity.com$cookie

I don't use the limit lifetime cookie feature, because I am using Edge-Chromium. With the settings @security123 mentioned
(I block setting history through registry and clear cookies on exit with below rules, because using any blank new tab extension will throw a URL-bar error when I use Edge option to clear cookies and history on browser exit).

1587363623025.png

Just click the cookie icon when a cookie is blocked and allow (third-party) cookie as needed

1587365777185.png

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Gone back o basics at the moment. UBO Medium mode was getting tedious and I messed about with a load of url keyword My Filters stuff and found browsing got slower and slower but not sure what it was.

Anyway, UBO in default at the moment and Site Blocker which just blocks things by categories, keywords and you can set some to block during specific times.

I will go back to ublock medium or NoScript at some point, just having a re-think. Oh and trying out ClearURLs.

Erz

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Gone back o basics at the moment. UBO Medium mode was getting tedious and I messed about with a load of url keyword My Filters stuff and found browsing got slower and slower but not sure what it was.

Anyway, UBO in default at the moment and Site Blocker which just blocks things by categories, keywords and you can set some to block during specific times.

I will go back to ublock medium or NoScript at some point, just having a re-think. Oh and trying out ClearURLs.

Erz
I tried uBO Medium Mode for 1 day, but just blocking 3rd-party frames broke so many websites that I reverted back to default mode. If I felt I needed more granular control, I think I'd add NoScript, which I've used before and found easier to manage. (It would probably be overkill for me, however.)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
If you look at the releases on Nik Rolls GitHub page you see that he doesn't release a thing anymore.
The page even reads "This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only.".
I think that because he created the first uBlock for legacy Edge gorhill (Raymond Hill) can't publish (another) uBlock under his own name in the extension store and just uses the name of Nik Rolls to publish (with a mutual agreement). I remember that he wanted to take over the extension for the (now legacy) Edge but couldn't. This is unfortunately all speculation on my part because I never got an answer from gorhill on Twitter or on Wilders when asking a question about this.
Other possible option, Microsoft itself porting Chrome extensions to Edge-chromium extension store and mentioning original (classic) edge authors to prevent IP-issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.