Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Tiamati good recap on Adguard's feature benefits

RE: AdGuard - Overcoming minor inconvenience of limiting lifetime of third-party cookies (from @Gandalf_The_Grey links in above post)

When a websites (say VisitWebsite1Login) uses a third-party cookie to store the password (say Website3CookiePassword) you can add a cookie exception rule to prevent needing to login again after the third-party cookie lifetime has passed by:

USER RULES
@@||Website3CookiePassword.com$cookie,domain=VisitWebsite1Login.com

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

💡 if you are going to use Adguard, don't activate the antipishing function - a lot of people complain about it for slowing down pages.
Please tell me more.

When a websites (say VisitWebsite1Login) uses a third-party cookie to store the password (say Website3CookiePassword) you can add a cookie exception rule to prevent needing to login again after the third-party cookie lifetime has passed by:

USER RULES
Edge can do that too ;)
I block all third party cookies by default and then get a icon in URL-bar which provide the control about cookies and also display every site cookie

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've been using ublock for a long long time. It's excelent!

However, after @security123 told me that Adblock had the possibility to clear urls (as ClearURL extension), i decided to use adguard!

Basically, i'm changing for Adguard for a few reasons:

1) I can disable 1 extension i've been using: Cookies Autodelete and use the auto destroy function from Adguard (and focus only on 3th party cookies)

2) I don't need to add and trust another extension to do something adguard already does: ClearURL

3) Adguard is signed for Microsoft Edge

4) I checked their privacy policy and it's very good!

5) I can enable all filters i was using with ublock (wich is basically all you need). And adguard filters are optimized (meaning they are constantly removing unused rules)

6) it had the main extras from ublock, like blocking WebRTC

💡 if you are going to use Adguard, don't activate the antipishing function - a lot of people complain about it for slowing down pages.
In my WebRTC test of Adguard Adblocker's WebRTC setting against using WebRTC Control extension for Brave

Top picture is using Adguard Adblocker's WebRTC setting. Bottom picture is using WebRTC Control extension.

And if you use Adguard Adblocker extension there's is no 'Block hyperlink auditing' feature which is available in ClearURLs and uBO

1587282702982.png

1587282348137.png

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Tiamati good recap on Adguard's feature benefits

RE: AdGuard - Overcoming minor inconvenience of limiting lifetime of third-party cookies (from @Gandalf_The_Grey links in above post)

USER RULES
Say malwaretips.com and wilderssecurity.com

So how the User Rules will be like?

Thanks

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Nope.
It exist one uBlock Origin in Microsoft store, yes but that's not the original. It's maintained by another guy and is behind official release.
And if i remember correctly this version isn't maintained anymore.
uBlock Origin is now maintained in the core repository

As the new Microsoft Edge is based on Chromium, development of uBlock Origin for Microsoft is done entirely in the core repository, as Microsoft Edge's extension platform is the same as Chromium's. To contribute pull requests or report issues, go to the core repository at gorhill/uBlock.

Downloading uBlock Origin for Microsoft Edge

Check the icon for Edge on your computer and match it to the instructions below:

New Edge based on Chromium

You can install the latest version of uBlock Origin from the Microsoft Edge Add-ons store. This is kept up-to-date with the latest version on the Chrome Web Store.

Legacy Edge

Due to the complexities and time requirements to maintain compatibility with the legacy version of Microsoft Edge, this fork is no longer supported. It is highly recommended that you upgrade your version of Microsoft Edge by downloading the update at Microsoft's website. Once you have updated, follow the instructions above for installation of uBlock Origin on New Edge.
New Edge based on Chromium
You can install the latest version of uBlock Origin from the Microsoft Edge Add-ons store. This is kept up-to-date with the latest version on the Chrome Web Store.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Downloads and versions of uBlock Origin at the moment:
Download - v1.26.0 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - v1.24.4 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - v1.26.0 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - v1.26.0 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
Download - v1.15.24 - Edge Legacy (Microsoft Store) (retired addon)
The Chrome version is a little bit behind the others at the moment.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Downloads and versions of AdGuard at the moment:
Download - v3.4.19 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - v3.4.19 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - v3.3.8 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - v3.4.19 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
Download - v3.3.8 - Edge Legacy (Microsoft Store)
With AdGuard the Opera and the legacy Edge (still supported?) version are a little bit behind.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

But it's still another dev and Gorhill doesn't care about Windows so this port exist.
I guess the port is safe, but it's still another guy who need to be trusted.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Downloads and versions of AdGuard at the moment:
Download - v3.4.19 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - v3.4.19 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - v3.3.8 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - v3.4.19 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
Download - v3.3.8 - Edge Legacy (Microsoft Store)
With AdGuard the Opera and the legacy Edge (still supported?) version are a little bit behind.
Opera not need adblocker ;)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
WebRTC is needed by many streaming services. When it is completely disabled, videos might not work. I think I had issues even with Youtube.

Magic Enhancer For YouTube was recently removed from the store, so I had a hard time finding a replacement, but Enhancer for Youtube did it.

Attachments

• capture_04192020_211432.jpg
    capture_04192020_211432.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 169
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I believe you're mistaken. Since Edge is Chromium it's using @gorhill maintained version.
Nik Rolls doesn't maintain the legacy edge version anymore, according to his post.
Take a look at https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/detail/odfafepnkmbhccpbejgmiehpchacaeak and look at maintainer which is: Nik Rolls

Anyway i'm out. AdGuard is my new solution

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
WebRTC is needed by many streaming services. When it is completely disabled, videos might not work. I think I had issues even with Youtube.

Magic Enhancer For YouTube was recently removed from the store, so I had a hard time finding a replacement, but Enhancer for Youtube did it.
I usually have only problems with website which require you to share screen, or they have some kind of interactive website. Youtube worked always totally fine.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016

USER RULES
Tybm @Lenny_Fox i was looking for that info!!!!!!! I believe i won't need to store any 3th party cookie, but if i need, i'll use that 👏👏👏👏

Please tell me more.
I've read some posts about people complaining they wouldn't use Adguard cause it slowed down pages. A few guys advised that the problem was related with the security features from adguard and suggested to disable them. Everyone i saw testing it, said that adguard became as fast as ublock after those changes. That makes sense, as the only feature that could make a difference in slowing down pages in adguard (compared to ublock) is the antipishing features, as both use mainly the same method to prevente tracking and ads.

Unfortunately, i lost the thread so i can't reference it. And idk it is still a problem. Feel free to test it and post your thoughts if you want.

BTW: my recent tests with Malwarebytes Browser - another browser that is know for slowing down pages - made me believe that the it works exactly the same way as the security features from adguard

Something like this

1587324857251.png

Considering this scheme, i believe that the antipishing system shouldn't slow down loading pages that much... however it seems to be noticeable, as people have been complaining about it.

Edge can do that too ;)
I block all third party cookies by default and then get a icon in URL-bar which provide the control about cookies and also display every site cookie
The problem with that approach is that you have to micromanage all pages you want to allow sites you want to have 3th party. The adguard autodestroy feature allows you to don't worry about 3th party cookies most of the time, as they will be destroyed after some days (or less). If occasionally, you find a problem, you only have to add an exception as @Lenny_Fox mentioned. The bad side is that party cookies are allowed, but if they are not tracking you (as they shouldn't if you are blocking trackers), that should not be a problem. Anyway. i added Privacy Badger to my config to make sure i'm blocking all trackers.

Top picture is using Adguard Adblocker's WebRTC setting. Bottom picture is using WebRTC Control extension.
The reason of preventing WebRTC it to avoid IP leak. As you can see, both tests are prevent your IP to be showed. Disable webrtc protection in adguard and repeat the test. You'll see your ip there.

BTW: if i'm not wrong, the desktop version of adguard is able to completely disable webrtc. You should see a result similar to the bottom image.

And if you use Adguard Adblocker extension there's is no 'Block hyperlink auditing' feature which is available in ClearURLs and uBO
I don't know exactly how hyperlink auditing works and the consequences of it for privacy. Can you tell me more about it pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.