Advice Request What do you do with an unknown publisher?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
^^...i've been using it too... ...but after the end of support i immediately dropped this tool and 'replaced' it by the 3rd party uploader 'WinJa'.
i dropped the VT uploader years ago because of possibly bugs... ...and yes, also because of possibly security risks.
...im always trying to run the latest version/release of a software product.

You can also use the official browser plug-ins to directly scan/send files and links to 'virustotal.com' from within Firefox/Chrome/IE:

source: https://support.virustotal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002700745-Browser-Extensions

source: VT4Browsers – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)
Or simply bookmark the VT-Site. (y)
Don't really see the need of an extension in this case.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
OK, so you'd like to try out a new program and SmartScreen gives you a warning that the publisher is unknown.

What steps do you take to minimise risk of infection or do you simply not run this program?

It is best to run such a file on a virtual machine (for example, VirtualBox) and see what happens.
There is also such a service from Kaspersky - Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.