Battle What do you recommend me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freuderam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
Hello friends of MT, would you give your opinions!
I have 2 notebook, each of them has a very basic and modest hardware in my view. Use Windows 8.1 updt 1
I am a very careful User, but makes 3 years that I'm not infected, but this share my notebook with some members of my family who are quite laity, nor know the basics ..
UAC enabled and Filter smartcreen like to suggestions antivirus free, good choices on the market that can help me, combined to unchecky + MBA + HitmanPro (Scan): Are they:

I do not like Windows Defender, or avg or comodo :)
Thanks...

Last edited:

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
MT... I was going to suggest 360 TS but, I have no idea how much ram he has & other running programs he has. 360 TS is a good choice if he has the ram. I run 360 TS now myself. Its not failed me yet. Its been catching all the nasty stuff so far.

Freuderam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have 4gb of RAM, but the processor speed is 1.6GHz.
I was determined to try 360TS, most engines are not updated, leaving very vulnerable. I found quite interesting 360IS ..
Among 360Is and Emsisoft, both use bitdefender engine, 360 signatures in the cloud, Emsisoft with its engine in development, but receives updates bit (almost in real time, when I used a mere 2 months ago, this is very good) with a large BB .. Take advantage for Emsisoft, I'm still wondering which one to use ..
Without anything consumption of 30% of the total RAM
@marg , al on your PC, the 360TS update the Avira and Bit engines automatically?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
In 360 TS they come disabled by default. I can't understand why they did this. Its easy to enable them by clicking each one. It will take awhile to download the signatures. Once downloaded you can hoover your mouse over Bitdefender & Avira to see the most recent updates. It seems to update signatures daily & sometimes every other day or so but, it will automatically update them for you. Seems you got plenty of ram for anything you choose.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello everyone!

Here are my recommendations:

-Lightweight security product (paid): ESET Nod32 + Windows Firewall (or ESET Smart Security). ESET should have a well-configured HIPS (ask to @manzai for some advice)
-Security product (paid): Emsisoft Anti-Malware and/or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, with Windows Firewall
-Heavy security product (paid): Kaspersky Internet Security

-Lightweight security product (free): Avast! Free Antivirus
-Security product (free): Avira Free Antivirus

Hope it'll be useful for you! ^^

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Hello everyone!

Here are my recommendations:

-Lightweight security product (paid): ESET Nod32 + Windows Firewall (or ESET Smart Security). ESET should have a well-configured HIPS (ask to @manzai for some advice)
-Security product (paid): Emsisoft Anti-Malware and/or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, with Windows Firewall
-Heavy security product (paid): Kaspersky Internet Security

-Lightweight security product (free): Avast! Free Antivirus
-Security product (free): Avira Free Antivirus

Hope it'll be useful for you! ^^
I don't even know what HIPS is and i use ESET Smart Security... :(

Reactions: MrExplorer

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
So, the only way to detect certain rootkits (known as kernel-level or kernel-land rootkits) is to look for them when the operating system is not running.
How do we do that? We use another operating system – one that is small enough to fit onto a CD, or a USB drive and boot the computer off that instead, so the rootkit code is never executed.
Link to the above words.
http://endlessgeek.com/2014/03/bootable-antivirus-windows/

Go with Emsisoft Anti-Malware! Just my opinion!

Reactions: Freuderam

Freuderam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
Going to install Emsisoft AM. Windows Firewall is good right size?
Or recommend a third party firewall?
If I do not like, try the 360IS,TS not updated here.
I already use ESET SS 7 on my other laptop, another laptop like this to try new things ..
Thank you all for the great suggestions ...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Hello friends of MT, would you give your opinions!
I have 2 notebook, each of them has a very basic and modest hardware in my view. Use Windows 8.1 updt 1
I am a very careful User, but makes 3 years that I'm not infected, but this share my notebook with some members of my family who are quite laity, nor know the basics ..
UAC enabled and Filter smartcreen like to suggestions antivirus free, good choices on the market that can help me, combined to unchecky + MBA + HitmanPro (Scan): Are they:

I do not like Windows Defender, or avg or comodo :)
Thanks...

Since this is a shared system it would be advised to create "Limited User" accounts for other people using this system.
Never give out your Administrator password to anyone else. Since you are a very careful user you don't need a power advanced solution.

For Windows 8.1, if you don't want to experience problems and issues associated with third-party security products, I recommend to use Windows default security features. (Windows Defender+SmartScreen+UAC+Windows Firewall).

There is no telling how many threads we already have on this forum about problems with third-party security products used on Windows 8.1. Some examples; security products blocking Windows updates, blocking Windows features, blocking or corrupting network access, blocking metro apps, causing system to run slow or lagging, causing Windows to reboot in constant loops, etc.

Why do you not like Windows Defender? it is the lightest AV on Windows 8.1, it never has false positives, never blocks safe programs or Windows components and never has to be configured. If used with common sense, UAC and Smartscreen it is the perfect solution.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: Freuderam
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.