Spawn

Administrator
MalwareTips Staff
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
What does this Privacy option mean? How exactly does this negatively impact Spotify experience?

If you cannot view the image, it reads:
"Block all cookies for this installation of the Spotify desktop app; read more details here. Please not that enabling this setting may negatively impact your Spotify experience. Changes will be applied after restarting your app."​

1529267715629.png

Image: Privacy options. Spotify desktop app for Windows 10, downloaded from Microsoft Store.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Spotify's desktop app sets cookies to determine what type of subscriber you are, for analytics, targeted advertising and to save your preferences.
As far as I'm aware that "negative" impact only refers to the fact that you'll receive less relevant advertising when using their service.

Slyguy

Level 38
Content Creator
Verified
OS
Other OS
Protip. I went down the rabbit hole with spotify a a year or two ago. It eventually let to direct links with their third party analytical firm and intelligence. The analytics and intelligence gathering on Spotify is controlled by WPP. WPP is operated by Martin Sorrell, a known intelligence asset. WPP takes a good deal of funding from the CIA. WPP provides free, ready-access intelligence to the CIA through their data mining and analytical engines used by companies - such as Spotify.

Nevertheless, that rabbit hole caused me to completely exorcise Spotify from my network and devices.

WPP Agency Takes Funding From CIA Investment Unit

WPP, Spotify Forge Global Partnership

Spotify Just Hired 2 Former WPP Execs to Take Closer Aim at Ad Agencies and Auto Brands – Adweek

Last edited:
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
AVG
Make all of your playlsits secret from your profile page (privacy option is under the cover art) meaning your profile won't show any of your playlists. - Untick the two "Share my activity" boxes in Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Activity Sharing which willhide all of your Spotify social activity from your followers