Advice Request What does this Privacy option in Spotify mean?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What does this Privacy option mean? How exactly does this negatively impact Spotify experience?

If you cannot view the image, it reads:
"Block all cookies for this installation of the Spotify desktop app; read more details here. Please not that enabling this setting may negatively impact your Spotify experience. Changes will be applied after restarting your app."​

1529267715629.png

Image: Privacy options. Spotify desktop app for Windows 10, downloaded from Microsoft Store.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I don't use Spotify but aren't there some Privacy/cookie settings one can use to revert this in either way after the installation?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Spotify's desktop app sets cookies to determine what type of subscriber you are, for analytics, targeted advertising and to save your preferences.
As far as I'm aware that "negative" impact only refers to the fact that you'll receive less relevant advertising when using their service.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Protip. I went down the rabbit hole with spotify a a year or two ago. It eventually let to direct links with their third party analytical firm and intelligence. The analytics and intelligence gathering on Spotify is controlled by WPP. WPP is operated by Martin Sorrell, a known intelligence asset. WPP takes a good deal of funding from the CIA. WPP provides free, ready-access intelligence to the CIA through their data mining and analytical engines used by companies - such as Spotify.

Nevertheless, that rabbit hole caused me to completely exorcise Spotify from my network and devices.

WPP Agency Takes Funding From CIA Investment Unit

WPP, Spotify Forge Global Partnership

Spotify Just Hired 2 Former WPP Execs to Take Closer Aim at Ad Agencies and Auto Brands – Adweek

Last edited by a moderator:

Sophia Jan

Level 1
Sep 11, 2018
Make all of your playlsits secret from your profile page (privacy option is under the cover art) meaning your profile won't show any of your playlists. - Untick the two "Share my activity" boxes in Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Activity Sharing which willhide all of your Spotify social activity from your followers

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.