Advice Request What domains to block on Android to improve privacy

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I know it's a bit of an oxymoron to ask for privacy on Android mobile device, but it's not like we have much of a choice...

The thing is, I found "NoRoot Data Firewall" for Android which:
- gives user per app internet access control
- gives user ability to change Google DNS to something else
- gives user ability to block certain IP's or domains

And here, I'm the most interested in the last one. IP and domain blocking. Are there any known Google IP's and domains that exist purely to harvest data that I could block with this app? I've blocked most of Google apps that I don't use, I've also blocked a lot of Xiaomi apps.

I currently use OpenDNS instead of Google stuff.

And I also block these domains:
googleadservices.com
googlesyndication.com
googletagservices.com
google-analytics.com

Anything else worth blocking?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Looks like a nice app but after installing I lost my Yandex browser connecting.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
doubleclick.net should be blocked because it also belongs to google

the problem with OpenDNS is you have a limited number of domains (~25 if I'm not mistaken) and after you reboot your router, it will generate a new IP and you must update that IP to OpenDNS dashboard or it won't work

What about using Adguard DNS? It might be a bit slow and unstable sometimes but can block some ads and trackers

RejZoR

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
No, blocking s done through the app, I've only mentioned OpenDNS because it's a replacement for google's DNS which is on Android 8.8.8.8 by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.