Battle What free download manager do you recommend?

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Hi friends :)

I wanted to ask you about your experiences with download managers.

I've been using Eagleget, but sometimes I've suffered BSOD through the eagleget.sys file.

I am trying other options, that is why I ask you, since your opinion is very important for me.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if eagleget is causing problems for you, I recommend Free Download manager. There is v5 and v3. I personally prefer version 3 than v5 due to the UI

but of you are using firefox, you can use DownThemAll extension => no need to install any program. Simple but effective enough with proper configurations :)

I saw you main browser is Opera so you can try free download manager

Flashget is outdated. Ninja download manager was very buggy the last time I tried it :)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I voted others and my suggestion would be JDownloader 2. But I dont need it anymore because I own an IDM. ;)
JD is the best free download manager that I have ever used, but when it comes to paid version I would say IDM is the best of all.
I'm likely inclining towards the same verdict, man. JDL v2 is one of the best DL managers I have ever used. Perhaps the only downside is that it requires Java to run properly.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Speed. Files that in my browser are downloaded at 3 Mbps with a download manager I can get up to 17Mbps
Thanks for answer. I remember that I used to have one (not sure which tho, it was long time ago) but I didn't notice any increase in downloading speed. Is there any good portable downloader? I would like to try it again and see if there is any speed difference now. :D

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I use FDM Lite since the stone age.

Thanks for answer. I remember that I used to have one (not sure which tho, it was long time ago) but I didn't notice any increase in downloading speed. Is there any good portable downloader? I would like to try it again and see if there is any speed difference now. :D

FDM can be portable

What is the advantage of using downloaders?

It's faster plus you can continue where you left off.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I like Ninja Download Manager because of its very fast download speed. It is faster than some other download managers. I no longer use it because I purchased a lifetime license for Download Accelerator Manager. DAM works really well, and allows for up to 35 connections to a file.

For installers I download, that I want to be able to check for updates to, I use FlashGet 1.73. Version 1.73 is more stable the newer 1.9.6. V2 and v3 releases of FlashGet don't let you check downloaded files for updates.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
What is the advantage of using downloaders?
I think the main reasons for using download managers are: speed, "resumability", and accessibility to download. Speed of download is the #1 marketing claim. Files are usually reliably resumable even with a slow internet connection, unlike in browsers'. When you want to download something immediately, download managers give you one or two clicks to download it, instead of having no option to download things. These are just some of the features common to most, if not all, download managers.

By the way, I voted Eagleget. So far, it's the closest I could get to have a semi-Internet Download Manager. :D

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
How to make FDM portable

Untitled.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.